Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 12:00 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,420,416 times

Advertisements

I have been told that I am genetically blessed with a great body. I am 5"8 115 (that is with the added muscle lately) and general lankiness with curves in proper places.
I have no butt though. At 44 My arms are starting to get "bat wings"- ugh.
What can I do? I won't do squats because my mom had to get that mesh put in that you see lawsuits for.
I want to get in shape as quickly as possible, can go to gym about 5 times a week.
Right now I do:
  • Modern stair climber at level 5 for 26 minutes and cool down.
  • Leg extension machine sitting and on tummy (3 sets of 10)
  • Leg squats on a sitting machine 35 pounds plus calves and butt work (two sets until it burns.)
  • Bench press machine 40 pounds three reps but I do it above bar, equal to bar and below bar.
  • Sometimes the rowing thing
  • Triceps a lot but they never hurt afterwards. Not sure I am doing them right.
  • I do some contraption that works obliques and arms.
  • I eat garbanzo beans and hot sauce every night before bed (now) for protein. Skip breakfast because I am still full. Don't eat much during the day. Eat more at night...pretty nutritious.
I want:
  • The stomach area flat again (had a baby) even though it looks flat it isn't when I am naked and sitting.
  • I want rounded shoulders, biceps, triceps and calves (which is a lost cause becasue I am too skinny for calves) but I'll try.
  • Quads
  • Hamstrings
Help! Any suggestions to make the process quicker and more efficient with my time. I have no idea how to use the dumb bells either. I have definite tone and no cellulite so that is good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 03:47 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,348,750 times
There's no fast solution to getting in shape and or add muscle/definition, so eliminate that thought process. First and foremost, I would start with your diet.

Beans and hot sauce? What else are you eating?

Old 05-31-2015, 09:47 AM

17,537 posts, read 39,147,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbad View Post
I have been told that I am genetically blessed with a great body. I am 5"8 115 (that is with the added muscle lately) and general lankiness with curves in proper places.
What can I do? I won't do squats because my mom had to get that mesh put in that you see lawsuits for.
I want to get in shape as quickly as possible, can go to gym about 5 times a week.
Right now I do:
  • Modern stair climber at level 5 for 26 minutes and cool down.
  • Leg extension machine sitting and on tummy (3 sets of 10)
  • Leg squats on a sitting machine 35 pounds plus calves and butt work (two sets until it burns.)
  • Bench press machine 40 pounds three reps but I do it above bar, equal to bar and below bar.
  • Sometimes the rowing thing
  • Triceps a lot but they never hurt afterwards. Not sure I am doing them right.
  • I do some contraption that works obliques and arms.
  • I eat garbanzo beans and hot sauce every night before bed (now) for protein. Skip breakfast because I am still full. Don't eat much during the day. Eat more at night...pretty nutritious.
I want:
  • The stomach area flat again (had a baby) even though it looks flat it isn't when I am naked and sitting.
  • I want rounded shoulders, biceps, triceps and calves (which is a lost cause becasue I am too skinny for calves) but I'll try.
  • Quads
  • Hamstrings
Help! Any suggestions to make the process quicker and more efficient with my time. I have no idea how to use the dumb bells either. I have definite tone and no cellulite so that is good.
What the heck does that mean? What does your mom "getting mesh" have to do with you doing squats? Squats are one of the best all around exercises a woman can do. I do mine with a kettlebell. No need to do barbell squats.

115 sounds awfully skinny for your height. I am also 5'8" and weigh 147. I have been working out and have a lot of muscle, but I am fairly curvy. I will also say you dont eat nearly enough - do you have an eating disorder? It kind of sounds like it to me. To build muscle you have to eat more.

I can't imagine "bat-wings" at only 115 lbs at your height. Anyway, I have very well-developed arms (at age 65) from doing mostly compound exercises - modified pullups and chinups (assisted), yoga push-ups, dips, hanging knee-lifts, etc. Compound exercises are the way to go. And again - DO SQUATS.

Good luck with it and be patient - it takes time!

Old 05-31-2015, 09:56 AM

781 posts, read 737,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
What the heck does that mean? What does your mom "getting mesh" have to do with you doing squats? Squats are one of the best all around exercises a woman can do. I do mine with a kettlebell. No need to do barbell squats.

115 sounds awfully skinny for your height. I am also 5'8" and weigh 147. I have been working out and have a lot of muscle, but I am fairly curvy. I will also say you dont eat nearly enough - do you have an eating disorder? It kind of sounds like it to me. To build muscle you have to eat more.

I can't imagine "bat-wings" at only 115 lbs at your height. Anyway, I have very well-developed arms (at age 65) from doing mostly compound exercises - modified pullups and chinups (assisted), yoga push-ups, dips, hanging knee-lifts, etc. Compound exercises are the way to go. And again - DO SQUATS.

Good luck with it and be patient - it takes time!
Sounds like she's saying her mother had a hernia, and maybe she has some kind of inherent disposition to hernias or something?

That would be unfortunate if so, because way better than squats would be deadlifts in the traditional stance. Especially if you can get heavy with them eventually. I do those and every d**n muscle in my body is very sore the next day. Except for pecs. Hell, they even hit my calves. Deadlift and something for pecs is a full d**n workout.

Old 05-31-2015, 10:14 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,823,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailSymbolizes View Post
Sounds like she's saying her mother had a hernia, and maybe she has some kind of inherent disposition to hernias or something?

That would be unfortunate if so, because way better than squats would be deadlifts in the traditional stance. Especially if you can get heavy with them eventually. I do those and every d**n muscle in my body is very sore the next day. Except for pecs. Hell, they even hit my calves. Deadlift and something for pecs is a full d**n workout.
I had a friend who injured herself doing squats and she had proper form. Her doctor told her it is more common than you think. I still do squats but I really watch the weight I am using.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:15 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,592,700 times
Running always been my fix 5-6 days a week only consume organics , I added lights weights a few years back and it has really helped kept my upper arms firmer ,plus I do squats, no I don't have a big booty and never will but it's firm.. As for tummy, it's flat no stretch marks or tiger stripes but it's never been the same, I have a small mommie bump ... I'm 51, 5'3 and 115 mother to four...

Old 05-31-2015, 11:33 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,577,118 times
shoulders - lat pulldown machine
triceps - dumbbell row
calves - calf raise using squat machine
quads - leg extension machine
hamstrings - leg curl using leg extension/curl machine

Just as there's a machine for arm curls to work the biceps, there should be a machine in your gym to work your triceps by forcing you to push against resistance in the opposite motion of a curl.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:06 PM

112 posts, read 112,178 times
Quote:
5"8 115
I almost told you to eat some burgers until I realized you're a woman.

Fantastic shape.

Old 06-01-2015, 04:40 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,639,095 times
Squats in general are probably one of the most revered exercises and yet by far one of the most non-sensical and dangerous. I think it's fine to do them as a girl with lighter weight, but the idea that it's a great way to build massive quads as a guy is precarious. Sure, it can work that way, it can be highly successful. But it can also be extremely dangerous to be squatting 300, 400 pounds. I don't want to get into the things that can happen, but let's just say I've seen people's intestines on the outside and I've seen some pretty gross stuff. It's also by no means normal or natural to balance a HUGE amount of weight on a barbel on your NECK / upper back. Who thought that was a good idea? I just don't see it. It's potentially a major problem exercise.

If not for the meatheads in power lifting, it wouldn't be advised for anyone, and I still don't think it should be. There are far more effective ways to build leg strength.

Also 5'8" and 115 is kind of insane to me. My girlfriend is a tiny girl and she is 5'2" about 113. Could she be 105 potentially? Yeah, she could be, but with decent muscularity I really doubt it. I think if anything her body fat percentage would change and her weight would remain about the same. You are WAY under the BMI recommendations for a person at 5'8" and as much as I personally as a guy don't take the BMI seriously, it's not a bad guideline for women.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:31 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,074,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbad View Post
What can I do?
To lose the "bat wings" you'll need to diet down to lose fat and/or exercise to build muscle.

Quote:
I won't do squats because my mom had to get that mesh put in that you see lawsuits for.
What mesh are you talking about and what does that have to do with squats?

Quote:
Right now I do:
Don't lift weights 5 days a week. Beginners get the best gains at about 3 times per week. If you want to go on the other days and do cardio that is fine though.

Quote:
Leg extension machine sitting and on tummy (3 sets of 10)
If you're lying down, you're almost certainly doing leg curls. Does the machine look like this?

Quote:
Leg squats on a sitting machine 35 pounds plus calves and butt work (two sets until it burns.)
A seated leg press? 35 pounds is nothing on that. Are you sure it's not another machine or exercise?

Quote:
Bench press machine 40 pounds three reps but I do it above bar, equal to bar and below bar.
Three reps isn't going to do much for you.

Quote:
Sometimes the rowing thing
Rows are awesome. Are you using a rowing machine?

Quote:
Triceps a lot but they never hurt afterwards. Not sure I am doing them right.
Depends on how you are working them. I personally prefer doing tricep pushdowns on the cable cross machine with a V bar, but most gyms have dedicated tricep machines.

Quote:
I do some contraption that works obliques and arms.
We need more info on this.

Quote:
I eat garbanzo beans and hot sauce every night before bed (now) for protein. Skip breakfast because I am still full. Don't eat much during the day. Eat more at night...pretty nutritious.
If you want protein, why not get it from a better source? Lean meats and/or protein powders would be better. Also, what is your daily food intake like?

Quote:
I want:

The stomach area flat again (had a baby) even though it looks flat it isn't when I am naked and sitting.
Again, you'll have to diet down to lose bodyfat.

Quote:
I want rounded shoulders, biceps, triceps and calves (which is a lost cause becasue I am too skinny for calves) but I'll try.
Not at all difficult to do with a proper exercise plan.

Quote:
- Quads
- Hamstrings
If you're truly dead set against squats, leg press for quads and leg curls for hamstrings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness