Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 06:34 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,074,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Squats in general are probably one of the most revered exercises and yet by far one of the most non-sensical and dangerous. I think it's fine to do them as a girl with lighter weight, but the idea that it's a great way to build massive quads as a guy is precarious. Sure, it can work that way, it can be highly successful. But it can also be extremely dangerous to be squatting 300, 400 pounds. I don't want to get into the things that can happen, but let's just say I've seen people's intestines on the outside and I've seen some pretty gross stuff. It's also by no means normal or natural to balance a HUGE amount of weight on a barbel on your NECK / upper back. Who thought that was a good idea? I just don't see it. It's potentially a major problem exercise.

If not for the meatheads in power lifting, it wouldn't be advised for anyone, and I still don't think it should be. There are far more effective ways to build leg strength.
Nonsense. A squat done properly (as should all lifts) is perfectly safe. The instances that you are talking about were either horrible, horrible form or people just doing absurd amounts of weights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 08:13 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,214,087 times
Pull ups, Leg presses, and bench presses. 3 sets of 15 for each .

Old 06-02-2015, 11:52 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,800,319 times
Agree w/some others who say that weight us way too low for your height. Does not sound healthy to me. Concentrate on diet - eat more. Many don't get how hard it is to eat enough good food to fuel your body and be fit. Fitness is about eating a lot or the right stuff and exercising right. It's not about being skinny.

Eat more, hit the weights. Build on the weights slowly. I recommend you work with a competent trainer for a while who can advise you on food choices and amounts as well as train you at the gym.

Best of luck

Old 06-02-2015, 08:37 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,420,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
There's no fast solution to getting in shape and or add muscle/definition, so eliminate that thought process. First and foremost, I would start with your diet.

Beans and hot sauce? What else are you eating?
Ha! I wrote that in a I'm getting obsessed with working out frenzy! I do eat oatmeal and berries with honey for breakfast. No lunch. Regular dinner.
The garbanzo beans and hot sauce (for flavor) give me protein...I eat them around midnight.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
What the heck does that mean? What does your mom "getting mesh" have to do with you doing squats? Squats are one of the best all around exercises a woman can do. I do mine with a kettlebell. No need to do barbell squats.

115 sounds awfully skinny for your height. I am also 5'8" and weigh 147. I have been working out and have a lot of muscle, but I am fairly curvy. I will also say you dont eat nearly enough - do you have an eating disorder? It kind of sounds like it to me. To build muscle you have to eat more.

I can't imagine "bat-wings" at only 115 lbs at your height. Anyway, I have very well-developed arms (at age 65) from doing mostly compound exercises - modified pullups and chinups (assisted), yoga push-ups, dips, hanging knee-lifts, etc. Compound exercises are the way to go. And again - DO SQUATS.

Good luck with it and be patient - it takes time!
The "mesh" surgery to hold her female and other parts "in." She did a lot of squats and the physician instructed her not to do that as he sees a lot of women with that issue.
I looked up the kettleball and it seems as it takes some of the stress off the body's core. May be a good thing.
Collagen breaks down...it is what it is!
I did have an eating disorder from 13-35 and spent many months being tube fed in a private facility when I was like 88 pounds....so kudos for me for keeping it up to 115 lbs. I am thin boned too so it looks good.
I like your tips...I'll check out the squats and alternatives I swear!
Good for you ...having incredible arms. I've noticed the 50+ ladies spend the most time on their arms and I am beginning to understand why! They can kick it too!

Old 06-02-2015, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailSymbolizes View Post
Sounds like she's saying her mother had a hernia, and maybe she has some kind of inherent disposition to hernias or something?

That would be unfortunate if so, because way better than squats would be deadlifts in the traditional stance. Especially if you can get heavy with them eventually. I do those and every d**n muscle in my body is very sore the next day. Except for pecs. Hell, they even hit my calves. Deadlift and something for pecs is a full d**n workout.
Deadlift...I did look it up OMG for 60 minutes? Is that true? That is a guys thing. I am a girl. I could probably do the bar and that is it! MAybe I'll start out with two!
Below is cited from fda.gov for what my mother has endured- ick!
Pelvic organ prolapse (POP) occurs when the tissue and muscles of the pelvic floor no longer support the pelvic organs resulting in the drop (prolapse) of the pelvic organs from their normal position. The pelvic organs include the vagina, cervix, uterus, bladder, urethra, and rectum. The bladder is the most commonly involved organ in pelvic organ prolapse.
Illustration of a lateral cut-away of the female pelvis showing internal organs.

Supporting muscles and tissue of the pelvic floor may become torn or stretched because of labor or childbirth or may weaken with age. Other risk factors for POP include: genetic predisposition, connective tissue disorder, obesity and frequent constipation.

Many women have some degree of POP, although not all women have symptoms. Women who have symptoms may experience pelvic discomfort or pain, pressure and other symptoms including:

bulge of tissue or organs that protrudes to or past the vaginal opening
leakage of urine (urinary incontinence)
sexual difficulties
It is important for women to consult with their health care provider for proper diagnosis of POP.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Agree w/some others who say that weight us way too low for your height. Does not sound healthy to me. Concentrate on diet - eat more. Many don't get how hard it is to eat enough good food to fuel your body and be fit. Fitness is about eating a lot or the right stuff and exercising right. It's not about being skinny.

Eat more, hit the weights. Build on the weights slowly. I recommend you work with a competent trainer for a while who can advise you on food choices and amounts as well as train you at the gym.

Best of luck
Thank you...I must admit I am afraid to eat too much for fear of getting that bulky look! Maybe I can just eat a chicken salad for lunch. I eat a lot of beans and broccoli. Love them.
Thanks for the input.
One thing...my stomach is not perfectly flat unless I lay down. It doesn't stick out too much but I don't like it. Also, I have no butt and I am trying to build, or at least tighten what I have. So depressing...
Thanks for your input!

Old 06-02-2015, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Pull ups, Leg presses, and bench presses. 3 sets of 15 for each .
Got it! I can do that!

Old 06-02-2015, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Nonsense. A squat done properly (as should all lifts) is perfectly safe. The instances that you are talking about were either horrible, horrible form or people just doing absurd amounts of weights.
Yikes!

Old 06-02-2015, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I had a friend who injured herself doing squats and she had proper form. Her doctor told her it is more common than you think. I still do squats but I really watch the weight I am using.
Making mental note- just use the bar!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness