Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 06:13 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times

Advertisements

The best LA Fitness in Miami. It is huge 100 yards by 50 yards. Row upon row of equipment. It would take half a page to list them all. But only two squat racks and two squat cages.[So you have to plan accordingly to use] Otherwise a dream gym. Considerable step up from the older and cramp ex-Ballys location which this new one replaced. Well the older one had a track. New one does not.

The older gym was crammed with equipment which led to much more interaction and comradeship among regulars as the other fellow would be just a few inches away from you. One could not but help knowing the other person.

Last edited by Felix C; 04-14-2016 at 06:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 09:00 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,248,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den0190 View Post
What equipment and amenities does it have? What's the atmosphere like? Is there anything really special about it?
i go to equinox, so this mushroom walks into the gym and all the girls are staring and chatting at this mushroom, and so i was perplexed. when he was doing the treadmill next to me, i asked what got him so much attention, he said he was a fun guy.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:11 PM

1,904 posts, read 1,045,739 times
LA Fitness....i have a membership that allows me to go to any gym in the country (has to be an LA of course).

Some of the gyms are bigger than others, and the environment of each gym is particular to its surrounding area. Pretty interesting environment....i must say.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:41 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,700,479 times
Embarcadero YMCA in San Francisco. Lap and activity pools, basketball, yoga, Pilates and spin plus Zumba and a variety of other classes. The treadmills and ellipticals over look the ferry terminal and the Bay Bridge. Lots of machines and weights. A wide variety of people of all ages, everyone is helpful. Also it's only 3 blocks from work, no excuse not to work out.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:41 PM

4,566 posts, read 5,421,205 times
I dont have a gym membership at this time, however, I do have anytime access to two different Crossfit boxes here in my area that are owned by friends.

One is located in a very affluent area, the other in a young/hip area. People at both are the same - very cool, down to earth, extremely helpful, BEAUTIFUL, and they workout hard. No goofing around. But what I love most is the comradere and motivation that you get from people working out at both places.

Now, most of my workouts are bodyweight where I can do them at the local park which is near my 5 mile running loop.

Last edited by Kings Gambit; 04-14-2016 at 09:49 PM..

Old 04-14-2016, 10:19 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,504,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
I dont have a gym membership at this time, however, I do have anytime access to two different Crossfit boxes here in my area that are owned by friends.

One is located in a very affluent area, the other in a young/hip area. People at both are the same - very cool, down to earth, extremely helpful, BEAUTIFUL, and they workout hard. No goofing around. But what I love most is the comradere and motivation that you get from people working out at both places.

Now, most of my workouts are bodyweight where I can do them at the local park which is near my 5 mile running loop.
Avoid Crossfit unless you're fond of rhabdomyolysis. My friend is a nurse and she said that she has seen numerous people going into kidney failure as a result of crossfit.

Old 04-15-2016, 05:04 AM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Gold's gym...love it. They have everything.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:33 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Crossfit Pineville.

Pull-up/squat/bench rigs, GHDs, rowers, med balls, slam balls, barbells, bumper plates, kettle bells, resistance bands, Assault Bikes, climbing ropes, sleds, plyo boxes, jump ropes, ski ergs, heavy bags, sledgehammers, etc.

Bathroom/shower/locker room facilities.

The atmosphere is great, like a big family. One of the owners is a PhD in Physical Therapy who also works for a very large orthopedic practice here in CLT.

Old 04-15-2016, 07:08 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,125,575 times
McFit, cheap basic gym. Locations all over Europe, open 24/7 good equipment, some of them can get pretty crowded after work, 20€ pro month. No frills but all you really need.

If I had tons of money I would maybe go to one of the expensive ones with wellness and sauna and such.

Previous gym was in a Boxing club 25 a month with full gym and boxing training some sparring..., was pretty cool but I moved away.

Last edited by GER308; 04-15-2016 at 07:17 AM..

Old 04-15-2016, 08:03 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
I go to a private gym that is open only to trainers and their clients. There's no sign; it's through an unmarked door. If you didn't know it was there you'd never know. I pay my trainer by the hour and she pays the gym rental.

Previously I was at a woman's only gym, which was great. But it was torn down and a high rise is going up in its place. Yes, this is the Bay Area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness