Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2016, 03:35 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
A special note:

Note this doesn't mean obese people aren't to blame for their condition. It's still their fault they got obese in the first place. Also note that nothing of what I said should be considered as an excuse to not try and lose weight. There is also a difference between merely being pretty fat and having high levels of obesity.

The reason I felt the need to create this thread is that I don't like the elitism coming from the fitness community which heavily promotes the idea that obese people are only lazy. I mean don't get me wrong, MOST of them ARE lazy. But there is more to it then that.

Hope this information was helpful and informative

EDIT: Honestly I think this thread should be stickied.
Once the word "fault" is brought out, so is the arrogance of the author. I have only one question. What are the credentials of the OP that anyone should take his word and follow his advice on this subject? I could post what I like on the issue too but that doesn't mean it's correct or that I deserve it to be made into a sticky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 09:13 PM

83 posts, read 77,935 times
Most of the arguments against genetics on this thread use very faulty 'reasoning', to say the least.
I am in the camp of genetics being the driving, but not the only factor.
It's clear that in most comparisons of historical 'obesity statistics' the poster has not established a 'ceteris paribus' condition for the comparison to be valid.

In other words, there are likely several other variables that affect body averages, like the advent of the automobile, or the recent abundance of a huge variety of non-local food, or the incredible explosion of processed 'snacks', or the unprecedented prevalence of electronic devices as entertainment, or modern work-environments that demand little physical effort beyond typing. ..and on and on.

And this just scratches the surface.
In fact genetics may be helpful in decoding the terrible impact of modern civilization on whole populations that were hunter-gatherers living a feast-or-famine existence, such as American Indian tribes, who are prone to high incidences of both obesity AND alcoholism.

But such an admission would betray a predominantly liberal perception that we are all EQUAL and it is solely 'nurture', or our man-made environment that is the culprit, and therefore it is a simple matter to change our ways and all will be made well.

This is the curse of human pride and hubris that blocks our path to genuine understanding.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:50 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greymatter46 View Post

But such an admission would betray a predominantly liberal perception that we are all EQUAL and it is solely 'nurture', or our man-made environment that is the culprit, and therefore it is a simple matter to change our ways and all will be made well.
Liberal?

Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin.
-- Romans 7

The belief that we are not slaves to our genetics is not liberal.

Old 04-28-2016, 06:48 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,471,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greymatter46 View Post
Most of the arguments against genetics on this thread use very faulty 'reasoning', to say the least.
I am in the camp of genetics being the driving, but not the only factor.
It's clear that in most comparisons of historical 'obesity statistics' the poster has not established a 'ceteris paribus' condition for the comparison to be valid.

In other words, there are likely several other variables that affect body averages, like the advent of the automobile, or the recent abundance of a huge variety of non-local food, or the incredible explosion of processed 'snacks', or the unprecedented prevalence of electronic devices as entertainment, or modern work-environments that demand little physical effort beyond typing. ..and on and on.

And this just scratches the surface.
In fact genetics may be helpful in decoding the terrible impact of modern civilization on whole populations that were hunter-gatherers living a feast-or-famine existence, such as American Indian tribes, who are prone to high incidences of both obesity AND alcoholism.

This is the curse of human pride and hubris that blocks our path to genuine understanding.
I can't decide if I agree or disagree with you. Do you agree with the idea that there is outside stimuli that is aiding in our society's weight gain or not?

Old 04-28-2016, 09:03 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Liberal?

Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin.
-- Romans 7

Lets leave the Bible quotes out when trying to make a point.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:05 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Lets leave the Bible quotes out when trying to make a point.
Why? Don't conservatives commonly use the bible as a source of conservative reference? If so, then it's a valid source of reference to indicate a conservative point to a conservative.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:20 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I've known people who had such slow metabolisma, that they literally had to be malnourished in order to lose weight. Eating enough to get their essential nutrient, of nutrient dense food, meant weight gain.

If people can be naturally skinny (like most models are), people can be naturally fat.
Do you even realize you just proved that being fat isn't "natural"?

If you are gaining weight, while not getting enough nutrients, you aren't eating the right things. Not knowing the foods to eat that give you nutrients is no excuse for being obese.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:22 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
Quote:
Why? Don't conservatives commonly use the bible as a source of conservative reference? If so, then it's a valid source of reference to indicate a conservative point to a conservative.
This is a forum about exercise and this thread is about obesity. It is neither conservative or liberal and it certainly is not religious.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:32 AM

83 posts, read 77,935 times
Quote:
Liberal?

-- Romans 7

It is liberal in the sense of 'western liberal philosophy' which gave birth to science, empiricism, and free-thinking, which has led us down a path that radical-conservative religions like Islam now so violently denounce.

It is not necessarily 'political liberalism' in the context of American politics that I was referring to, but I can see the connection. The problem with modern political liberalism is that it feels no shame rejecting science, it's birth-child, whenever the evidence produces unpleasant, or unfavorable results for some groups and not others. This stance often creates cognitive dissonance that gets ignored as people articulate the politically correct viewpoints at the expense of intellectual integrity.

But you appear to be a religionist, so this argument will surely fall on deaf ears.

Last edited by Greymatter46; 04-28-2016 at 10:27 AM..

Old 04-28-2016, 10:25 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,279,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
This is a forum about exercise and this thread is about obesity. It is neither conservative or liberal and it certainly is not religious.

Thank you. We seem to be drifting off-topic here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness