Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2016, 02:49 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,538,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post
Exercise helps speed up weight loss and increases metabolism but is not necessary.

Emotional support is not needed if you're strong-willed and/or not weak-minded.

Behavior modification has no physiological effect on weight loss.

The only thing that does have a physiological effect on weight loss is: cutting calories.

So, you're wrong, "simply cutting" is exactly how you lose weight at any age.

Really, most fat people I meet are weak people. They'd rather circumvent the actual problem and say "anything but eating less! give me a pill! give me some atkins/south beach/low carb/low fat/bullcrap diet!"

Then, when things fail, they're quick to blame their friends or significant other for not doing enough. Or, they'll find another "thing" to blame.
I blame my metabolism. I have found as I age, my metabolism is going down at an alarming rate. I used to be able to drop 10 pounds in a few weeks. Now I find the same weight loss takes months. It makes me very angry but there's nothing I can do but stick to my lower carb/lower calorie diet and wait it out.

I have now decided that I HAVE to alter my yester-year's eating habits to lose or stay at my goal weight (once I reach it)

How I love food and love eating, (carbs especially) but I'd rather deprive myself of those extra carbs than have to buy Plus Size clothes and I was getting very close last time I gained
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 05:43 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,228,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I can see that but there are issues.
We have FAR LESS TIME these days. How many jobs do we see where people are at their desks and the longest walk is to the bathroom or lunch rooms? Not everyone has a job that doubles as exercise if even walking. Then we see a good number of people not live close to public transit so they drive back and forth to work. So when we get home we eat easy meals (throw in the microwave or go through the drive-thru) and don't have time to work out or even get less sleep than we should because of the "grind."
That's a a legitimate issue for a lot of people. But the gym, the biking and jogging trails, etc are packed with people who have jobs and families and responsibilities. If it's important, we make the time; if it's not, we make excuses. Everybody can carve out 30-45 minutes to take care of their body. Everybody can get into the habit of batch-cooking and meal planning for the week. Everybody can bring their own snacks to work instead of stopping at the vending machines. Everybody can choose not to keep junk in their cabinets and fridge.

Old 04-26-2016, 05:48 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,621,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
There is something extremely wrong with your workouts. If someone hammers the bike for 2 hours they can pretty much eat everything in sight and their weight won't go up. It's physically impossible. When I'm training and putting in serious time working out I lose weight even eating 4 giant meals a day. Your body is just another form of engine that burns fuel.

The only time I've ever gained is when I'm sick and don't change my caloric intake. Oh, that and I really like good beer.
I think the most widespread mental illness is the one that manifests itself in physically healthy people as a belief that oneself is the archetype of the human experience, as if the only reason we are not identical in all ways is the lack of motivation.

Nothing is more entertaining that listening to someone demonize hundreds of millions of people around the world because "they are too lazy to be like me".

I picture Usain Bolt looking with distain at the great mass of humanity as a bunch of slackers for not meeting his achievements, after all it is 100% due to his 'motivation' and 'determination' alone and not any type of genetic or other 'lucky' factors.

Last edited by rugrats2001; 04-26-2016 at 06:20 AM..

Old 04-26-2016, 06:38 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,275,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
I think the most widespread mental illness is the one that manifests itself in physically healthy people as a belief that oneself is the archetype of the human experience, as if the only reason we are not identical in all ways is the lack of motivation.

Nothing is more entertaining that listening to someone demonize hundreds of millions of people around the world because "they are too lazy to be like me".

I picture Usain Bolt looking with distain at the great mass of humanity as a bunch of slackers for not meeting his achievements, after all it is 100% due to his 'motivation' and 'determination' alone and not any type of genetic or other 'lucky' factors.

The flip side of this blaming genetics and advocating that there is nothing that the majority of people can do, like the OP and EvilCookie.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:12 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,278,566 times
clearly some people have a genetic advantage, but there's no law that says you have to eat.. if you are overweight and you stop eating, or eat only protein and fat, with zero carbs, you will lose weight, and you're not going to die from it. You might feel uncomfortable, but that's the effect of ketosis. It's about how badly one wants to lose the weight versus the benefits of giving into impulses and enjoying delicious food. I've seen really large people literally cut their weight in half, and I've seen lots of overweight people eating stuff from the vending machine at work that they have no way they can come to me and complain about how it's their genes. I've seen other people at work pile down 3000 calories at work alone and they are thin as a rail, something I could never do. Damn genetics.

Old 04-26-2016, 08:59 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,333,368 times
Quote:
I can see that but there are issues.
We have FAR LESS TIME these days. How many jobs do we see where people are at their desks and the longest walk is to the bathroom or lunch rooms? Not everyone has a job that doubles as exercise if even walking. Then we see a good number of people not live close to public transit so they drive back and forth to work. So when we get home we eat easy meals (throw in the microwave or go through the drive-thru) and don't have time to work out or even get less sleep than we should because of the "grind." This is especially true if you are a single parent.
Drinking enough water is an issue in a good number of places (not so much AZ due to the heat) due to the fact that we have far too many other choices that allow us to say I want an energy drink, I want a Gatorade, I want a soda, etc. over the non-sexy water option. I don't mind water actually but I personally like Smart Waters more and they have the electrolytes that Gatorades and Vitamin Waters have while being water otherwise. And that came after years of drinking sodas, Gatorades and even energy drinks. I have dropped a good amount of non-water from my diet (except meals.)
The main thing I will agree with that is just stupid for humans to do is addictive behavior. I wouldn't include food in this but alcohol, tobacco, marijuana, heroin, meth, etc. are. Sadly most people realize they are vices far too late in the cycle.
Your offering excuses as a reason to not lose weight. The majority of weight loss comes from a change in diet. I have heard anywhere from 70% to 80% of weight loss is diet driven which makes sense because we can all eat calories faster than we can burn them off. You can find plenty of easy meals that use real food to make them. Energy drinks, although I am a fan of Rock Star, are not exactly good for us.

It's easy to say that but it isn't easy to do. It takes a LOT of retraining. After so many years, your brain gets wired into thinking you can only eat this way. I had to cut out carbs last year after I had my gallbladder removed. Luckily if I eat too many carbs, my stomach feels it. I become gassy and bloated from it. Other people don't and wont realize it until it is too late to fix.
True, the brain is an amazing thing. If you think it you can achieve it. Most people do not want to think about the results that they can get. it is easier to do what they have been doing.

Of course but back then you didn't have people doing Taco Bell on night, McDonalds the next night, KFC the night after that and then feel bad and hit Subway on the fourth day only to do a Red Robin the night after.
I agree. When I was growing up we ate at home 99.9% of the time and eating at home meant breakfast, lunch and dinner. No snacks in between. Interesting that maybe we the people need to change where we eat and how we eat, as in preparing meals as a family. (I took a lunch to school that was made at home when I was a kid) Oh and talking about schools, they now feed kids breakfast, a nutrition brake, lunch,and some schools offer a snack before the kids go home. Wonder why kids are fat?

When I was younger, my parents would only let me get a Big or Double gulp if we were traveling far. If not until my teen years, it was just the gulp. Now I go for value which is that McDonald's large. Then again, those Monopoly games don't hurt it...
I don't see any value in eating more than I need to eat. Just because you can stuff a bunch of food in your stomach does not mean that you should. Your stomach is not that big. It works more efficiently when it has less in it.

To the bold, it is rare that you can truly reverse diabetes. You may not need anything other than pills but that's it. Most people can't do it and it's not a diet and exercise equation thing, it's just their levels for blood sugars, A1C and all that. I am entirely glad your mother did but that is entirely the exception to the rule. So I wouldn't suggest that you claim it is. It is possible but not probable.
The only rare thing to reversing diabetes is that someone would actually go to the extremes that my mom went to. 99.9% of people will not listen to their healthcare provider. They want to live a life full of fast food and high fructose. My mom was persistent in asking her doctor how to fix her problem without drugs. Her doctor told her that it was easier to take the drugs. My mom told her she did not care about easy, she cared about her life. The doctor explained what she had to do, and told her that she doubted my mom would do what was needed to change her situation. My mom went home and was determined to change her life. She was a success and today looks amazing. It is all in the choices that we make.
My comments are above.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:56 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,883,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
That's a a legitimate issue for a lot of people. But the gym, the biking and jogging trails, etc are packed with people who have jobs and families and responsibilities. If it's important, we make the time; if it's not, we make excuses. Everybody can carve out 30-45 minutes to take care of their body. Everybody can get into the habit of batch-cooking and meal planning for the week. Everybody can bring their own snacks to work instead of stopping at the vending machines. Everybody can choose not to keep junk in their cabinets and fridge.
Don't you just love how people turn legitimate issues into excuses? I know I do...

Old 04-26-2016, 10:47 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,228,022 times
Quote:
Don't you just love how people turn legitimate issues into excuses? I know I do...
The issues are legitimate, but excuses are what keep us from working around those issues.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:21 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,165,175 times
I'm not sure eating 15k calories a week and working out 3 days a week is a good diet for an obese person. It's probably a great maintenance diet, but definitely not a diet designed to induce weight loss.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:29 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,463,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
The issues are legitimate, but excuses are what keep us from working around those issues.
I agree with this. Ultimately, it's how you deal with the obstacles in your life that keep you from being thin and healthy. While the concept of losing weight, in itself, is no rocket science, it's how you control outside stimuli that keep you from reaching those fitness goals.

For one thing, your family should be supportive. If your spouse is a constant obstacle that is keeping you from reaching your fitness goals, then weight loss is going to be tougher.

Your friends can also affect your weight loss. If they expect you to socialize with them for drinks or Mexican food night every week, then you have to really watch it the rest of the week or you have to decide which is more important to you, your health or your social life.

Usually for me, my biggest obstacles are family and friends. I can eat healthy everyday of the week, drink nothing but water, spend two hours in the gym everyday of the week, and I'm perfectly happy. But, I have a wife who constantly sneaks in dough nuts, boxed pizzas, and frozen meals. Also a wife that would like for me to cut my workouts down to a half an hour instead of the hour and half I workout. She's the same boat as I am with needing to get back in shape. But she hasn't quite caught on to the diet portion yet. She does spend time in the gym though!

Then I have friends who constantly want to eat out at Mexican and Pizza places, drink lots of beer, and go to social events where friend foods and alcohol are the norm. I'll admit, the last two things I LOVE as well! BUT, I treat those things as a once in awhile sort of thing. I can't do that stuff on a weekly basis!

So, my whole point is that one is going to have more to deal with than simply eating fewer calories. You really do have to make it into a lifestyle change - not just with exercise and food, but with your friends and family. Sometimes, though, there are going to be cases where your friends or family come first before your athletic needs. Especially during times of crisis. But, weight loss journeys do usually consist of more than just what you put in your body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness