Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2016, 08:13 AM

19,786 posts, read 22,688,984 times

Advertisements

In U.S., Self-Reported Weight Up Nearly 20 Pounds Since 1990

Americans Getting Taller, Bigger, Fatter, Says CDC

It's no secret that Americans are getting larger. We also work more sedentary jobs and there is a propensity towards eating more processed foods than ever before.

I know I fell into that trap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 08:18 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,325,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
Ohhhh geeees. Its like the nicotine addict saying they quit and then sneak a smoke when nobody is looking. You can't cheat your body . people take in 2k worth of calories at one meal........I'm sure people try hard to be healthy but why try and fool other people.... ?

The last time I ate fast food was at Culvers - I was planning on ordering the cheese curds but fortunately Culvers lists the calories of their food on the backboard. Good for us, probably not so good for them as when I saw how many calories a small serving of those cheese curds are I didn't get them. When I went to Beef O'Brady's a few months ago with family I noticed that their chicken wings were over 1000 calories! That's almost my entire calorie allotment for the day. I think people who eat out a lot, whether a restaurant or fast food will have a harder time losing weight because they are clueless as to the amount of calories they are consuming.

I have steadily been losing about 1-2 pounds a week just by being very mindful of what I eat. Little to no carbs, no sugar except a small dessert on Sunday and I've cut down my portions to what is considered normal. I didn't realize how large my portions were. Now I can eye the food in my plate and know whether the portion is correct. I drink water or unsweetened tea where I used to have a Coke every day. I haven't felt deprived and I am enjoying having to tailor most of my clothes now. I was pre-diabetic and my numbers are coming down thanks to my new way of eating and the Metformin. My father died of pre-diabetic complications and my mother's side also has diabetes. I didn't want to end up with that horrible disease.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:32 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,844,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
Ohhhh geeees. Its like the nicotine addict saying they quit and then sneak a smoke when nobody is looking. You can't cheat your body . people take in 2k worth of calories at one meal........I'm sure people try hard to be healthy but why try and fool other people.... ?
True. When I go to Macaroni Grill I notice, bread, main course, dessert is about 2000calories!! I rarely eat that much at home in one setting. I can think of twice this year I did eat so and those were after double workout days where I expended a great deal of calories in 2hrs of intense activity.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:42 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,474,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
Ideally people should exercise 6-7 days a week, and sometimes even multiple times a day.
I would say this is quite excessive and probably not realistic. Most people can get in shape and stay in good shape working out 4-5 days a week, once a day. The body needs rest as well.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:44 AM

13,658 posts, read 9,724,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
Except that once your body's metabolism starts slowing down, it also starts burning fewer calories. ...There is a problem of diminishing returns when it comes to fat loss. Cut calories and you lose some weight until your body adapts by slowing metabolism ... Cut more calories and you lose some more weight but at a slower pace because of lowered metabolsim, until that also stops as your body starts slowing metabolism even more. Cut even more calories and you will lose some weight again but even slower etc. At some point you just hit a brick wall where cutting calories no longer works.
Of course, there's an asymptotic relationship; but only so far. Take this to its logical conclusion, and a zero-calorie diet (abject starvation) results in zero weight loss? If so, this should be excellent advice for developing-nations that still suffer from sporadic famines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamillaB View Post
So explain why I can fast and gain weight? How does THAT happen?
Presumably this is from temporary variations. At the risk of being somewhat facetious, one could cut one's diet to what was available in the Warsaw Ghetto in 1942, and leave it there for a year. Body-weight will decline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
... I don't think this has ever been tested, due to the obvious reasons.
But, would it be possible for an overweight person to die of starvation before he goes down to a skeletal, dangerously low weight?...

So say a overweight person could just stop eating. ...would the person, especially one whose metabolism doesn't quite function as it should, die of malnutrition long before they get to that stage?...
This was tried in the 1940s in central/eastern Europe, in some rather unsavory circumstances. Given the meticulous recordkeeping of the times, I'd be surprised if there isn't data that could be mined to glean the desired information. My unscientific observation is that the body becomes grotesquely emaciated well before critical systems shut down.

Old 04-27-2016, 10:53 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,230,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Read the link posted within that link (the one about the pressure to be thin in east Asian culture). She felt abnormal because she didn't fit the stereotype of a thin a Asian woman. Also, if you do more extended reading on the subject, the lengths women in certain cultures go to be so thin is frightening. There is intense pressure to be thin, and even more pressure to conform to cultural expectations; being overweight is not normalized the way it is in the US.

Again, rather than perpetuating a tired stereotype and hyper-focusing on outliers, look at the cultural and lifestyle differences than cause some to be more "naturally" thin than others.
There isn't a pressure on Asian men to be thin - in fact I have heard of Asian guys complaining that they have a lot trouble gaining muscle to get to a Caucasian muscled male ideal even following the same routine and diet. Why is that?
Come on, you can't deny that Asian people (just like a number of people in other races, just that percentage is higher in Asians) have a different build - it's not even just about the weight, they're smaller overall, bone structure, height, why wouldn't that extend to weight?

According to that author, I'm not the only one making that conclusion. She says:

Surrounded by petite Asian adults, I also assumed that I would grow up to be the same way. Effortlessly, easily, thin.

Terms like “Asian-metabolism” and “Asian skinny genes” point toward the expectation that being slender comes effortlessly (and biologically) for people of Chinese, Taiwan, Japanese, Korean descent.

To some extent, there probably is a higher percentage of East Asian women who are naturally thin.

I looked away in anger when we went out to dinner and my thinner friends would order burgers and joke about pigging out while I picked at my salad.

My name is Juliana. I am a seventeen-year-old Taiwanese American. There are many people of my descent who are naturally thin, and who are absolutely beautiful that way.

Old 04-27-2016, 11:08 AM

19,786 posts, read 22,688,984 times
As Obesity Rises, Chinese Kids Are Almost as Fat as Americans - China Real Time Report - WSJ

It seems like we may be good at exporting one thing...

Old 04-27-2016, 11:21 AM

28,679 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
There isn't a pressure on Asian men to be thin - in fact I have heard of Asian guys complaining that they have a lot trouble gaining muscle to get to a Caucasian muscled male ideal even following the same routine and diet. Why is that?
Come on, you can't deny that Asian people (just like a number of people in other races, just that percentage is higher in Asians) have a different build - it's not even just about the weight, they're smaller overall, bone structure, height, why wouldn't that extend to weight?

According to that author, I'm not the only one making that conclusion. She says:

Surrounded by petite Asian adults, I also assumed that I would grow up to be the same way. Effortlessly, easily, thin.

Terms like “Asian-metabolism” and “Asian skinny genes” point toward the expectation that being slender comes effortlessly (and biologically) for people of Chinese, Taiwan, Japanese, Korean descent.

To some extent, there probably is a higher percentage of East Asian women who are naturally thin.

I looked away in anger when we went out to dinner and my thinner friends would order burgers and joke about pigging out while I picked at my salad.

My name is Juliana. I am a seventeen-year-old Taiwanese American. There are many people of my descent who are naturally thin, and who are absolutely beautiful that way.
Except that it doesn't occur with 3rd generation Asian-Americans, so it's not about genes, it's about diet and culture.

Old 04-27-2016, 11:44 AM

174 posts, read 190,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Except that it doesn't occur with 3rd generation Asian-Americans, so it's not about genes, it's about diet and culture.

Right. Differences in BMR alone are actually fairly trivial when you're trying to figure out why one person is normal weight and the other obese. Diet and exercise are the major players. And diet does not just mean seafood vs. chicken nuggets - it's how MUCH of EITHER one of them. Exercise does not mean taking the stairs to the 2nd or 3rd floor in this context.

These people who think I can just eat entire cheesecakes for lunch because I was gifted with a fast metabolism or run a few miles day - I alternate between being pissed off and feeling sorry for them.

But to let you in on a little secret - sometimes I intentionally let myself be seen eating a Big Mac for lunch because I know it gets to them. If they're too lazy or apathetic or think it's just plain silly to actually put their salads on a food scale while pouring on the dressing, then doing some simple math to figure out they just ate twice as many calories as I did - that's on them.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:20 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,767,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
And the fact that you can change a whole country's weight profile shows that you can change people's weight, period. Germany used to be the most obese country in the world; now they have slimmed down a great deal and we have swapped places with them, although Mexico appears to be working hard to win the gold medal in this category. China can get a grip and start slimming down again, if they decide as a group to do it.

Yes, losing weight is hard, and the longer you've been overeating and sitting on your duff, the harder it is to change that. The older you are the slower it will be. But "hard" doesn't equal "impossible."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness