Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 09:56 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,713,440 times

Advertisements

This metabolism argument is ridiculous. That it simply just keeps slowing down as you lose weight and OH WELL nothing you can do about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, people can speed up their metabolism by building lean muscle mass. That significantly facilitates weight loss. People can lose weight and trim up if they want; they have to really work up their determination, and it can be done.
Truth. If you work out regularly your metabolism increases. It really is that simple. You know what else can increase it?
Simply DRINKING MORE WATER:

Drinking water can boost your body's ability to burn fat. A study published in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism found that drinking water (about 17oz) increases metabolic rate by 30 percent in healthy men and women.

6 Reasons Drinking Water Helps Solve Any Problem | Shape Magazine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 10:05 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,237,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scullyoftoronto View Post
I don't think you understand just how long it takes to lose weight (permanently) and get out of insulin resistance (the "thing" that stops your metabolism from being "normal"). I was obese and each year I lost 24-28 pounds from 260. I started my weightloss in 2010 and I now weigh 123 pounds. It took me nearly six years and I do feel my results will be permanent and that I'm back to "normal".

Other fat or overweight people lose weight too quickly and then always regain and never get out of a metabolic syndrome. It should realistically take 5-10 years (depending on your level of ovesity) of weightloss process and for your body to return to that of a regular person and reverse the damage. Also every obesity related illness can be reversed.
Congrats on the weight loss! One question for you. By losing more slowly, did your skin shrink so you didn't end up with skin hanging off your body? Some of these "extreme weight loss" shows where they lose 300 pounds in a year or so, they all have to have surgery to remove excess skin, so they still never truly look "normal".

Old 04-25-2016, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
So true - I graduated a large public high school in 1972. I could count on one hand the overweight teens in my entire school, NOT just the graduating class.

Look at some of the high school age people now - it's scary, many are either scary skinny or terribly overweight already. What is going to happen to these very overweight teens? They are going to marry, have children and probably feed them the same crap that they are eating which made them fat and in turn their children will be fat and unhealthy.
Most obese adults I know end up with obese children. They pass on the horrible eating habits (feed their children pure crap), and then what might be genetic, the addiction to food.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:36 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,824,977 times
There is nothing sadder than seeing an obese kid. More often than not the parents are also obese. I consider this child abuse. To saddle a child who is at the mercy of their parents eating habits, a lifetime of ridicule (children are cruel), isolation, health issues and everything else that goes along with it. Its a crime.

Old 04-25-2016, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
There is nothing sadder than seeing an obese kid. More often than not the parents are also obese. I consider this child abuse. To saddle a child who is at the mercy of their parents eating habits, a lifetime of ridicule (children are cruel), isolation, health issues and everything else that goes along with it. Its a crime.
Agreed. A good friend of mine who has been obese since childhood now has 3 kids who've become obese adults. She had lap band or gastric bypass and lost a couple hundred pounds, but she's still probably 100 overweight. I took my kids to her house recently for dinner and dinner was cheap greasy pizza and liters of soda. And she still proudly states that she hates fruits, vegetables, and any form of exercise. The house is filthy, the yard is a wreck, and the sofas were all falling apart. So it appears that nobody does anything other than order crap food and sit there watching tv/playing video games. Oh, and now she's taking Oxy daily and walking on crutches because her knees hurt so bad, but she thinks that's genetic. But the children all have taken on the same poor habits.

Old 04-25-2016, 11:33 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,230,758 times
wow everyone is so quick to bash the OP, that they don't even want to bother looking up some actual science, which actually shows that he makes some very valid points. Everything he says made sense to me, because I have seen studies supporting it. Things like a body's 'set point', BMR, the role of hormones of leptin are all things we're just beginning to look into but don't fully know how they work yet. But what is definitely clear is that people have very different metabolisms and body types and ways in which their bodies respond to diet and exercise. I really don't see how anyone can argue against that.

As several people have brought up here, we all know people with horrible diet habits, who eat junk, don't exercise, and have TROUBLE gaining weight. If there are those at that metabolic extreme, than OF COURSE there will be those on the other. There are babies, babies!, who are overweight! And not because they're being fed junk, they eat the same things other babies their age do, which is eating to hunger as they are supposed to be. There is evidence now that the children of obese mothers ARE more likely to be overweight themselves - not because of inherited eating habits but because of the metabolic processes that happen in-utero in the obese pregnant mom. Infants born to moms who had gestational diabetes are more likely to suffer diabetes and obesity themselves in the future. These are all things happening on a biological level, that these children, who may grow up to struggle with weight, didn't choose and couldn't control.

Have you seen Asian people? There is a nation with amazing metabolisms, they can eat, eat, and eat and not gain weight. And don't say it's the 'American' diet. I lived in a Western city with a very high proportion of Asians. I saw how they eat, especially the younger generation brought up abroad. We had an Asian bakery with the softest, whitest, horrible-for-you buns and pastries. It was PACKED, at all times of the day. You should've seen those tiny, tiny women piling up trays ful of buns. I once watched the most stunning doll-like Asian girl sit down to lunch at the food court - she polished off a huge A&W burger, a serving of fries, and finished it off with a venti starbucks frappuccino. Seriously. It's hard not to be bitter when you see things like that. So when I see a large woman pitifully poking at her salad, I feel bad for her. Bad - and scared, because I truly can't say, 100%, that it will never be me. I weigh 110 lbs at 5'4, usually, I'm now at 114 after my second baby and it's freaking me out. 110 or under is the weight that looks good on me, anything more shows up as love handles and chubby cheeks. I have eaten 1000-1200 calories for years. I don't starve myself - this is how much i need to not feel hungry. That's my body's and metabolism's set point. I know I get nowhere to the nutrients I'm supposed to be getting a day. i'm probably wreaking havoc somewhere, to my bones, internal organs. But if I eat more I gain weight. Eating below the recommended minimum for even the strictest diets only allows me to maintain my weight. Yet there are women out there, smaller than me, who eat three times as much and don't gain. I'm only 32. If my metabolism slows down even further with age, as it tends to, i'm screwed. if, g-d forbid, my thyroid comes crashing or something else in my hormones screws up, I will gain weight as i there's only so much further i can cut my calories. That's why every extra pound that's not easily explained by overeating freaks me out - I think, is that it, is it my hormones? My grandmother was obese. I don't remember her eating a lot, certainly not any more or different than the rest of the family ate, she lived with us. I inherited her body shape, and she was thin until her 30s and then ballooned. It terrifies me. Calories in, calories out doesn't address things like how these calories get used up - do they go to building muscle and fueling essential body processes? Or do they just get stored as fat while the rest of the body goes malnourished? I'm just making this up here because I don't really know how these processes work, and I don't think science fully does either.

Old 04-25-2016, 11:39 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,280,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
wow everyone is so quick to bash the OP, that they don't even want to bother looking up some actual science, which actually shows that he makes some very valid points. Everything he says made sense to me, because I have seen studies supporting it. Things like a body's 'set point', BMR, the role of hormones of leptin are all things we're just beginning to look into but don't fully know how they work yet. But what is definitely clear is that people have very different metabolisms and body types and ways in which their bodies respond to diet and exercise. I really don't see how anyone can argue against that.

As several people have brought up here, we all know people with horrible diet habits, who eat junk, don't exercise, and have TROUBLE gaining weight. If there are those at that metabolic extreme, than OF COURSE there will be those on the other. There are babies, babies!, who are overweight! And not because they're being fed junk, they eat the same things other babies their age do, which is eating to hunger as they are supposed to be. There is evidence now that the children of obese mothers ARE more likely to be overweight themselves - not because of inherited eating habits but because of the metabolic processes that happen in-utero in the obese pregnant mom. Infants born to moms who had gestational diabetes are more likely to suffer diabetes and obesity themselves in the future. These are all things happening on a biological level, that these children, who may grow up to struggle with weight, didn't choose and couldn't control.

Have you seen Asian people? There is a nation with amazing metabolisms, they can eat, eat, and eat and not gain weight. And don't say it's the 'American' diet. I lived in a Western city with a very high proportion of Asians. I saw how they eat, especially the younger generation brought up abroad. We had an Asian bakery with the softest, whitest, horrible-for-you buns and pastries. It was PACKED, at all times of the day. You should've seen those tiny, tiny women piling up trays ful of buns. I once watched the most stunning doll-like Asian girl sit down to lunch at the food court - she polished off a huge A&W burger, a serving of fries, and finished it off with a venti starbucks frappuccino. Seriously. It's hard not to be bitter when you see things like that. So when I see a large woman pitifully poking at her salad, I feel bad for her. Bad - and scared, because I truly can't say, 100%, that it will never be me. I weigh 110 lbs at 5'4, usually, I'm now at 114 after my second baby and it's freaking me out. 110 or under is the weight that looks good on me, anything more shows up as love handles and chubby cheeks. I have eaten 1000-1200 calories for years. I don't starve myself - this is how much i need to not feel hungry. That's my body's and metabolism's set point. I know I get nowhere to the nutrients I'm supposed to be getting a day. i'm probably wreaking havoc somewhere, to my bones, internal organs. But if I eat more I gain weight. Eating below the recommended minimum for even the strictest diets only allows me to maintain my weight. Yet there are women out there, smaller than me, who eat three times as much and don't gain. I'm only 32. If my metabolism slows down even further with age, as it tends to, i'm screwed. if, g-d forbid, my thyroid comes crashing or something else in my hormones screws up, I will gain weight as i there's only so much further i can cut my calories. Calories in, calories out doesn't address things like how these calories get used up - do they go to building muscle and fueling essential body processes? Or do they just get stored as fat while the rest of the body goes malnourished? I'm just making this up here because I don't really know how these processes work, and I don't think science fully does either.
The difference between you and the OP is that he actually claims to know how the processes work. He stated his OP as fact. "This should be a sticky." is one example.

What did the Asian woman eat the rest of the day? How much did she exercise? Is that her normal diet?

You can't use one meal as an example.

Old 04-25-2016, 12:04 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,791,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post

The reason I felt the need to create this thread is that I don't like the elitism coming from the fitness community which heavily promotes the idea that obese people are only lazy. I mean don't get me wrong, MOST of them ARE lazy. But there is more to it then that.

Then don't go to the group. Or do like I do and hit the IGNORE button for the posters you dislike....

Old 04-25-2016, 12:05 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,230,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post

What did the Asian woman eat the rest of the day? How much did she exercise? Is that her normal diet?

You can't use one meal as an example.
No but that was just one example I used here. I and others I know have worked and been around many Asian people, and our observations have been similar. Both my parents have Asian women at their workplace who they watch eat huge portions of food for lunch every day and remain thin as sticks. My mom is friends with her Chinese coworker and she admits that she has never had to worry or care about gaining weight or watching what she eats. Her mother and mother-in-law are both the same and still look the same even at their age. If you look at Asian people, they all have a very similar body type, men are on the small side too and have trouble gaining muscle.
There was a TV documentary done a while ago, where they took a whole bunch of 'naturally skinny' people and fed them something like 10,000 calories a day for some period of time, to see how their metabolisms actually work. All have gained some weight and body fat, although amounts differed. The only exception was one Asian guy, who has gained no fat and just a bit of muscle. I also remember seeing a hot-dog eating contest on tv, where a skinny Asian guy won over the huge big men.

You just can't attribute it to diet and exercise differences. It's silly. There are very obvious genetics at play.
From the other side, you also have nations who do not have the american diet and in fact may have a shortage of food, like native tribes of pacific islanders or some parts of Africa, who, in spite of probably having fairly low, unprocessed food intakes and an extremely physically requiring lifestyle do NOT look like the Asian people. They may not be obese, but they're often plump in parts, and the women may have larger droopy bellies, wide hips etc. Whether as Asian women seem to be able to give birth and go right back to a flat stomach and never lose that prepubescent figure. It's nature, no arguments.

Old 04-25-2016, 12:34 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,844,280 times
This documentary? Why thin people are not fat?

Why were we less fat in the 1970s? Maybe 1980s.I mean non-asians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1hbPXooB1U
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness