Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 12:57 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,250,313 times

Advertisements

Walking over to a machine or bench. You look around, no one near. No water bottle or towel on the floor. You start your set. After your 2nd set, dude walks over and says. "Hey man, I wasn't done. Can I finish?" WTF. Don't leave the machine/bench if you are still using it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 02:53 PM

20,761 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbeechuk View Post
Walking over to a machine or bench. You look around, no one near. No water bottle or towel on the floor. You start your set. After your 2nd set, dude walks over and says. "Hey man, I wasn't done. Can I finish?" WTF. Don't leave the machine/bench if you are still using it.
Sounds very familiar. I don't care usually. If you leave and I see the bench empty for a few minutes - it is mine, no matter how many bottles you have standing there.

Old 05-12-2016, 03:45 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,515,499 times
I blame the gym employees for the problems in gyms. Leaving stacks of weight on machines could easily be fixed. Easily fixed especially in the small 24 hour gyms. There are cameras everywhere to monitor who is in the gym. I know the Anytime Fitness I go to, has a serious problem with weights left on machines. They know who is doing it, same as they know who is stealing their protein bars and drinks. They refuse to deal with the person's, because they fear lost memberships. I think it's very sad and very unfair to decent gym members. Gym members paying a hefty fee each month, yet are unfairly treated by thoughtless members then again by greedy gym owners. I recently told the Anytime Fitness I go to. Whenever another gym opens up in this gym deprived community, that I will no longer workout in their facility.

Old 05-13-2016, 04:02 AM

589 posts, read 696,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis View Post
One time someone approached me and started talking to me when I was in the middle of a set of heavy military presses. I didn’t hear what he said because I was ‘in the zone’ watching my form and counting reps. It really threw me off and I figured he must be telling me something urgent, so I stopped and I forgot what number rep I was on. What I asked him to repeat what he said, he told me that I could do the exercise sitting instead of standing. No kidding! Duh, I know that.
That sounds so frustrating. The only kind of people who do this are people who never lift seriously. They interrupt everyone at anytime because they, apparently, lose their common sense when they enter a gym. If someone has a heavy object over their head, why would you break their conversation to say something pointless? If you were walking by a construction site and saw a worker carrying a load of bricks, you wouldn't go up and start a conversation about the weather, would you?

Old 05-13-2016, 04:34 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,124,703 times
Gym's seem to bring out the wierd in everyone. Maybe that's why working out at home is boring.

Old 05-13-2016, 05:12 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Actually what it was about the health club is now why I have my own weight bench and cast iron plates in my home.

Mid 80's, I joined a health club outside a major US Navy base. What they did would be to sign you up, take your contract, sell it to someone else, so you continued to have to pay it off whether the club as open or not.......and often, they were not.

Now, I was able to get out of the contract because they violated one of the state laws in the transfer between owners. I later found out when I was doing other work at the Navy base that they were a scam organization that would set up such operations outside CONUS military bases.

Once burned, twice shy? As far as paying for a health club, yes. The final blow, however, probably came a few years later when I was tossed out of a college gym. Essentially, I was too dedicated, too energetic for their tastes, so I was called in and "asked" to tone it down, rethink my exercise outfit. I saw the writing on that wall and decide to forget about it entirely.

Gyms? Not for me and you know, it's rather nice to be able to do one's workout when they get up.....at 10 PM.

Old 05-13-2016, 05:35 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Oh look, yet another gripe thread about people's behavior at public gyms As if we don't have enough of those already. I don't understand it. If going to the gym is such a PITA that OP can't handle other people's obnoxious behavior, work out at home rather than start a thread about it, because they aren't going to change.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:13 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
Maybe the OP is just venting like most of us do. If you see a thread is what you call a "gripe thread" just ignore it.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:36 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
Somehow fitting (don't mind the thumbnail):

Old 05-13-2016, 08:01 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I used to think that but now believe it makes as much sense as expecting someone to clean the seat of the toilet off after they use it. I'll just wipe it down before I use it just like a toilet seat.
Totally different! It is gym etiquette to wipe of your equipment after using it. They have wipes in every gym I have ever been to. Absolutely nasty to lay in someone's puddle of sweat because they didn't wipe off the bench!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness