Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 09:54 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,935,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
I've never seen the point of joining a gym. You could probably equip your home with at least some equipment which would pay for itself eventually re: the money you would save on a gym membership. Plus, it would be a lot easier to go home & work out than to have to go out of your way to a gym.

Based on my own personal experience going to a guy & threads like this, there are a lot of rude a-holes at gyms - who needs the hassle of having to deal with this?!
We could easily equip our garage with more equipment than the treadmill that my wife uses on off days. I'm looking at a Concept 2 rower because L.A. Fitness doesn't use them and the knock-offs they do use are always either broken or in use. I could get a Power Rack cheap off Craigslist and weights and a bench but my SO needs a pool or she will turn back into a ... besides there are all sorts of other machines and specialized pieces of free weight equipment that are nice to experiment with.

You really need to be well past six figures to be able to equip a home gym to the level that allows a serious fitness enthusiast to pronounce it superior to a commercial gym. I don't even use a pool and I still will keep my gym membership in force even if I get a rower and a power rack. It doesn't happen every time I go, but there are a few women at my gym that include stiff legged deadlifts as part of their lower body routine. Do I need to elaborate?

Last edited by Leisesturm; 06-09-2016 at 10:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 10:44 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,670,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
We could easily equip our garage with more equipment than the treadmill that my wife uses on off days. I'm looking at a Concept 2 rower because L.A. Fitness doesn't use them and the knock-offs they do use are always either broken or in use. I could get a Power Rack cheap off Craigslist and weights and a bench but my SO needs a pool or she will turn back into a ... besides there are all sorts of other machines and specialized pieces of free weight equipment that are nice to experiment with.

You really need to be well past six figures to be able to equip a home gym to the level that allows a serious fitness enthusiast to pronounce it superior to a commercial gym. I don't even use a pool and I still will still keep my gym membership in force even if I get a rower and a power rack. It doesn't happen every time I go, but there are a few women at my gym that include stiff legged deadlifts as part of their lower body routine. Do I need to elaborate?
Yes, I see your point. There are definite advantages in going to a gym.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:56 AM

857 posts, read 844,897 times
Quote:

You really need to be well past six figures to be able to equip a home gym to the level that allows a serious fitness enthusiast to pronounce it superior to a commercial gym. I don't even use a pool and I still will keep my gym membership in force even if I get a rower and a power rack. It doesn't happen every time I go, but there are a few women at my gym that include stiff legged deadlifts as part of their lower body routine. Do I need to elaborate?

Errr, not really. Get a pull up rig and squat rack or an all in one - bought one from Rogue Fitness for under $700 brand new (with shipping). A good solid barbell or two (figure $300 per), medicine ball, KBs, DBs, rings, bumper plates (ballpark $1000-1500), rower (C2 brand new is under 1k), assault bike (under 1k), jump boxes, some rubber flooring, maybe hang a climbing rope and you honestly will have a better set up than a traditional machine filled gym. So for a ballpark of $10k or even less you can have a phenomenal home gym. Spending thousands or for that matter any money on machines IMO is a waste of money/time/effort.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:18 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,670,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedvedActual View Post
Errr, not really. Get a pull up rig and squat rack or an all in one - bought one from Rogue Fitness for under $700 brand new (with shipping). A good solid barbell or two (figure $300 per), medicine ball, KBs, DBs, rings, bumper plates (ballpark $1000-1500), rower (C2 brand new is under 1k), assault bike (under 1k), jump boxes, some rubber flooring, maybe hang a climbing rope and you honestly will have a better set up than a traditional machine filled gym. So for a ballpark of $10k or even less you can have a phenomenal home gym. Spending thousands or for that matter any money on machines IMO is a waste of money/time/effort.
That is assuming you have a empty basement or garage where you can put this equipment. Not many people have a place where they can install a pull-up bar, let alone a climbing rope. I remember lifting weights in high school in our basement. I could only do seated military presses since the ceiling was too low.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
What income level do you imagine the average American needs to be at before they consider $10k to be a worthwhile investment for fitness equipment??

Old 06-09-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
What income level do you imagine the average American needs to be at before they consider $10k to be a worthwhile investment for fitness equipment??

Completely see your point and agree. My response was in reply to the one I quoted stating one needed to spend over six figures for a good gym. In that regard, $10k is not that much. Also, what I have outlined was really for a great facility using brand new stuff. Granted one has space, e.g., garage, a good gym can be had for less than half of that amount and then slowly add other things as great deals come up. Now, also depending on one's workout place of preference/goals, it can be argued that even spending $10k on a full home gym is not that bad. For example, my spouse and I pay about $4k a year for our gym membership; to me that is money well spent in return for what I am getting. Two years and you break even. Just all about comparisons, available space, desire or lack of to be around others, etc.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Completely see your point and agree. My response was in reply to the one I quoted stating one needed to spend over six figures for a good gym. In that regard, $10k is not that much.
Ah.. I see what has happened... I was in no way saying that one needed to spend six figures to obtain a quality home gym. I was saying that one would likely need to be earning six figures before one decided that ~$10k of it was a worthwhile investment in fitness equipment!

Old 06-09-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Ah.. I see what has happened... I was in no way saying that one needed to spend six figures to obtain a quality home gym. I was saying that one would likely need to be earning six figures before one decided that ~$10k of it was a worthwhile investment in fitness equipment!
Right on. Makes sense.

Old 06-09-2016, 03:12 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,630,857 times
Interesting points of view. I know this thread is not about weather a home gym can be expenxive or not but it offers a good perspective to my point of view. Thanks

Old 06-10-2016, 04:30 AM

1,248 posts, read 824,437 times
If the gym is so bad, then why go there at all? Why not rather cycle or hike, or ski, or do yoga or another form of exercise that can be done outdoors, alone while enjoying the beauty of nature rather than surrounded by all those sweaty grunting people? Personally, I've never attended a gym and have no desire to. I'd rather get on my bike and go exploring the country. I can't think of a more enjoyable form of exercise than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness