Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 05:46 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
If the gym is so bad, then why go there at all? Why not rather cycle or hike, or ski, or do yoga or another form of exercise that can be done outdoors, alone while enjoying the beauty of nature rather than surrounded by all those sweaty grunting people? Personally, I've never attended a gym and have no desire to. I'd rather get on my bike and go exploring the country. I can't think of a more enjoyable form of exercise than that.
The reason is that many of us don't think what you're doing is really exercise. There is nothing wrong with hiking or biking in the country but I would rather do a 10 mile run on a trail.

Don't get me wrong, I have done plenty of skiing and hiking. But they are not activities that most people can do often enough to get a regular workout.

I have also taken yoga classes. I would go to the gym after yoga classes to work out.

But as you stated, you've never been to a gym, so how would you know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 06:08 AM

1,248 posts, read 824,063 times
Running on a trail is pretty much in the same category as biking - it's outdoors and you do not have to suffer the company of annoying people. As for how I would know - well, by comparing my own experiences while doing the above things to all the posts people write on here about how annoying the gym and people who attend it can be. If the things I do for exercise were such unpleasant chores for me, I would not be doing them at all.

And how is doing, say, a hundred km on a bike on various terrain (hills, off-road etc) not exercise? I am not talking about a short evening stroll, but about real riding.

Old 06-10-2016, 11:07 AM

951 posts, read 1,140,635 times
Quote:
If the gym is so bad, then why go there at all? Why not rather cycle or hike, or ski, or do yoga or another form of exercise that can be done outdoors, alone while enjoying the beauty of nature rather than surrounded by all those sweaty grunting people? Personally, I've never attended a gym and have no desire to. I'd rather get on my bike and go exploring the country. I can't think of a more enjoyable form of exercise than that.
I used to think that too and wondered, why would so many people rather spend hours indoors exercising when it's so beautiful outside and they can be biking or hiking? That was when I was only thinking of cardio though. Now that I lift weights, I have to go to the gym. I just don't have that kind of equipment at home, and I like seeing people at the gym. Gives me more motivation. I still do most of my cardio outdoors.

Old 06-10-2016, 12:48 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,629,795 times
Quote:
Well the point of the thread is to bring up an issue that exists in many gyms which is people who do not re rack the weights after use. As far as hiking or sking or cycling goes, those are great exercises but they are no substitute for resistance training at least to me and other people since they are totally different forms of exercise. I love the outdoors but unless I find an outdoor gym with weights and all that then I need the gym.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness