Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 11:01 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,126,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
Don't we all just love the gym? I mean there are so many great things about that place right? Especially this right here.

Don't you just love it when some guy finishes his glorious leg workout and leaves all the plates on the machine? Or maybe the bench press or some other piece of equipment. I tell you it is just so inviting. There is a thing called not Re-rackingcking your weights and then there is this. I call this "Not Re-racking Your Weights on Steroids" The only excuse I can find acceptable for this is a family emergency, other than that no way. This guy deserves a lifetime achievement award for his contribution to the best gym behavior. Ok fellow forum members it is your turn share some stories about great gym moments. I want your feedback ladies and gentlemen.
My Gym thet leave weights, barbells everywhere but where they are supposed to go. They move benches and don't put them back, And as of late I counted 5 machines busted, Water fountain out of order and the mats are sticking up creating a tripping hazard. its turned into an obstacle course. No need to lift or run, Just try walking through and you have a workout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2016, 08:44 PM

480 posts, read 623,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
My Gym thet leave weights, barbells everywhere but where they are supposed to go. They move benches and don't put them back, And as of late I counted 5 machines busted, Water fountain out of order and the mats are sticking up creating a tripping hazard. its turned into an obstacle course. No need to lift or run, Just try walking through and you have a workout.
That would be my X-gym!

I always thought a great TV reality show would be "Hells Gym" where they go into poorly run gyms and whip them into shape. I knew a former gym owner and former Mr. America who ran his gym with a iron fist. Looking back I really appreciated what he was trying to instill in the members, although at the time many of them didn't like his approach. I saw many people thrown out of that gym, some literally by the ear!

Now I know its probably not a good business model being that strict with the public, but when you don't have any management that cares, you end up with a gym like you describe, everything broken and strewn about...ugh!

Old 05-29-2016, 11:42 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,174,376 times
I've never seen the point of joining a gym. You could probably equip your home with at least some equipment which would pay for itself eventually re: the money you would save on a gym membership. Plus, it would be a lot easier to go home & work out than to have to go out of your way to a gym.

Based on my own personal experience going to a guy & threads like this, there are a lot of rude a-holes at gyms - who needs the hassle of having to deal with this?!

Old 05-30-2016, 01:26 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,114,594 times
Going to the gym used to be a fun (albeit an expensive pastime); but now the place is full of poseurs, more interested in taking selfies of themselves by a chosen piece of equipment but without actually doing anything remotely physical!

Then there's the guys (and some women) that come over to tell you "hey, your new here!" (when I'm clearly not) and "you want to do that like this. Let me show you." And so he takes over for 10 minutes while I'm standing there like a dummy.

There are many other examples/distractions that have already been highlighted here, and it really is annoying that even though I paid good money to access a wealth of great equipment, there's always a few bozos who either want to hog everything for themselves, or belittle "little ladies" such as myself for whatever reasons that bounce around in their vacant minds.

Old 05-30-2016, 06:14 AM

844 posts, read 1,441,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauailover View Post
I thought the circus was in town today..

I'm doing rope crunches at the end if my workout when this clown who just walked in the gym gets on the low cable row next to me. He puts it on 80lbs, does about 5 reps and let's the weight stack slam down like he's cranked out on redbull or something???

I did one more set and went upstairs for some cardio. I watched this clown do set after set glancing at arm to arm while he's pulling that girly weight and letting it slam at the end of each set.

I'm not sure who more to blame though, cause the management at my Golds gym doesn't educate idiots like this on properly using our equipment. Aside from a few signs posted here and there they just don't give a ****.

I was actually looking around to see if someone was filming another gym fails video, cause this kind of joker would be a good laugh. Slamming the weights and playing air guitar in between sets like he was on Crack or something?

Other than that, I do love my gym, it is my sanctuary!

Aloha

You work at at an apartment gym, not Gold's

Old 05-30-2016, 10:01 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,302,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauailover View Post
That would be my X-gym!

I always thought a great TV reality show would be "Hells Gym" where they go into poorly run gyms and whip them into shape. I knew a former gym owner and former Mr. America who ran his gym with a iron fist. Looking back I really appreciated what he was trying to instill in the members, although at the time many of them didn't like his approach. I saw many people thrown out of that gym, some literally by the ear!

Now I know its probably not a good business model being that strict with the public, but when you don't have any management that cares, you end up with a gym like you describe, everything broken and strewn about...ugh!

Now THIS is one reality show I might actually watch.

I love my new gym so far; other than today when there was no toilet paper anywhere other than a few squares in the men's area.

Old 05-30-2016, 02:19 PM

421 posts, read 422,803 times
cheap membership = dirty gym
higher membership = more clean

Old 05-31-2016, 07:45 PM

480 posts, read 623,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
You work at at an apartment gym, not Gold's
Ha ha, yeah it seems like that at times.

A home gym would be great if you have a dedicated space for it. I knew a guy who did metal fabrication and built his own gym equipment and he had a 24 x 30ft shop for it.

I've always enjoyed working out at gyms, partly for convenience and partly for lack of space for all of the equipment I like to use.

Old 06-09-2016, 05:45 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,631,840 times
One thing I love about the gym is that I don't let stuff like this bother me. I just move the weights. True they could have been considerate/ (have followed the rules?) and put them away, but they didn't.

The gym is my time to not worry about all the stupidity in the world and the complaining people constantly do and just focus my energy in a positive direction.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:26 AM

5,132 posts, read 4,482,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I had a 200lbs girl once tell me how to work my butt out best. I was doing an exercise and she took the effort to walk up to me and tell me what else I could do to get a butt like SHE has. I just nodded and hid my grin.
Hahaha.

Yeah, I had a female "trainer", who looked to be around 200lbs and with a big gut, come up to advise me about my workout, too. I'm very slim, so it was pretty funny. But I took her advice in stride.

I still don't understand why some gyms hire overweight trainers. Who's going to be inspired by that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness