Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 07:39 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
Thank you. Didn't even look but at least you will. All the 'definitions' are pointless. Be comfortable in our own skin. Change it if we don't like. Judging is ridiculous. (I'm 'cut'. Does that make me a better man? Heck no)
I agree. It works for me because I'm not a big guy. But if someone has a bigger frame, maybe "cut" isn't the best thing for them. Maybe brute strength, a 600 pound deadlift or something like that, is their goal. We all have different priorities. Look at the makeup of an NFL offense. All elite athletes, but so many different body types. There's not one "right" way to do fitness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 07:44 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,740,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I agree. It works for me because I'm not a big guy. But if someone has a bigger frame, maybe "cut" isn't the best thing for them. Maybe brute strength, a 600 pound deadlift or something like that, is their goal. We all have different priorities. Look at the makeup of an NFL offense. All elite athletes, but so many different body types. There's not one "right" way to do fitness.
Exactly. I'm 155 and sleep dl 455. Squat 405. I can't bench more that 245. Yet I can run hill sprints, with a parachute, in heat that wilts most.

Thanks for the response

Old 06-03-2016, 07:46 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
Ok, perhaps using the word "fat" isn't really accurate. I don't mean fat as in obese, but fat as in that though they are obviously very strong they have considerable levels of bodyfat to a point of looking unattractive. I know not everybody has to be super lean, but don't most guys go to the gym not only to get healthier/stronger but also to look better? Why invest all this effort only to look like a piece of crap?
Who knows? Maybe they're powerlifters and olympic lifters (though those guys usually tend to stay in gyms geared toward that) or maybe they're bulking and doing it poorly?

The better question is, who cares?

Quote:
Pro-bodybuilders are bad examples because they juice which allows them to get leaner faster than normal people.
Uhh, no they don't.

Old 06-03-2016, 07:48 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,234,127 times
Quote:
I don't have too many pics of me without a shirt on, I'm not much of an exhibitionist or showoff. But here's one of me paddle boarding down at Outer Banks, NC last summer. Moments before my son pushed me off my board!
LOL, these days, nearly every friggin picture I have includes a few photobombing kids.

Old 06-03-2016, 07:48 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,917,593 times
Quote:
Bodyfat and muscle mass are 2 completely separate things. It's perfectly possible to have lots of muscle that others can't actually see because it's hidden under the sea of fat.
There have been a number of responses now from people who seem to associate a combination of muscular and lean with the word "buff." That's my view as well, but if we get into a debate about the meaning of "buff," that will drift away from the real thread topic, so let's just accept that by "buff" you meant "muscular" and go from there.

Quote:
I know not everybody has to be super lean, but don't most guys go to the gym not only to get healthier/stronger but also to look better? Why invest all this effort only to look like a piece of crap?
There's more than one benefit to exercise. Maybe a lot of these guys are interested mainly in getting strong, and/or being fit, and/or enjoying the challenge of pushing themselves to keep achieving new goals in the gym, and/or . . . You may be making a mistake in assuming that one of the goals you would have is something that everyone sees as a priority.

Also, even when people are thinking about appearance, different people may seek different looks. I'm guessing that a lot of guys really dedicated to lifting weights aren't interested in "looking good" in a way that means looking like a metrosexual or a male model in GQ. The "look" many of those guys are going for (when they think about their looks) probably is more about looking big and strong and physically imposing.

Then there's this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
There is nothing wrong with being strong and a little overweight . . . We all have the genetics we're born with and there is only so much you can do to change it.
This is just casual observation, but it does seem that a lot of the most muscular guys have a basic build that is kind of round and bearish. Think of football linemen, or some big slugger baseball players like David Ortiz for example. Even when those guys are at their most trim, they're still kind of full and padded.

Maybe the guys you're referring to are like that. They're naturally just big and heavy all around: large-boned, muscular, and kinda beefy. Maybe it's not that they don't try to look lean, but more that their basic builds will always make them a bit full and round, even when they're in their best shape.

Old 06-03-2016, 07:49 PM

645 posts, read 750,967 times
everyone's body is different and diet....it takes a lot of work to lean out and still manage to stay somewhat muscular...I think some guys would rather stay on the husky side but have some muscle....if your at the gym you should probably only be worrying about how your body is looking anyways.....stay focused

Old 06-03-2016, 07:51 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,630,321 times
I consider being buffed and fat and oxymoron. If you are buffed the you can't have considerable levels of body fat and if you do have considerable levels of body fat then you are not really buffed after all

Old 06-03-2016, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
LOL, these days, nearly every friggin picture I have includes a few photobombing kids.
I should look for the pick where he actually knocks me off. Give me a minute here...

Old 06-03-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
Exactly. I'm 155 and sleep dl 455. Squat 405. I can't bench more that 245. Yet I can run hill sprints, with a parachute, in heat that wilts most.

Thanks for the response
I'm 170, DL 405, squat 350, and bench 280. Plus I can still run some medium endurance at a faster pace that a lot of people 10 years younger than me. I just turned 36.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:01 PM

Quote:
I should look for the pick where he actually knocks me off. Give me a minute here...
Here it is. The little guy got on the scoreboard with this one!
Attached Thumbnails
Why are most of the buff guys at the gym fat?-11011021_10200630566324231_9158809090278897040_o.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness