Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 05:26 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,189,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Actually, that study isn't relevant to the point I was making, since fat gain was comparable for all three, exactly as we'd expect for a calorie matched study.

Prove it. (Hint: you can't)

I pay much less for high quality whey, casein and milk protein isolate.

I don't think you understand how protein powders are made.
He's probably referring to the additives in most protein which are petroleum derivatives. If one is to purchase grass fed, unflavored whey protein, it's not cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 06:50 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
He's probably referring to the additives in most protein which are petroleum derivatives. If one is to purchase grass fed, unflavored whey protein, it's not cheap.
The price one pays for scientific illiteracy.

Old 06-04-2016, 08:20 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,875,977 times
They workout really hard which makes them hungry but then they go home and load up on bread, soda pop and other carby foods. So although they do get bigger and stronger they also increase body fat.

Old 06-04-2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:
The price one pays for scientific illiteracy.
I don't know what that price is. What is your rate?

Old 06-04-2016, 11:14 PM

645 posts, read 750,767 times
you living with all these guys and watching what they eat all day or what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
They workout really hard which makes them hungry but then they go home and load up on bread, soda pop and other carby foods. So although they do get bigger and stronger they also increase body fat.

Old 06-05-2016, 07:21 AM

Quote:
I don't know what that price is. What is your rate?
Well by having some science knowledge (and thus not being afraid of GMOs and the like) I save about $4-5 per lb by picking your run of the mill whey concentrate rather than the grass fed ones. Since my last order of whey was for 10lbs, that saved me about $50.

Old 06-05-2016, 07:27 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,739,460 times
I still ask, wtf 'buff' means. Lol

Old 06-05-2016, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Well by having some science knowledge (and thus not being afraid of GMOs and the like) I save about $4-5 per lb by picking your run of the mill whey concentrate rather than the grass fed ones. Since my last order of whey was for 10lbs, that saved me about $50.
Who mentioned GMOs? I mentioned petroleum extracts. If you don't know the difference between the two, how good is the quality of your science?

Old 06-05-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Who mentioned GMOs? I mentioned petroleum extracts. If you don't know the difference between the two, how good is the quality of your science?
That's why I said "and the like" as I was speaking generally. People who buy the grass fed stuff generally tend to be the types who are scared of GMOs, aspartame...etc.

For the record, I don't think my whey concentrate has any petro extracts in it and if it does, they are in small enough levels to be inconsequential.

Old 06-05-2016, 02:20 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,275,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
Ok, perhaps using the word "fat" isn't really accurate. I don't mean fat as in obese, but fat as in that though they are obviously very strong they have considerable levels of bodyfat to a point of looking unattractive. I know not everybody has to be super lean, but don't most guys go to the gym not only to get healthier/stronger but also to look better? Why invest all this effort only to look like a piece of crap?
Because, cutting to get that magazine super defined look is only temporary. So, cutting is only done at certain times and not all the time. For most of the time, many gym goers are on a bulking or maintenance program.

Now, take any of these chubby buffed guys, when they decide to go on a 6-8 week cutting period, all that fat will vanish and the cuts, the veins, the super sharp definition will appear. For anybody who has done this including myself, the offshoot of cutting along with the visible changes are increased crankiness, moodiness, hunger, dizziness and above all else feeling cold most of the time. No fun at all. Truly only manageable for short periods of time. Safe for only short periods of time in fact.

Any serious gym goer can go from flabby off season body shape to cut and buffed in a matter of weeks. Their bodies are accustomed to it. Their bodies also tell them to cut all the time does not make a happy body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness