Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2019, 01:49 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,629,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
In the defense of that knucklehead using a power rack for his stretching routine, I belong to a regular gym that is 50 pieces of cardio, 20 useless machines, a bunch of aerobic classes, and oh yeah, over in the corner are two power racks.

The closest serious power/olympic lifting gym is far enough away that it would add like 90 minutes to my day, and the gym I go to is right next to my office, and half the price of any gym in the area. So I kind of expect to see nonsense like I did today, and since nobody ever stops people like that...well, I can't really be that mad, cuz dude is just ignorant.
Yeah that is a tough deal. I would be pretty frustrated if I was in your situation but hey you gotta do your best with what you have. I have access to multiple facilities within a reasonable distance but so far that has not been necessary. Eventually I will not belong to any gym at all and will train at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2019, 01:51 PM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
Eventually I will not belong to any gym at all and will train at home.
If my new job works out, it will involve getting a new house, and if that happens, space for a home gym will be a top three priority when house shopping. Because yeah...people doing yoga in power racks...just can't have that in my life....

Old 12-06-2019, 01:55 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,363,704 times
Quote:
In the defense of that knucklehead using a power rack for his stretching routine, I belong to a regular gym that is 50 pieces of cardio, 20 useless machines, a bunch of aerobic classes, and oh yeah, over in the corner are two power racks.

The closest serious power/olympic lifting gym is far enough away that it would add like 90 minutes to my day, and the gym I go to is right next to my office, and half the price of any gym in the area. So I kind of expect to see nonsense like I did today, and since nobody ever stops people like that...well, I can't really be that mad, cuz dude is just ignorant.
That's basically my take. In a real gym most people know better. One of my favorite gyms ever tailored to the bodybuilder and powerlifter crowd. If the owner caught anyone doing that nonsense in a squat rack he'd openly belittle them (in a joking way, but enough to get his point across).

I had to quit a Powerhouse Gym because of this very issue. Way too often we had idiots in that space stretching and doing who-knows-what (not squatting/deadlifting) while others would sit on those racks for over an hour straight doing their entire routine in there. I'd had enough and went elsewhere and I told them why.

Old 12-06-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
That's basically my take. In a real gym most people know better. One of my favorite gyms ever tailored to the bodybuilder and powerlifter crowd. If the owner caught anyone doing that nonsense in a squat rack he'd openly belittle them (in a joking way, but enough to get his point across).

I had to quit a Powerhouse Gym because of this very issue. Way too often we had idiots in that space stretching and doing who-knows-what (not squatting/deadlifting) while others would sit on those racks for over an hour straight doing their entire routine in there. I'd had enough and went elsewhere and I told them why.
Wow that is crazy. Powerhouse Gym is one of what I call The Big Three. Golds Gym, World Gym and Powerhouse Gym. Those 3 were places where the biggest names in bodybuilding powerlifting and weightlifting athletes went to train back in the 70s 80s and 90s and they were elite gyms. But as I said when things become mainstream stuff like that happens. It is the world we live in now.

Old 12-06-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
If my new job works out, it will involve getting a new house, and if that happens, space for a home gym will be a top three priority when house shopping. Because yeah...people doing yoga in power racks...just can't have that in my life....
Smart move. That is a move you won't regret

Old 12-06-2019, 02:20 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,636,118 times
^Definitely agreed. Space for a home gym was a dealbreaker for me when searching for houses. No gym space, no consideration at all. Ultimately we found a house plan that has a large open loft with a view of the Las Vegas Strip and surrounding mountains, so that’s where I work out. I really enjoy it because for me it just makes staying in shape so easy. I don’t have to go anywhere, I have everything I need right there. Plus I never feel like I take even one minute out of my day to “work out” because I already watch many sports game and movies, so all I’m doing is working out during something I’d already be doing anyway.

Old 12-08-2019, 05:39 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,562,426 times
the couple today in the Smith rack doing leg presses!!!

lying on their backs on the ground with their feet on the bar pressing a massive 115 pounds!!!!

the guy pressing as much as the girl. And when they were done they wiped down the bench, the floor but not the bar where their dirty shoes were touching. And of course couldn't re-rack that massive 25 and 10# plate either.

Old 12-09-2019, 06:45 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post

lying on their backs on the ground with their feet on the bar pressing a massive 115 pounds!!!!

the guy pressing as much as the girl. And when they were done they wiped down the bench, the floor but not the bar where their dirty shoes were touching. And of course couldn't re-rack that massive 25 and 10# plate either.
You could have shortened this to: "anyone using the Smith rack..."

j/k

Old 12-09-2019, 07:07 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,363,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post

As terrible as this sounds, I have seen this as well and secretly hoped that bar delicately balanced on their feet would come crashing down onto them to teach them a lesson. Tons of open leg press machines, including ones that mimic that push up to the sky movement, and these dolts are trying their best to waste space doing that nonsense.

Old 12-09-2019, 08:50 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,936,535 times
Quote:
Not two hours ago, a guy was taking up one of two power racks in my gym with a yoga mat and stretching bands. At no point did he touch or make use of any part of the rack for anything, and we have THREE areas dedicated to stretching and 4 areas for yoga.

It was my bench press day, so I only got angry, not homicidal.
I’d politely ask him to move out of one of the racks and if he refused I would either go to a staff member or just start working in one of the racks. Been there, done that. Once had three jokers tie up ALL THREE squat racks and three benches doing some sort of weird bench circuit but all three benches had the same amount of weight (135). I politely asked if I could use one of the racks on the end, was rudely denied and since no staff was present I just moved one of the benches out of the rack and started my squats. If you want to d some sort of weird cross fit circuit pay the money and join a gym that specializes in that. Don’t think you are entitled to tie up multiple pieces of equipment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness