Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 08:12 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,774,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post
We're not talking 1:1 action:counteraction here. Running won't let you build muscle quite as quickly. Then again, you may not care about that so much.
My biggest goals, as pointed out are to do well and also lose some of the belly.

Quote:
Sounds to me like you've got fat there (not cottage cheese fat but fat nonetheless).
Not the best but....

And....
Quote:
Why would you be distended?
I don't know, what causes it? I would expect my ab muscles to be in a line with the rest of my body, it's almost if it's due to overeating, which I don't think I do. I'm not one of the guys you see making 5 trips to the buffet line.

Quote:
How many push ups can you do at present? It seems to me that you are chasing endurance more than strength.
I can managed around 30, maybe 35 if it's a real good day. I'm shooting for over 52 in under a minute.

Quote:
Gut reduction comes at a variety of costs. Which are you willing to deal with?
What ever can help get rid of it, or are you trying to say it's not possible to increase endurance and not get rid of front deadweight?

Quote:
Do you only see them run? I take it you don't see them squat, lunge, dead lift, and train aside from running. A defined body can look like that of a starved Ethiopian if it doesn't have developed muscle and muscle development comes from resistance training.
Ok, I'm just taking in what you said about how running has a tenancy to reduce muscle mass in an attempt to run faster.

Quote:
You're chasing endurance, bud.
Ok thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 07:09 PM

1,240 posts, read 3,969,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
My biggest goals, as pointed out are to do well and also lose some of the belly.

Not the best but....

And....
Your legs are decent but not "huge". Also, you are carrying fat in your legs. Watch them shrink as you diet down.

Quote:
I don't know, what causes it? I would expect my ab muscles to be in a line with the rest of my body, it's almost if it's due to overeating, which I don't think I do. I'm not one of the guys you see making 5 trips to the buffet line.
Some people naturally have bulging abs. Try splitting your meals into smaller portions and eating a few more times/day. It should help you with your ab bulging.

Quote:
I can managed around 30, maybe 35 if it's a real good day. I'm shooting for over 52 in under a minute.
Get off machines and start lifting with free weights. Your stabilizing muscles give out long before your main pec muscles do. I'm certain of this.

Quote:
What ever can help get rid of it, or are you trying to say it's not possible to increase endurance and not get rid of front deadweight?
While you are dieting down you will be running on an energy deficit... unfortunately. It's still a battle worth fighting but keep that in mind, which is why I told you to not cut out carbs, especially before and after your workouts. You absolutely need them.

Quote:
Ok, I'm just taking in what you said about how running has a tenancy to reduce muscle mass in an attempt to run faster.
It does if you don't convince your body that it needs to keep its muscle mass. The only way I'm aware of to "convince" your body to keep the muscle is to use it and to use it hard. For this you should be training in the lower rep range with heavier weight, keep overall training volume fairly low (because you will tire out more quickly) but while you do train, train heavy.

Quote:
Ok thanks.
Very welcome.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:14 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,982,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
In an attempt to hopefully burn off some flab around my gut and build a little more muscle, I've been working out on the weight machines.

I'm trying to increase my upper body strength so i can do push ups easier. My legs are already big.

I've been doing weight machines that exercise my back muscles, biceps, chest muscles and lower back muscles. I usually do 3 sets of each and I usually do them 2-3 times a week.

I am wondering if I should be drinking protein shakes? I currently take no drugs or pills. I just drink water. But would the extra protein be of any help? Some say it will.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
I have a lot of thoughts. First, I was in the same position as you, or at least a similar one a while ago. Through trial and error I've figured out a few things which may help you.

#1 - You need to work out 3-5 times a week rather than just 2-3 times. This will accelerate your progress tremendously. As long as you do not work out the same muscles every day you'll be fine.

#2 - Rather than being so regimented regarding the number of sets of each exercise realize that your body by design gets used to workout style and actual exercises. As such you need to mix things up, frequently (I recommend 1 time a week, other online recommendation are every month). Change the exercises you do, and the number of sets and reps and associated weight. This is to keep your muscles maximally stimulated.

#3 - Spend the first few minutes of each workout doing cardio work (I recommend an elliptical machine with arm movement since it's easy on joints). You essentially warm up your body by doing the cardio, and also get the joints ready for a workout. You'll increase your metabolism and get heart healthy as well.

#4 - Protein Shakes are an excellent idea. I have found that my diet previously was so high in bread and sugar alone, that going to a protein shake meal replacement for breakfast and an occasional lunch helped me to trim down body-fatwise and yet continue to build muscle. I highly recommend Isopure Zero Carb protein powder. You won't get artificial sweeteners nor fillers, just a lot of high quality protein with each serving. I add a banana or two, fresh pineapple, or strawberries to each shake and sometimes add yogurt and even premium vanilla ice cream (a kind without a lot of weird ingredients such as Haagen-dazs is my favorite) as well.

#5 - As I previously mentioned a big problem I once had included a massive carb addiction to bread. Useless carbs can also be found in anything else made with refined flour. It has taken a lot of discipline but when I removed it from my diet, I not only stopped feeling food-coma post meals, but overall I felt sharper throughout the day. I recommend changing your diet as such... figure out where you can make like changes and you won't regret it.

#6 - Limit your use of machines in the gym and start using free-weight exercises as much as possible instead. Machines aren't bad, but they always limit range of motion and thus limit your potential gains. Try to learn the free-weight variations of all your favorite exercises and you won't regret it. You'll reach your goals faster.

I have a ton of other ideas to share but I think the most important ones are mentioned above. Good luck with everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness