Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2023, 08:13 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,469,646 times

Advertisements

80% lean angus beef patty/
Some young folks eat at Chipotle daily,a burrito only gives them 4 ounces of meat ,then guaco,beans and salad,rice,sauce.
Dont know if they drink milk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2023, 08:40 PM

3,487 posts, read 1,406,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I've been trying to boost my protein intake post surgery. Eggs, meat, full fat Greek yogurt, peanut butter, and whey protein powder have been my go tos.

If you're too full to eat enough protein, cut out something else you're eating. Like cereal, bread, rice...
You see, this is the issue. Almost everyone here has protein powder or protein shakes on their list. And that goes to show that foods just have too little protein and it is extremely difficult to naturally get a sufficient amount of protein without gulping down a protein drink.

Old 07-11-2023, 08:56 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,059,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
You see, this is the issue. Almost everyone here has protein powder or protein shakes on their list. And that goes to show that foods just have too little protein and it is extremely difficult to naturally get a sufficient amount of protein without gulping down a protein drink.
Why do you have an aversion to protein supplements?

Old 07-11-2023, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Why do you have an aversion to protein supplements?
It’s always better to get them naturally. Just like vitamins. It’s better to get them naturally with proper food instead of vitamin pills.

Old 07-11-2023, 11:21 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,059,119 times
Quote:
It’s always better to get them naturally. Just like vitamins. It’s better to get them naturally with proper food instead of vitamin pills.
How do you figure that protein supplements aren't "natural"? Whey and casein protein powders (the most common by far) are simply isolated from milk and packaged. They are no different than the same protein you get in a glass of milk.

Old 07-11-2023, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
How do you figure that protein supplements aren't "natural"? Whey and casein protein powders (the most common by far) are simply isolated from milk and packaged. They are no different than the same protein you get in a glass of milk.
Whatever the case is, just the fact that we have to gulp down protein shakes in order to consume enough protein in our diet just proves the point in my question… that it’s very hard to get all the protein needed.

Why don’t we have to gulp down carbohydrates shakes? Because they’re so easy to get because there are many foods that are very high on carbs.

Old 07-12-2023, 12:22 AM

946 posts, read 563,802 times
Buy egg whites in cartons. One cup of cooked egg whites is 30 grams. I add cheese powder to make them taste better. Old Ronnie Coleman trick. Then, buy a bunch of those cans of tuna at Walmart. Those are 25-30 grams a can.

On top of all that, I have a weight gainer shake after my workout which gives me 56 grams of protein. I take a separate whey shake either in the afternoon or late evening that provides 30 grams. Dinner usually includes beef, chicken or fish.

Sourdough bread is higher in protein as well. The kind I buy is 6 grams per slice.

Old 07-12-2023, 05:20 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,457,773 times
Quote:
Whatever the case is, just the fact that we have to gulp down protein shakes in order to consume enough protein in our diet just proves the point in my question… that it’s very hard to get all the protein needed.

Why don’t we have to gulp down carbohydrates shakes? Because they’re so easy to get because there are many foods that are very high on carbs.
So what. You asked how to increase your protein intake. What is so hard about protein shakes. You can also eat at McDonald's since this seems to be something you want to continue. Just get a QTR pounder and toss the bun. No fries. That kind of thing.

Everyone has given you suggestions and you come up with some counter argument for each one.

Take their suggestions or just simply nix the idea of getting enough protein in your diet. It is that simple.

Old 07-12-2023, 05:37 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Quote:
Then eat as much protein as you can from whole foods, and fret less about your gym progress. It's what a lot of people who aren't bodybuilders do.

Old 07-12-2023, 06:42 AM

22,658 posts, read 24,581,931 times
One gram for each lean pound of bodyweight is, from what I have read, totally adequate for bodily
growth and repair.

Bodyweight in pounds - pounds of bodyfat = daily protein needs(in grams.).

Eat meat, that is the best source of protein.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness