Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2023, 03:18 PM

3,485 posts, read 1,405,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Buy powder and mix it yourself. Way cheaper.
Serious question. Does protein powder have side effects like acne and hair loss? I've read some stories about that but mix stories, so I can never tell if it's truth or myth. I did suffer from serious acne as a teenager and do occasionally get acne during my adulthood, so I'm wondering if I could have a reaction to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2023, 03:24 PM

19,034 posts, read 13,944,967 times
I've never heard that before. Maybe if you're allergic to one of the other ingredients in the mix. Get one with very few ingredients.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-12-2023, 03:49 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,576,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Serious question. Does protein powder have side effects like acne and hair loss? I've read some stories about that but mix stories, so I can never tell if it's truth or myth. I did suffer from serious acne as a teenager and do occasionally get acne during my adulthood, so I'm wondering if I could have a reaction to it.
I don't use that much. It took me months to use up the container of Vital Proteins powder I have. But I didn't have any negative reaction that I noticed. No acne. No more hair loss than a normal aging woman, I guess.

I just googled if collagen causes hair loss. I didn't see any evidence for that. I saw some statements from authority sources that it might help with hair growth and thickness a bit, since it helps fight aging. I saw a statement in some health site that it can help the health of skin. You can research that, though. Lots of info about it online. (Of course, if you have an allergy to any substance, it can cause a different reaction to you.)

Old 07-12-2023, 04:36 PM

10,546 posts, read 7,739,679 times
Quote:
Acne can be exacerbated by dairy products, or for that matter any dietary input that tends to be inflammatory.

So, it's a possibility. Try it out and report back!

Old 07-12-2023, 05:24 PM

1,740 posts, read 1,265,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
OP needs to keep in mind, that his lack of muscle is probably not a protein issue.

I'm a 56 year old, female, and eat primarily vegetarian and I have no trouble building muscle definition.

I doubt upping your protein will accomplish much.

Youngest son had to take LOTS of protein, he started out very thin, which he hated. Became a gym rat, needed to massively bulk up, and now he is pretty big with lots of muscle. He is 21 and has a super fast metabolism.
Yup. It's mostly a calorie issue. Protein more important when cutting.

Old 07-13-2023, 04:59 AM

24,600 posts, read 9,440,677 times
You don't need 1 gram of protein per pound.

That's the biggest fitness misconception on the planet, designed for you to spend endless money on protein powders and meat.

The average person is not Mr. Olympia or a fitness model. The average person is just trying to get in decent shape, not count their calories.

You want to lose weight, you need to be in a caloric deficit, endlessly sucking down protein powder and high protein snacks is only going to keep you "bulky fat" and keep your insulin spiked.

Last edited by Rocko20; 07-13-2023 at 05:09 AM..

Old 07-13-2023, 05:59 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,348,949 times
Quote:
There is no connection between protein and hair loss. Acne? I haven't heard of that but maybe if you're allergic to dairy that *could* be a potential side effect but highly unlikely. Buy whey protein isolate, which is lactose/dairy free.

Old 07-13-2023, 07:30 AM

9,850 posts, read 7,716,018 times
Quote:
No, I started using Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides because I had hair loss from Covid. It's growing back great now and my skin looks good. I usually have 2-3 shakes a week, mixing it with almond milk.

Old 07-13-2023, 07:35 AM

22,152 posts, read 19,203,648 times
Quote:
I've always struggled to get fit and gain muscle even though I work out and I think the big problem is, I don't get enough protein. I read you need at least 1 gram of protein per pound on a daily basis. How is that possible? Many foods don't really have enough protein. Even high protein foods like peanuts and eggs only have 6-8g of proteins per serving.

Since I weigh 150 lbs, that means I need 150g of protein on a daily basis. So I need 50g of protein for breakfast, for lunch and for dinner?? How is that possible? Most food don't have that high amounts of protein. I'm lucky if you can get 20-25g in a meal.
sounds like the OP is confusing pounds with kilograms, making the above proposition WAY WAY OFF.

1 kilogram = 2.2 pounds

"How much protein do I need? Most adults need around 0.75g of protein per kilogram of body weight per day (for the average woman, this is 45g, or 55g for men). That's about two portions of meat, fish, nuts or tofu per day. As a guide, a protein portion should fit into the palm of your hand."

Old 07-13-2023, 11:00 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,057,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Buy powder and mix it yourself. Way cheaper.
That's generally try but the premade ones are more convenient and often times taste better.

Ideally, you'd use a combination of both, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness