Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 10:57 PM

5,412 posts, read 15,917,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
Ha... So if I send you $20 I'll get $500 back?
Well, after tax and misc. expenses, it might only be like $200.

Quote:
I did a 5x5 program about six months ago and liked it, but I'm leaning towards the pyramid right now. It's been years since I did one of those.
Yep, change it up to keep the muscles confused and your mind interested in the routine.

My bench partner and I did an Arnold routine (from gethuge.com) this month and will change it up in Sept. Today was our last chest day. So glad the 5x5 is over!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 06:14 PM

90 posts, read 262,441 times
Biked my age on Sunday, 51. Pretty much out of the blue challenged myslef to see if I could do it. And I did Girls, keep challenging yourself!

Old 09-07-2008, 09:35 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
I'll post an odd achievement, consistency.

I've been weight lifting for 38 years now, and at age 56 I can still lift as much as I ever could. My routine consist of eight different lifts, fifteen reps each, three sets, three times per week. The routine consist of lifting a bit over 15 tons total weight, and hasn't changed in all this time.

I also still use the rowing machine twice a week. I currently have a Concept 2 rower and do a minimum of 5,000 meters in 30 minutes, at max drag. In addition, I have a stationary exercise bike and do at least 1,600 rotations in 35 minutes, twice a week.

Last edited by NewToCA; 09-07-2008 at 10:04 PM..

Old 09-09-2008, 10:35 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
I love bragging.

38 year old male, just started running last Fall. I've never been into running before, but was prodded by my wife. I have however played a few sports like soccer, tennis and golf. Here's my latest status report:

) Ran 4 5K's this year, 23:53 on my first one in Spring, best time 21:36. 223rd overrall out of 4503 runners. 15th out of 182 in my division (M 35-39).
) Bumped up from running 3.5 miles a day to 4.4 miles a day (found a great lake with trails near our house to run around). I haven't actually timed myself, but I think it takes me about 32 minutes.
) All my clothes are falling off. My wife now hates me.
) Working on getting up to a 10K to run next Spring.

Keep in mind that it was painful to start. I could barely run a mile at a time without either running out of breath or cramps or shin splints or achy knees. I still get them occasionally but not like when I started. It took about a month before I really felt good after running. So if you're starting out and having a rough time, don't give up!

Also, anyone know of any good strength training specifically for golf?

Old 09-13-2008, 01:00 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,801,281 times
Ran a 5K in 24:48 this morning. I'm working towards a goal of around 23:00.

Old 09-22-2008, 04:30 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,480,600 times
Default good job everyone

Wow I just found this thread. I thought city-data was just that data on cities. Anyways sounds like all of you are doing great. I am at the point where I need to lose 20 lbs. I have never really been overweight, but as you age some of you know how it creeps on. I don't understand why it is so hard to lose just a few pounds. I started riding my bike 2 times a week to work 3.4 miles each way. It's not to hard but I can tell just in the last month my legs are getting toned. I also go to the gym a couple times a week and do the eliptical machine.My husband and I are trying really hard to eat right, watch the fat, carbs calories etc. He lost 9 lbs last week just by eating right. He has more to lose, but I ate the same and lost nothing, so go figure. Any husband/wife teams working out together on here. What do you do to encourage each other? Do you think varying the type of exercise helps?

Old 09-27-2008, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
Wow I just found this thread. I thought city-data was just that data on cities. Anyways sounds like all of you are doing great. I am at the point where I need to lose 20 lbs. I have never really been overweight, but as you age some of you know how it creeps on. I don't understand why it is so hard to lose just a few pounds. I started riding my bike 2 times a week to work 3.4 miles each way. It's not to hard but I can tell just in the last month my legs are getting toned. I also go to the gym a couple times a week and do the eliptical machine.My husband and I are trying really hard to eat right, watch the fat, carbs calories etc. He lost 9 lbs last week just by eating right. He has more to lose, but I ate the same and lost nothing, so go figure. Any husband/wife teams working out together on here. What do you do to encourage each other? Do you think varying the type of exercise helps?
Congrats on your goal and good luck. Main thing is just be patient and persistent. Plateaus come, but you can overcome them by varying up your cardio routines. On the bike, try mixing in more sprints. Perhaps try jogging outside or on the treadmill instead of doing the elliptical machine so often. Also, most importantly, do anaerobic exercise: i.e. pump iron. Good luck!

On a related note of this thread, did you folks read about the woman who lost 160 pounds by going on the raw diet? Kudos to her!

Old 09-29-2008, 07:33 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,161,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post

On a related note of this thread, did you folks read about the woman who lost 160 pounds by going on the raw diet? Kudos to her!
I heard about that.....good for her. Personally I'd be too scared to do this but it's a great way to increase your enzimatic activity....enzymes help break down food faster thus, allowing less fat to become absorbed into the body...I'll just stick with my sprouts, milk and raw veggies

Old 09-30-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
I heard about that.....good for her. Personally I'd be too scared to do this but it's a great way to increase your enzimatic activity....enzymes help break down food faster thus, allowing less fat to become absorbed into the body...I'll just stick with my sprouts, milk and raw veggies
If you went on that diet and lost 160 pounds, you'd be negative 50 pounds.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:20 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,057,785 times
Well, glad to see you all doing great.

I'm struggling a bit. I've lost about 40 lbs., but somehow, I've lost the motivation. I can't explain it. I'm still eating right, but I'm not going to the gym as much or working out at home in the evening like I used to. I still have 20 - 40 lbs. to go. I have to figure out how to get out of this slump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness