Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 07:50 AM

5,412 posts, read 15,917,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperspal View Post
Chickrae, I am no expert, but it sounds like you are not taking in enough calories & your body is in "starvation" mode & holding on to every last morsel's calorie. Hopefully beowulf7 will weigh in on this one

Also, the 45 minutes 4 times a week is aerobic/cardio only? I would add on a weight lifting or strength training portion. Muscles burn more fuel than fat does, so put some muscles on your body & I think you'd see a difference.
I agree. I'd recommend Chickrae to eat more for breakfast. Also, to eat more meals rather than just 3 times a day. Yes, def., she should add anaerobic exercises (weight lifting) to her routine. Good luck, Chick!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 09:26 AM

4,391 posts, read 9,480,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
I agree. I'd recommend Chickrae to eat more for breakfast. Also, to eat more meals rather than just 3 times a day. Yes, def., she should add anaerobic exercises (weight lifting) to her routine. Good luck, Chick!

Ok, thanks. I always shy away from weights, as I have big shoulders already and am afraid of making my arms look bigger. But this week I will definitely add weights to my exercise program. How much time in weights, do I start with 5lb weights, and how often a week?

Old 11-09-2008, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperspal View Post
well, yeah, they do say your metabolism slows down with age. But you can rev it up, especially if you throw weights into your routine. What is it they say? "A body at rest, stays at rest; a body in motion, stays in motion". I believe that refers to burning calories long after your workout is over; and lifting weight will help you reach that goal. I also have osteoporosis. Lifting weights helps to build your bone mass back up as well. Ain't gettin' old great???!!!???

mine has slowed wayyyy down. I have never been overweight, but it seems every ten years I get older I add ten pounds. Yeah getting old is great!...Not...ha ha

Old 11-09-2008, 07:38 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,161,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
Ok, thanks. I always shy away from weights, as I have big shoulders already and am afraid of making my arms look bigger. But this week I will definitely add weights to my exercise program. How much time in weights, do I start with 5lb weights, and how often a week?
eventhough you ignored my initial response kiddin'....I will tell you what I typically do with my clients.....

I would initially put you under an endurance test to see where you are.....and make sure you've consuled your doctor....you have consulted your doctor right? Depending on what body part your working....start at a weight you feel comfortable with and do 3 sets of 12-15....if you can get through at least 8 then stay at that weight....if you get through 3 sets of 12 easily....up your weight. You typically want your muscle to "fail" (failiure is when you physically can not get through another rep) on your last set anywhere from your 6th to 10th rep......adjust your weights accordingly.

of course, be sure to check in with your doctor first especially since you are just begining.......

good luck

Old 11-09-2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Don't worry about weights beefing you up. Anaerobic exercise won't do that to you, unless you're taking steroids. It'll tone and firm up those muscles. Don't shy away from weights. And do listen to lola. While she has bad taste in football teams she knows about exercise.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:04 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,161,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
Don't worry about weights beefing you up. Anaerobic exercise won't do that to you, unless you're taking steroids. It'll tone and firm up those muscles. Don't shy away from weights. And do listen to lola. While she has bad taste in football teams she knows about exercise.
congrats btw.....that was a good game.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
congrats btw.....that was a good game.
Thanks, I enjoyed it.

Old 11-15-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:

You shouldn't be taking in LESS than 1200 per day.....Without knowing your variables it's hard for me to say but I would recomend between 1500 and 1800 calories per day...healthy foods of course.

Also, cardio is great and it sounds like your doing great with it but what about weights? are you able to lift? Cardio is great for burning calories in the moment but weight training will consistently burn more calories throughout the day, as muscle burns fat.

best of luck
I used to do Jenny Craig and they had me on a 1,200 calorie per day. I did great on that, but when I went off it I started adding on weight again.
I tried to do the weights this week and I actually gained a couple pounds. I know muscle weighs more, but I don't want to gain weight.

Oh and sorry, I didn't mean to ignore your post a few days ago.

Old 11-15-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
eventhough you ignored my initial response kiddin'....I will tell you what I typically do with my clients.....

I would initially put you under an endurance test to see where you are.....and make sure you've consuled your doctor....you have consulted your doctor right? Depending on what body part your working....start at a weight you feel comfortable with and do 3 sets of 12-15....if you can get through at least 8 then stay at that weight....if you get through 3 sets of 12 easily....up your weight. You typically want your muscle to "fail" (failiure is when you physically can not get through another rep) on your last set anywhere from your 6th to 10th rep......adjust your weights accordingly.
I worked my arms this week and did 3 sets of 15 on all the different machines. Does the tummy cruncher machine and the leg straddle count as weights..ha ha

Old 11-15-2008, 09:02 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,128,114 times
Quote:
Hey, I don't worry about the size of your arms; that shouldn't even be in the equation. I like people who appear athletic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness