Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 06:04 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,538,546 times

Advertisements

1208 has a valid point on the conflicts around training to failure. First of all, we have to remember that "failure" is very subjective....some people give up due to pain earlier than others, but it's not really "failure" in that they could, physically move the weight further if they were mentally stronger or had higher pain tolerance. Also, training to true failure can become an exercise in diminishing returns if the body does not have an optimal recovery environment between workouts. As we get older, our bodies do not recover as fast, additionally, if you are doing heavy cardio and/or not sleeping 8 hours a night, or have stressful home/work life, then this will also compromise your ability to bounce back from intense failure training. I personally like to incorporate failure into my training, but only certain body parts certain workouts. I used to be a failure on every set guy, but found when I stopped just short, I actually got stronger/bigger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 06:31 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,232,965 times
Bodybuilding.com - Is Going To Failure Necessary?

Building muscle doesn't require lifting heavy weights, study shows

Somewhere, I can't find it right now, I saw an article with a 5x5 strength training program. The author advocated only training to failure once per week. The other workouts were done just slightly less than that. Every 6 weeks you were supposed to drop your weights back to what you were doing 2 weeks previously.

Intensity is the key. But so is rest and recuperation. I don't have the answers. I just keep reading.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:53 AM

968 posts, read 2,589,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post

I don't have the answers. I just keep reading.
Now thats the way to do it!

I'll define failure again for the masses.

If ANY part of your form breaks down during a lift that is failure. If you are doing squats and your core is no longer stable but your quads can still lift, that is failure. Failure can be hard to spot sometimes but you need to be aware of the subtle clue your body gives you.

Most lifters define failure as simply the inability to lift the weight for another rep. Its much more subtle than that.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:20 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,428,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
That guy tries way too hard.
unlike someone else on here...

Old 03-06-2012, 07:02 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,369,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
Bodybuilding.com - Is Going To Failure Necessary?

Building muscle doesn't require lifting heavy weights, study shows

Somewhere, I can't find it right now, I saw an article with a 5x5 strength training program. The author advocated only training to failure once per week. The other workouts were done just slightly less than that. Every 6 weeks you were supposed to drop your weights back to what you were doing 2 weeks previously.

Intensity is the key. But so is rest and recuperation. I don't have the answers. I just keep reading.
Similar to conjugate method - i.e, wave dynamic/max effort days for three to four weeks then deload/transition.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:04 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
Powerlifting Competitions? Trying to lift as much as possible? I think a lot of guys are in the gym to push big weight, whether or not they are competitive powerlifters. Most though, don't train like powerlifters.
Well, powerlifting competition would be a good reason to train like a powerlifter...

The guy with the feaux hawk and the affliction shirt who is maxing out his bench and squat every week just in case he gets in a fight at the club is hurting himself for no good reason.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:36 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,369,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Well, powerlifting competition would be a good reason to train like a powerlifter...

The guy with the feaux hawk and the affliction shirt who is maxing out his bench and squat every week just in case he gets in a fight at the club is hurting himself for no good reason.
haha. oh yeah, good ol' affliction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness