Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 11:00 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times

Advertisements

Another simple one is review how much meat you eat. Are you eating too much? Most people do and its the most expensive item on the grocery list. Eat the proper amts and look for cheaper protein alternatives.

Meat-Free Protein Alternatives - Men's Fitness

"Meat-Free Protein-6 alternative protein sources for building muscle and losing fat
by Christopher R. Mohr, Ph.D., R.D.

(detailed info on food in link)
1) EGGS
2) SOY MILK
3) RAW NUTS
4) QUINOA
5) BEANS
6) OATS"

Red Meat Intake Is Associated with Metabolic Syndrome and Plasma C-Reactive Protein Concentrations in Women -- Azadbakht and Esmaillzadeh, 10.3945/jn.108.096297 -- Journal of Nutrition

Protien needs calculator:
Carb, Protein, Fat Calorie Calculator
Protein - What Should You Eat? - The Nutrition Source - Harvard School of Public Health
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 11:34 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,451,384 times
Slightly off topic, but I was talking to a cashier at Whole Foods who told me that the chain is not pulling in the money it used to. They've been cutting employee hours left and right.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:03 PM

947 posts, read 3,409,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Quinoa (pronounced KEEN-WAUGH) is a high protein, high fiber, zero gluten, very filling grain that cooks just like rice. Good stuff. It's becoming popular enough to appear in most grocery stores.

I generally buy it in bulk at Whole Foods, cheaper that way.
I love it!
But just wondering how it compares to oatmeal and/or millet?

I love whole foods! Bulk dept is great!

Old 01-04-2009, 01:28 AM

519 posts, read 1,697,338 times
I love shopping at Trader Joe's as I find many of their products healthier and cheaper than supermarkets or Whole Foods. I particularly like to buy their frozen chicken breast -- $7 for a bag. On the other side, I find their packaged vegetables (squash, green beans, asparagus, etc.) pretty expensive.

One of my favorite dishes is Chicken Cacciatore:

What You Need
9x13" glass/metal pan
3-5 frozen chicken breasts )depending on how much chicken you want)
whatever fresh vegetables (potatoes, carrots, onions, squash, asparagus, etc.)
1-2 jars of Trader Joe's Cacciatore sauce ($3 a jar)
wild rice (as much as you want)

I like to use 3-4 chicken breasts and squeeze in as many vegetables that will fit into the pan.

Instructions
Put the frozen chicken in the glass pan with about 1/2" of water filling the bottom of the pan. Put the pan in the oven at 350 and wait for the chicken to start thawing.

In a sauce pan, start cooking the rice.

Once the chicken has thawed, add your fresh vegetables and cook altogether (note: it's best to cut your vegetables down to large cubes. Carrots and potatoes will take forever to cook if you leave them whole).

Once your chicken and vegetables are cooked (you should be able to put a knife into your vegetable with some ease), add a jar of cacciatore sauce on top. Let the sauce and food flavors cook together for a few minutes. Then I like to add the rice to the chicken and vegetable mix, add another jar of cacciatore sauce, and mix everything in together. Make sure the sauces are simmering (you can see bubbles), and take the pan out of the oven.

I usually get 4-6 one-person meals out of this pan, and it is one of my favorite dishes. I just told my mom about it, and she added artichoke hearts and just loved it.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:51 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4Trees View Post
I love it!
But just wondering how it compares to oatmeal and/or millet?

I love whole foods! Bulk dept is great!
I've never eaten millet. I always thought that was for cows or baiting dove/quail.

I eat a lot of oatmeal as well, but it doesn't lend itself very well to complex dinners. For example, what would you rather eat?

1) Rosemary garlic grilled chicken breast with grilled asparagus, grilled sweet potato slices and quinoa with zucchini and onion.

2) Rosemary garlic grilled chicken breast with grilled asparagus, grilled sweet potato slices and oatmeal with zucchini and onion.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:51 PM

10 posts, read 33,754 times
brown rice and oatmeal!

Old 01-05-2009, 03:52 PM

10 posts, read 33,754 times
also, the frozen meals like lean cusuines are like 3 dollars a box!

Old 01-05-2009, 03:53 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,451,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justdance14 View Post
brown rice and oatmeal!
Sounds good to me.

I'll be eating a lot of it.

I can buy some squash, carrots, cabbage, onions, and potatoes to add to the rice. And bananas for the oatmeal.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:24 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
Some articles on it. Get them before they are moved or gone!

Healthy Foods for Under $1 - Well Blog - NYTimes.com

8 Ways to Cut Your Grocery Bill at SmartMoney.com

Tons of useful links at the bottom of the NYtimes article.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:19 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,210,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscenes View Post
Peanut Butter has to be my favorite healthy and low cost food. I have PB&J or PB&Honey sandwiches for lunch everyday. We buy the huge jars of it at Costco.

For good deals on fresh fruits and veggies try shopping at an asian market if you have one in your area. Around here they are the markets like 99 Ranch, etc. Most of the produce is locally grown and much more affordable than at a chain grocery store.
Wondering on those big jars of pb....does it have partially htdrogenatied oils? Or is it natural pb?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness