Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 10:51 PM

2,278 posts, read 3,922,445 times

Advertisements

My draining exercise (current or not) is talking to Crustedfilth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 06:05 AM

968 posts, read 2,589,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicejb View Post
My draining exercise (current or not) is talking to Crustedfilth
I do have that effect on people.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:54 AM

2,278 posts, read 3,922,445 times
ha ha... funny note from the rep you left me....!!

Old 03-18-2009, 07:58 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Don't feel like any workout does me good if it doesn't leave me exhausted and drained. Bonus points for nausea.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:03 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
That was my attitude for many years, then I let it go, and now I'm actually enjoying my workiouts, and feeling alot more energetic too. My strategy now is to leave the gym feeling like I could have done more. It makes my workout seem easy, so my mind has nothing to rebel against. Most of the time anyway, I look forward to going to the gym. On occassion my mind rebels anyway, so I give myself permission to take it really easy. Once I get started however, I'm right back in the flow and it's business as usual.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:46 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
That was my attitude for many years, then I let it go, and now I'm actually enjoying my workiouts, and feeling alot more energetic too. My strategy now is to leave the gym feeling like I could have done more. It makes my workout seem easy, so my mind has nothing to rebel against. Most of the time anyway, I look forward to going to the gym. On occassion my mind rebels anyway, so I give myself permission to take it really easy. Once I get started however, I'm right back in the flow and it's business as usual.
I am TOTALLY the opposite. If after my workout I feel like I could have done more, I usually turn back around an go and do it. I feel like "whats the point" if I didnt give it my ALL. I am of the mindset to "leave it all" in the gym, which means to workout at maximum intensity levels to the maximum of my ability, otherwise, whats the point of going if half-a$$ing it or even 3/4 a$$ing it?

Old 03-18-2009, 09:51 AM

968 posts, read 2,589,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
I am TOTALLY the opposite. If after my workout I feel like I could have done more, I usually turn back around an go and do it. I feel like "whats the point" if I didnt give it my ALL. I am of the mindset to "leave it all" in the gym, which means to workout at maximum intensity levels to the maximum of my ability, otherwise, whats the point of going if half-a$$ing it or even 3/4 a$$ing it?
I agree. You won't see progress if you don't push yourself to the limit every single time you train.

Unless you're in maintenance mode. Even then you have to challenge yourself cuz if you don't use it you lose it.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:41 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
DaBeez....To me it so cool that we can have totally opposite strategies, yet we both have the perfect strategy for our personalities!

Crustedfilth wrote: You won't see progress if you don't push yourself to the limit every single time you train.

Total nonsense! I rarely ever push myself to the limit. I generally come close to it, but I stay below that threshhold, yet I continue to make enough progress to stay motivated for my next workout. During the 45 years that I've been working out, I rarely ever missed a workout. Most 30 somethings can not stay with me thru my workout ( matching my pace, weights, and reps ), yet it seems relatively easy to me.

I don't mean to give the impression that I don't challenge myself, because I certainly do. What I'm saying is that it is not necessary to push it to the limit to challenge yourself. I went thru many years of leaving it all in the gym, so I know what that's like. Since I made the shift about 12 years ago from leaving it all in the gym to leaving the gym feeling like I could have done more, my workouts are far more enjoyable and my results are just as good as they were when I always pushed it to the limit and left it all in the gym. The trick is not to push it to your limit, but rather to find the point of optimum return. Once you reach a certain point, no matter how much more you do, what little extra benefit you might get is just not worth the massive extra effort. For some of us, at certain times in our lives it may well be that the point of optimum return is indeed to push it to the limit all the time. But that is temporary. It's not sustainable. Guaranteed that you'll reach a point where it does more harm than good. EG: IF you are needing to take more and more supplements to maintain your workout intensity, it's a pretty clear signal that your body is not too happy. It's just a matter of time until you end up on the injured reserve list.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 03-18-2009 at 11:25 AM..

Old 03-18-2009, 06:39 PM

647 posts, read 2,083,701 times
Quote:
DaBeez....To me it so cool that we can have totally opposite strategies, yet we both have the perfect strategy for our personalities!

Crustedfilth wrote: You won't see progress if you don't push yourself to the limit every single time you train.

Total nonsense! I rarely ever push myself to the limit. I generally come close to it, but I stay below that threshhold, yet I continue to make enough progress to stay motivated for my next workout. During the 45 years that I've been working out, I rarely ever missed a workout. Most 30 somethings can not stay with me thru my workout ( matching my pace, weights, and reps ), yet it seems relatively easy to me.

I don't mean to give the impression that I don't challenge myself, because I certainly do. What I'm saying is that it is not necessary to push it to the limit to challenge yourself. I went thru many years of leaving it all in the gym, so I know what that's like. Since I made the shift about 12 years ago from leaving it all in the gym to leaving the gym feeling like I could have done more, my workouts are far more enjoyable and my results are just as good as they were when I always pushed it to the limit and left it all in the gym. The trick is not to push it to your limit, but rather to find the point of optimum return. Once you reach a certain point, no matter how much more you do, what little extra benefit you might get is just not worth the massive extra effort. For some of us, at certain times in our lives it may well be that the point of optimum return is indeed to push it to the limit all the time. But that is temporary. It's not sustainable. Guaranteed that you'll reach a point where it does more harm than good. EG: IF you are needing to take more and more supplements to maintain your workout intensity, it's a pretty clear signal that your body is not too happy. It's just a matter of time until you end up on the injured reserve list.
I agree with most of this post. My one rep max went from 360 up to 425 lbs. in the deadlift in a span of just a few months.....and all I did was just a few set of 3-5 reps (with 80% of my max), never taking any set to failure. I did this four days per week. I made the same type of gains with the squat, same with the bench press. If your body is able to take the abuse of going all out, then more power to you, but I just don't work that way. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:51 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,116,279 times
Quote:

Very interesting debate.
I'm guesing (?) the peeps on this thread are of the body-building/weight-lifter variety?

I'm a long-time (20+ years) endurance junkie (cyclist and runner) and on our side of the table I know that every elite athlete has at least one "rest day" per week built into their schedule. A "rest day" can mean a day off, but usually it would be a 30 min. jog (for a distance runner) or an easy 1 hour spin (for a bike racer).

I also know that most coaches alternate "hard days" (intervals, hill repeats etc) with easier, but usually longer-distance, efforts. In other words, no we do not "leave it all" in the gym (or on the road or trail ) every workout.

So, my curiosity is piqued, are things in the weighlifting world different?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness