Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 06:14 PM

2 posts, read 3,845 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Well I want to get stronger to start off. I just started a work out a small work out at home to get me in shape. I am 15 I am 5 foot 7 and weigh 118.6 and my goal is 135. Not only for JV football but for my self. Also this is a very stupid question but will working out stop your height growth

I am starting to go to the weight room every other day (when it is open) and what should I do

Right now I do this not so much of a bench press because its not but a device with the weight on the back of the machine and you put the pin in to chance the weight but I do 3 sets of 20

My legs are really strong I could do a a lot with them but I still need them stronger so I need a good work out for them

And I run 4 laps (one mile)

My home work out is this

Push Ups
3 sets of 20
or clapping push ups (my friend says they are better and a switch here in then I need to know what is better) 3 sets of 15 (should I so more and which one should I do.)

Sit ups
3 sets of 60 (should I do more?)

Pull ups
2 sets of 5 (Should I do more?)

A kinda dumbbell bar thing (JFit Weighted Aerobic Bar 18 lbs)

3 sets of 20 (Should I do more)

And that is it I just started this on Monday and I need to know if I should add or what should I change. Also I am trying out for kicker and I need to increase my leg flexibility do you know any good work outs?

Thank you

God Bless
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 03:38 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,278,924 times
Does your athletic department/football team have a strength coach? Get in contact with him and he'll put you on a program that will pack you with strength and size. If not, there are other programs out there that you can do on your own, but you're going to have to commit to going to the gym three times a week and doing some serious lifting. You're young and in your prime age for growth, so don't distress.

In the meantime, doing lots of pull-ups and push-ups can help. If flat ground push-ups are too easy, try putting your feet up on a chair or stairs and do decline push-ups. As for pull-ups, do sets of three and do as many as you can each set. Pull-ups are a great exercise for building strength and muscle.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:46 AM

466 posts, read 929,112 times
No suppliments ! !

Old 06-07-2009, 09:51 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Best advice for you is to talk to the coach or PE instructor at your school. They will be able to to guide you in the right direction moreso than us here. Because of your age, I am hesitant to provide you with any advice other than just eat right and listen to your coach/P.E. instructor.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:03 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
At 15 you may not have the hormones to develop muscle mass. So I would not push it. I agree to talk to the football coach. He can show you how to lift right too so that you do not hurt yourself and your efforts are more effective.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:31 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceVibe View Post
Push Ups
3 sets of 20
or clapping push ups (my friend says they are better and a switch here in then I need to know what is better) 3 sets of 15 (should I so more and which one should I do.)
I love body-weight exercises for any age, so I'll offer a suggestion or two for your push-ups and pull-ups.

Stop thinking about the number of push-ups you are doing for a while and start thinking about how long you are doing push-ups. If you focus on a number while doing push-ups you can actually trick yourself into failing on the pre-set number and you make zero progress. Try doing a routine where you do as many push-ups as you can in 30 seconds, then you rest for 60 seconds, then as many as you can in 30 seconds, then rest for 60 seconds. On the next set, do your push-ups as slowly as you can until you fail completely. Make sense? That way you always make progress. Count your push-ups if you want, but never think about "a number to quit on".

If you can't do 10 pull-ups at once, keep doing 3 sets of pull-ups to failure until you can. That is an excellent strengthening exercise.

You can actually hurt yourself pretty badly slingin' iron around before your body is ready so I agree with many of the posters here that you should take it easy or consult an orthopedist before you dive in, but your body is designed to tolerate the stresses you encounter during a push-up, pull-up, dip, crunch or sit-up at any age.

Are you shaving yet? Do you have any hair on your chest? If not your body is still trying to grow primarily "up" rather than "out" and you probably aren't ready for serious strength training.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:34 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-Sayin View Post
No suppliments ! !
Why not? There are plenty of supplements out there that are plenty safe with varying degrees of usefulness.

At the very least, he should be using protein shakes and creatine would be good as well, although he might want to wait a year on that. Glutamine would be another one that he could safely take.

Vibe, here is a great page that gives you exercises by muscle group. You should alternate between upper and lower body and keep your reps low and weight high to build strength.

Bodybuilding.com - #1 Exercises Guide - Over 300 Exercises!

Old 06-09-2009, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Why not? There are plenty of supplements out there that are plenty safe with varying degrees of usefulness.

At the very least, he should be using protein shakes and creatine would be good as well, although he might want to wait a year on that. Glutamine would be another one that he could safely take.

Vibe, here is a great page that gives you exercises by muscle group. You should alternate between upper and lower body and keep your reps low and weight high to build strength.

Bodybuilding.com - #1 Exercises Guide - Over 300 Exercises!
Should be no problem to introduce a high quality whey protein supplement, but I would shy away from creatine. You can make yourself sick or injure organs that you will need later with any number of OTC supplements. It doesn't have to be steroids to be bad for you.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:18 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Should be no problem to introduce a high quality whey protein supplement, but I would shy away from creatine. You can make yourself sick or injure organs that you will need later with any number of OTC supplements. It doesn't have to be steroids to be bad for you.
Creatine is perfectly fine if you follow the dosage instructions and keep your water intake high enough.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Creatine is perfectly fine if you follow the dosage instructions and keep your water intake high enough.
I fully agree with the above, I would simply be wary to make a recommendation for its use in a young man who is probably not ready for the kind of intense training that would justify a creatine regimine. Unless he's ready to be hitting the weights really hard and really heavy at least three days a week he probably has little use for a creatine supplement.

Protein seems to be the most practical recommendation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness