Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 03:29 PM

484 posts, read 854,552 times

Advertisements

Curvy:

Hour glass body that is firm and tone.

Some examples:

Raquel Welch, Jane Russell, Bridget Bardot - If you're old enough to know who these icons are.

Kim Kardashian, Khole Kardashian, Tara Laughton, Kate Winslet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 03:35 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,729,753 times
thank you fire and ice (post #274)! that's curvy. i get tired of seeing all these no boob, no behind, boney women being held out there as 'curvy'

Old 07-13-2012, 03:36 PM

1,171 posts, read 1,948,928 times

Old 07-13-2012, 03:39 PM

Oh my God!! All are nice but the one in light brown/tan is my favorite one. Mmmmmmm

http://cdn.indulgy.com/y5/D2/E9/2514...7lti3U87sc.jpg

Old 07-13-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
thank you fire and ice (post #274)! that's curvy. i get tired of seeing all these no boob, no behind, boney women being held out there as 'curvy'
Well, my freakin' arm is as big as their legs. That would be a "NO"!!

Old 07-13-2012, 04:17 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,620,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Okay. Yes, I'd say those women qualify as curvy but I'd also call this woman curvy.

So the question remains, is curviness about the size of your assets or the shape of your body?
Both. I wouldn't consider the woman you posted 'curvy', because even though she has a small waist, she looks angular and thin. I've always thought of curvy women as soft and with rounded curves. Not necessarily overweight, but not gaunt either.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:51 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,780,920 times
It seems a lot of you are getting at the idea that an hourglass has to be someone with big boobs and I just plain disagree. Hourglass is a shape, not a size or a softness. In fact, I don't think the boobs necessary come into play at all. If the top and bottom are balanced and the waist and hips have a ratio of 0.7 or less, that's an hourglass. That could mean big boobs and butt and 250lbs, or that could be small boobs and butt and 100 lbs, an hourglass is a hourglass regardless of size.

Like that "human hourglass" who caused a stir awhile back. She's grossly underweight and some sort of erotic bondage model who uses corsets to achieve an extremely small waist, but even without the corset she's an hourglass (NSFW). Disgustingly thin, but an hourglass.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:09 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,620,823 times
Quote:
It seems a lot of you are getting at the idea that an hourglass has to be someone with big boobs and I just plain disagree. Hourglass is a shape, not a size or a softness. In fact, I don't think the boobs necessary come into play at all. If the top and bottom are balanced and the waist and hips have a ratio of 0.7 or less, that's an hourglass. That could mean big boobs and butt and 250lbs, or that could be small boobs and butt and 100 lbs, an hourglass is a hourglass regardless of size.

Like that "human hourglass" who caused a stir awhile back. She's grossly underweight and some sort of erotic bondage model who uses corsets to achieve an extremely small waist, but even without the corset she's an hourglass (NSFW). Disgustingly thin, but an hourglass.
It comes down to personal opinion in the end. I don't consider a woman who simply has a small waist curvy. I also believe you can have an hourglass body type and not be curvy. One curve (the waist) with nothing else? Sure, an hourglass..but not curvy.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
It comes down to personal opinion in the end. I don't consider a woman who simply has a small waist curvy. I also believe you can have an hourglass body type and not be curvy. One curve (the waist) with nothing else? Sure, an hourglass..but not curvy.
Curvy= Big boobs, nice round plump thighs, hips and butt. You skinny girl? You NOT curvy girl!

Old 07-13-2012, 06:29 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
Quote:

With her arms up like that, it is hard for me to tell if she is an hourglass or a pear, but I think she is curvy/skinny.

One thing that is tricky about being an hourglass, is what counts more, the look or the measurements.

For example, Marilyn Monroe looks like an hourglass, but she has a flat butt. What about a woman with narrow hips and a big butt. Is she an hourglass (presuming she is wide enough up top). I can't think of an example at the moment, because all of my "big butt" people have wider hips (J.Lo, Kim K, Serena Williams, Buffie the Body...)

I think Christina Hendricks is more of the Marilyn Monroe type: large bust, small waist, big hips. She doesn't have a lot of junk in the trunk.

How about Jessica Biel? Is she curvy? Not in my book, but she curvy butt, so I bet her measurements look more hourglass than she appears.

I personally don't put Kate Upton on "team curvy." She is busty, but fairly straight from bust to hips. She does represent model diversity for that industry, and any form of model diversity makes me happy.

True hourglasses are pretty rare, maybe I'd count Salma Heyek, Eva Mendes and Sofia Vegara. In fact I think I be shocked to find many actresses with hourglass shapes, because most trainers seem to focus on creating narrow hips and a flat tummy. Not a narrow waist and round hips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty