Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 06:33 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,845,684 times

Advertisements

Again when I see a very thin woman I do not think "curvy", I think "thin skinny girl". Seems like the consensus amongst most people is that curvy is a combination of shape and size. While I'm sure some people would label a skinny woman with a defined WHR as curvy, I'd venture to say that most people don't see skinny woman as "curvy"(by society's definition).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 06:39 PM

1,171 posts, read 1,949,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
With her arms up like that, it is hard for me to tell if she is an hourglass or a pear, but I think she is curvy/skinny.

One thing that is tricky about being an hourglass, is what counts more, the look or the measurements.

For example, Marilyn Monroe looks like an hourglass, but she has a flat butt. What about a woman with narrow hips and a big butt. Is she an hourglass (presuming she is wide enough up top). I can't think of an example at the moment, because all of my "big butt" people have wider hips (J.Lo, Kim K, Serena Williams, Buffie the Body...)

I think Christina Hendricks is more of the Marilyn Monroe type: large bust, small waist, big hips. She doesn't have a lot of junk in the trunk.

How about Jessica Biel? Is she curvy? Not in my book, but she curvy butt, so I bet her measurements look more hourglass than she appears.

I personally don't put Kate Upton on "team curvy." She is busty, but fairly straight from bust to hips. She does represent model diversity for that industry, and any form of model diversity makes me happy.

True hourglasses are pretty rare, maybe I'd count Salma Heyek, Eva Mendes and Sofia Vegara. In fact I think I be shocked to find many actresses with hourglass shapes, because most trainers seem to focus on creating narrow hips and a flat tummy. Not a narrow waist and round hips.
IMO the one you posted a few weeks back here //www.city-data.com/forum/fashi...y-type-26.html post #259 at the top of your post is a 10/10.....NO DOUBT!!

Old 07-13-2012, 06:39 PM

124 posts, read 212,812 times
Default Can I make one request?

Can we please stop posting pictures of skeletal women calling them curvy?

I mean people, lets be reasonable. Bone skinny is not what generally comes to mind when you say a woman is curvy. It's just not. And really there isn't even a point to argue on that. One poster said it right when she called the anorexic lady in the black bikini "ANGULAR". Angular is the direct opposite of curvy. Think Jessica Rabbit, not Olivoyl.
curvy not curvy

Moderator cut: images removed

Last edited by Yac; 01-09-2014 at 07:26 AM..

Old 07-13-2012, 06:41 PM

1,171 posts, read 1,949,034 times
But what would us pervy me know....signed the repper!

Old 07-13-2012, 07:00 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,781,587 times
Quote:
With her arms up like that, it is hard for me to tell if she is an hourglass or a pear, but I think she is curvy/skinny.

One thing that is tricky about being an hourglass, is what counts more, the look or the measurements.

For example, Marilyn Monroe looks like an hourglass, but she has a flat butt. What about a woman with narrow hips and a big butt. Is she an hourglass (presuming she is wide enough up top). I can't think of an example at the moment, because all of my "big butt" people have wider hips (J.Lo, Kim K, Serena Williams, Buffie the Body...)

I think Christina Hendricks is more of the Marilyn Monroe type: large bust, small waist, big hips. She doesn't have a lot of junk in the trunk.

How about Jessica Biel? Is she curvy? Not in my book, but she curvy butt, so I bet her measurements look more hourglass than she appears.

I personally don't put Kate Upton on "team curvy." She is busty, but fairly straight from bust to hips. She does represent model diversity for that industry, and any form of model diversity makes me happy.

True hourglasses are pretty rare, maybe I'd count Salma Heyek, Eva Mendes and Sofia Vegara. In fact I think I be shocked to find many actresses with hourglass shapes, because most trainers seem to focus on creating narrow hips and a flat tummy. Not a narrow waist and round hips.
No, Serena Williams is a perfect example of this. From the side, it's clear she has boobs and no shortage of butt. But straight on? She has next to no hips. Her measurements may suggest an hourglass, but just by looking at her shape you can see that she's actually an inverted triangle with shoulders much wider than her hips. Whether or not that's curvy...I say no. I think the defined waist is an essential part of calling someone curvy (like the waistless yet busty Kate Upton). Like you showed, Marilyn had a flat butt and her breasts weren't terribly large either, but no one questions her curviness because of her WHR. It really seems to be the defining feature of "curvy".

I found a thread on another forum that hashed out the question of how to define shape. The most compelling poster essentially said to throw the measurements out the window because they don't tell you about shape. 38 inch hips could mean wide hips and a flat butt or narrow hips and a bodacious butt. But pair either of those with the same small waist and one would look curvy and the other straight up and down. This poster suggested that it's not the boobs or chest size that have to balance the hips, it's the shoulders. I don't know if I agree with that assessment completely, but I agree that if someone has shoulders significantly more narrow than their hips, it doesn't matter how big their boobs are, they are a pear.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:01 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fire&ice View Post
Can we please stop posting pictures of skeletal women calling them curvy?

I mean people, lets be reasonable. Bone skinny is not what generally comes to mind when you say a woman is curvy. It's just not. And really there isn't even a point to argue on that. One poster said it right when she called the anorexic lady in the black bikini "ANGULAR". Angular is the direct opposite of curvy. Think Jessica Rabbit, not Olivoyl.
curvy not curvy

NOT Curvy
So I'd never call the Hilton sisters curvy. But Sarah Jessica Parker? She's skinny and curvy in my book.

Scarlett Johanssen too. She's "skinny curvy."

And of course Serena Williams is strong and curvy:

And then I guess "curvy" and likely an hourglass
Moderator cut: image removed

Last edited by Yac; 01-09-2014 at 07:27 AM..

Old 07-13-2012, 07:02 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,303,705 times
Quote:

Miracle workers they are not! That's a rare shape> usually given in genes.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:04 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,781,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkisses87 View Post
Again when I see a very thin woman I do not think "curvy", I think "thin skinny girl". Seems like the consensus amongst most people is that curvy is a combination of shape and size. While I'm sure some people would label a skinny woman with a defined WHR as curvy, I'd venture to say that most people don't see skinny woman as "curvy"(by society's definition).
I think that has a lot to do with the way the word curvy has been hijacked as a euphemism for fat. I agree, if someone were describing another person as curvy, I'd take that to mean big boobs and wouldn't assume anything else about their shape.

But I think that's wrong, not the actual meaning and it's time to reclaim the word.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
This poster suggested that it's not the boobs or chest size that have to balance the hips, it's the shoulders. I don't know if I agree with that assessment completely, but I agree that if someone has shoulders significantly more narrow than their hips, it doesn't matter how big their boobs are, they are a pear.
I know for me, I looked like a pear, until I started lifting weights. No my shoulder balance my hips more than they used to. And I have no shortage of boobs. So I look less pear and more hourglass.

I think inverted triangles can look curvy. But not busty rulers. (i.e. Dolly Parton, her hips are pretty narrow)

Old 07-13-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
I think that has a lot to do with the way the word curvy has been hijacked as a euphemism for fat. I agree, if someone were describing another person as curvy, I'd take that to mean big boobs and wouldn't assume anything else about their shape.

But I think that's wrong, not the actual meaning and it's time to reclaim the word.
I agree! And I am not small. But it really doesn't matter what my clothing size is, I have a difficult shape to fit. Curvy. Aka I have big boobs, a defined waist and thick thighs. Basically the shape that is clothing purgatory. (And the shape I will have if I am a size 4 or a size 16.)

Then maybe we can get some clothes cut for curvy people regardless of size. I recently sent a letter to the editor to one of the mainstream women's mags to stop labeling the plus size women "curvy" and instead just focus on body shape with a not on if plus sizes were available. You can be a small or plus sized apple or pear or or banana or hourglass. Also, I don't believe that "skinny" is a body type either.

Calling someone curvy these days gives you absolutely no idea of what their shape might be!

** and not everyone who is "curvy" aka larger wins the genetic lottery and gets bigger boobs. If that was true there wouldn't be a need for a 40AAA bra.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty