Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2012, 02:43 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,651,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
An interesting comparison is when you look at the gay community. With exceptions, of course, gay men wanting to appeal to other men are more body-, weight-, and fashion-conscious than many gay women who wish to appeal to women. If it was just about gender, the gay men would be sloppy and the lesbians would be decked-out.
That's actually kind of funny you should mention that... because most of the gay men I know ARE sloppy and most of the lesbians I know are 'decked-out'

I lived with 3 gay men at one point and one was a mechanic always leaving car parts around the house, one was a computer programmer/theater guy who dressed in nothing but sweater vests or gaming tshirts and the third..well... I was happy when the third was wearing any type of clothing.

One of my best friends is a lesbian and she's absolutely gorgeous. Thin, curvy, big fake boobs and ALWAYS has her nails done/hair done etc. I know a few more lesbians who definitely put me to shame in the looks/dress/makeup etc. game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 02:50 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,093,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Did men some how evolve in to a different species between then and now, or did the media decide that image was "out", just as they decided the hippy, curvy Marilyn Monroe look was "out" about 40 years ago?
This is the weirdest thing. For some reason around the 70's, maybe earlier, a boyish figure for women became the norm in men's mags, and the broader media. It hasn't really changed, except for more recently, when fake boobs were added to the boyish figure. But if you ask men (as someone did on a recent poll here on C-D), most of them will say they prefer "curvy", a la Marilyn Monroe. So men's taste hasn't changed. So where did this bizarre new norm in the media come from, what motivated it? Why were men's magazines, and the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue for decades full of women with small breasts (relative to the 50's/60's "Monroe era") and thicker waists? Why was the hourglass figure abandoned by the media in favor of what was called a more "tubular" figure for women? It makes no sense.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:52 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,742,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
An interesting comparison is when you look at the gay community. With exceptions, of course, gay men wanting to appeal to other men are more body-, weight-, and fashion-conscious than many gay women who wish to appeal to women. If it was just about gender, and the men don't care about looks and women do, the gay men would be universally sloppy and the lesbians would be decked-out.

yes, most of the gay men I have known are very into their looks too and this is an interesting comparison between the two communities. IMO, the gay male equals the stra8 woman in this scenario, if that makes sense. LOL. Off the subject: but I have had major issues with gay males (just like the straight ones ). They feel like they can talk any way to a woman just b/c they're gay. Well that doesn't fly with me, they're still men whether they like it or not & I don't put up with their B.S. either.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:00 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,207,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
I used to work in women's magazines. I know that women are primarily writing the articles. I never said they weren't. What I said was: these things are of such importance to women because of the pressures men put on women to look a certain way. The women who rarely follow these types of trends and things get criticized, ostracized and ignored by men (and some women) in general. Go look at that weight/dealbreaker thread' and you will see examples what I am talking about. There is a demand for women to look a certain way as decided by men. Once again: What they say online, is NOT what I see IRL. I don't care how many times they "talk" about wanting the "nerdy, no make up girl" over the "hot one."

Believe what you want and I'll do the same.

Hold on. Are you sure "men" are the ones putting the pressures on though?

I contend that men are being bamboozled by the SAME media that is selling all those magazines and clothes to women trying to impress the men. They are both chasing the same image that was created and glamorized by the media.

If they werent, how do you explain different body styles being "attractive" over the years?

If it was a biology thing, all men would be attracted to the same body type, regardless of the year or era. Thats not the case though. At one point in time, the stereotypical model of today would be found unattractive, frail, sickly and useless for childbearing or household work.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:03 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,151,129 times
Default Yup.

I think like actress Kat Dennings is ideal.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:08 PM

62 posts, read 212,939 times
Gay men hit the fashion scene after the pin up era and the ideal female body shape became more unisex and boyish. hmmmm....wonder why?

All those mags are pulling from female in security , it is currently the biggest form of sexism.

Plus whatever becomes harder to obtain, becomes "ideal". Its really hard to not eat and shrink to a size 0, so it becomes more idolized.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:14 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,651,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Hold on. Are you sure "men" are the ones putting the pressures on though?

I contend that men are being bamboozled by the SAME media that is selling all those magazines and clothes to women trying to impress the men. They are both chasing the same image that was created and glamorized by the media.

If they werent, how do you explain different body styles being "attractive" over the years?

If it was a biology thing, all men would be attracted to the same body type, regardless of the year or era. Thats not the case though. At one point in time, the stereotypical model of today would be found unattractive, frail, sickly and useless for childbearing or household work.
I try to ignore the media as much as possible, and go by the opinions of the men I'm surrounded by. The men I'm surrounded by seem to like rail thin with a butt and/or boobs, and short. Most of the guys I know prefer a girl whose hip bones stick out a bit when she's wearing jeans, and that's the type of girl they go after. Curvy girls? No way, unless they were very thin and short. I've been told by many of my guy friends that Kim Kardashian is a 'fat cow' and they wouldn't look twice at her.

Judging by the women these guys are marrying, they're usually around 5'5 and a size 0 or 2.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:33 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,788,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is the weirdest thing. For some reason around the 70's, maybe earlier, a boyish figure for women became the norm in men's mags, and the broader media. It hasn't really changed, except for more recently, when fake boobs were added to the boyish figure. But if you ask men (as someone did on a recent poll here on C-D), most of them will say they prefer "curvy", a la Marilyn Monroe. So men's taste hasn't changed. So where did this bizarre new norm in the media come from, what motivated it? Why were men's magazines, and the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue for decades full of women with small breasts (relative to the 50's/60's "Monroe era") and thicker waists? Why was the hourglass figure abandoned by the media in favor of what was called a more "tubular" figure for women? It makes no sense.
Hmm, but how are you determining the popular body type of each decade? Go searching for "sex symbols of 19XXs" and every decade after the 1920s is dominated by busty hourglass women. This shape has never gone out of favor with men or with the public. The only reason the waists may seem bigger is because we've moved away from fashions that unnaturally shrink and tighten the abdomen. Marilyn's uncorseted curves were no more extreme than bikini models of today.

I've seen more media coverage of Kim Kardashian and her assets than any straight figured woman, so I'd hardly call the curvy figure abandoned. And, really, when was the last time you saw a small chested, thick waisted woman as a Playboy or Maxim centerfold? The last SI swimsuit cover was graced by Kate Upton who doesn't have the most defined waist but is by no means small chested. So what men's magazines are you referring to?

And let's remember that the most common body type amongst women is the "tubular" figure. The banana, the column, the pillar, whatever you'd like to call it and many many many women are in complete denial of their own banana-ness, crying out "But, but, my waist is 6 inches smaller than my hips! That's half a foot!" But alas, they are bananas and you'll find that most clothing manufacturers reflect this majority in the apparel they produce.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:52 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,410,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Oh, I get PLENTY of attention but it's usually laced with negativity. Last weekend I had a girl come up to me and say 'wow, you're so tall! It must be impossible to get dates!' Or the ever present ' Why do you wear heels?? You're already a giant!'. I laugh and move on, but it seems to me my height (or my boobs) are always a topic of conversation and I seem well-liked, but romantically men simply aren't interested.

I did hit on a 5'2 asian guy last weekend who turned me down flat...haha.

It must be a regional thing or where you're hanging out because the majority of women are complimentary to me and if they're nasty, they don't say anything. They just look me up and down or give me the cold stare or occasionally try and shove/push me out of the way at the bar. I experienced both types this past weekend.

And yeah, I've gotten the "Why do you wear heels?" but it's usually from women who are 5'8"-5'10" and are insecure about their own height. They're usually giving me props for sporting high heels and tell me how great I look, it's not so much negative remarks.

In case you don't know, your height will always be a topic of conversation, especially with strangers. I'm hitting 38 and it hasn't changed.

Oh how I would love to take you out with me Jet!!!! We'd own the place!!!!!

Old 06-20-2012, 03:55 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,536,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
If you are happy with your body type, then why not state you wouldn't want to be an inch over 5'3" as opposed to 5'6"?

It's definitely evident there are deeper issues between you and your in-laws based on this post and the previous post, especially the "Karma" remark.

I worked in a nursing facility for several years and always felt the taller residents (both men and women) looked more youthful. The shorter ones were "cute," but they still looked older.
That to me is the highest acceptable height. I don't like tall women or that look. You are making a big deal over this.

Really, go to a nursing home to figure out what height looks good. Actually, are you one of those sister in laws?

No, just read the men's preferences on the thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty