Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2013, 06:46 PM

4,965 posts, read 5,687,647 times

Advertisements

My Dear old Grandma Gemima still looks really good these days. About to turn 45 next week. My mum is only 35. I'm 26.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 06:56 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,162,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan View Post
My Dear old Grandma Gemima still looks really good these days. About to turn 45 next week. My mum is only 35. I'm 26.
45-35=10, 35-26=9. Doubtful.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I don't understand why some think it is important to have clothes that "flatter" or that have "style".

Why not clothes that are practical and comfortable? And washable with little or no ironing?

Is it a matter of IQ or desire to say "Hey!!! Lookie ME. Aren't I somthing special!!!"

Maybe it's a matter of growing up. Some women never seem to do that. They are usually quite unhappy as they age.

Good Luck to You!!!
"Flatter" is key IMO. Something doesn't have to be trendy or expensive to be flattering. I certainly don't care if something is the height of fashion. Those skinny jeans only look good on about 5% of the population. I'm about comfort. I'm not going to spend my day in discomfort so someone else might like my clothes. I'm big on basics like khakis and t-shirts.

I don't wear "mom" jeans. I always match. I pick styles that flatter my shape. I am always comfortable, and I don't have to think too hard when I pick out an outfit.

I'm 40, BTW

Old 09-23-2013, 08:16 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,223,294 times
I don't consider most of those women on the first post old.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:54 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,727,802 times
And a BIG ^5 to all the positive ideas brought forth in this thread. I would only add that a woman in middle age or older need never fear looking like mutton dressed as lamb as long as she boldly owns her style, pays attention to proportion, fit, quality, grooms herself impeccably, tends very well to her body and strives to look fresh, crisp..well put together with her fashion choices.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
And a BIG ^5 to all the positive ideas brought forth in this thread. I would only add that a woman in middle age or older need never fear looking like mutton dressed as lamb as long as she boldly owns her style, pays attention to proportion, fit, quality, grooms herself impeccably, tends very well to her body and strives to look fresh, crisp..well put together with her fashion choices.
More power to the woman who has the time and money for that. Not everyone does.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:34 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,223,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
More power to the woman who has the time and money for that. Not everyone does.
That's for sure. Plus add having children, working outside the home and all those things women do
inside the home - called a second career or supermoms. Geez, why do we constantly have
these comparisons of female celebrities and hollywood types whose careers are their looks?
They spend a good portion of their day working on themselves because they are their own
commodity. They have trainers, assistants, stylists, cooks, nannies, accountants, house keepers etc..
and most have work done by surgeons to keep their appearance.
This is not reality to the majority of women and as you age, despite all your efforts, eventually
you will age. This is not a deformity or a disease - it's called getting older.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:00 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,597,285 times
I just need to work on my posture!

Old 09-27-2013, 07:51 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,098,250 times
My mother is 53 and my grandmother is 86 and they both have always been very stylish.
My mother dresses in clothes that flatter her, with vibrant colors much like some of the women in these pictures. Even on a day to day basis she looks good, not just for special occasions. It does help that she is in great shape, eats healthy and loves herself. She has always dressed for herself and has always had a great sense of style.
My grandmother is classic. If she's going to an event, she always wears beautiful classic dresses that she's had for years, nice jewelry, and has her hair done and light make up. Her hair is "virgin" she has never put any coloring to it, but it only started going full gray in the last 10-15 years or so. (My mother dies her hair but it looks natural and she keeps it about shoulder length.) Her hair is usually cut in a short bob and she curls it every morning. She's adorable. For her day to day wardrobe, it is usually classic black pants and a neutral color top.
Both of them always look put together no matter if they are just at home or going out. And neither have much money. Both have great, style and know what works for them they always value the way the present themselves.
Oh and both have worked outside the home, I remember my grandmother working up until I was about 12 (that was only 16 years ago) and my mother still works (usually 45-50 hour weeks), I have a 16 year old brother that she's still raising and she manages to keep herself and the whole household together.
No offense to anyone, but if you want to wear oversized sweatshirts/t-shirts and ugly jeans then that's your choice but you can be comfortable and look presentable no matter your age. I've seen both my grandmothers, my mother and her sisters do it. I intend on aging like them, with great style and looking fabulous! =)
Some people just don't have any sense of style or don't like fashion and that's fine too, do what you want but don't make excuses. My mil and sil are like that, they both admit they don't like fashion and that they don't know much about having a sense of style and they gladly ask for advice if they are going somewhere important that they feel they should dress up for but don't know how to. However, they both admit that they just don't care for it, they don't make any excuses as to why they dress the way they do.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:09 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,186,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
cool pics, but....old ladies??

some of them seem to be in their 30s
...and not a one is close to fifty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty