Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 03:36 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
It almost gives the impression that there's no win for some of you.

You assume that the women who look good for their age have all had plastic surgery, yet someone who simply looks her age like Jamie Lee Curtis "has made herself look older" --- whatever that means!

The point I was trying to make is that beauty doesn't stop at age 50 or 60 or 80. Nor do fashion and style.

Some women do seem to give up as they get older. They no longer turn heads as they used to, so now they figure what difference does it make what they look like. It's like fashion is just reserved for younger women.

But my point is that you can be 100 years old as the photos show, and still enjoy fashion and self-expression.

And you don't need to follow those "age-appropriate" guidelines that people want to throw out there---that's what bothers me more than anything.

Like you can't wear a wicked pair of spiked-heel knee-high black boots like Anna Wintour does in the first set of photos just because you're 67. She does it, and it looks great.

Like the idea that for some reason you have to dress conservatively instead of wearing something striking, and you have to cover your knees because (gasp!) they might have some wrinkles, or you can't have long hair after age 60, or all the other restrictions that people like to put on older women (but not men).
Yes, and it's too often other women that put those restrictions on older women. Sad, that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 03:38 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,611,888 times
You give the impression that women should be a slave to fashion and current styles, even if they have no interest in it.

I think if Jamie Lee Curtis wasn't famous and knew she wasn't going to be photographed, she would probably throw on a hoodie and jeans to run to Walmart to grab T-P and garbage bags.

All the older women I know can dress pretty damn sharp when the occasion calls for it, but in daily anonymous life they dress for comfort.

You're right that beauty, fashion and style stops at age 50 or 60 or 80. I've never heard anyone say they do. But the need to impress daily probably begins to wane around the age of 50 or so.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:41 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Yes, and it's too often other women that put those restrictions on older women. Sad, that.
I think it's sad when women put those restrictions on themselves. I see so many older women dressed in beige----they just disappear. When you're already faded looking yourself, i.e. your skin tone has faded and your hair is grey or white, the last thing you need is to be head-to-toe in beige. Beige is a hard color for anyone to wear close to the face at any age unless your coloring is dark or olive-toned.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:48 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,546,864 times
While I completely respect the fact that everyone should ultimately dress the way he/she wants to .....

one thing that really gets me is the older women who basically look like men.

They cut off their hair, and wear jeans, polar fleece jackets, and tennis shoes (or some variation of that).

I can understand WHY women do this - after years of fussing with their hair, make-up, jewelry, heels, hose, etc, they reach a point where they just don't want to deal with it anymore.

So they adopt a very low-maintenance look - which happens to look like how many men dress.

That is certainly their prerogative, but I don't care for that look myself.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:56 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,316,274 times
Default Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
You give the impression that women should be a slave to fashion and current styles, even if they have no interest in it.

I think if Jamie Lee Curtis wasn't famous and knew she wasn't going to be photographed, she would probably throw on a hoodie and jeans to run to Walmart to grab T-P and garbage bags.

All the older women I know can dress pretty damn sharp when the occasion calls for it, but in daily anonymous life they dress for comfort.

You're right that beauty, fashion and style stops at age 50 or 60 or 80. I've never heard anyone say they do. But the need to impress daily probably begins to wane around the age of 50 or so.
Exactly...after all these decades why can't we please ourselves and dress in beige or gray or black or any other color that we find peaceful and/or pleasing to ouselves? Why Oh Why is it so difficult for someone to believe that we know how we're dressing and we're OKAY with it?

Old 10-28-2012, 04:14 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The problem I have, is some older women completely abandon their personal style when thy got older. Even if they had one in their youth. It just seems strange to me. (This is what my mom did starting at age 50 or so).
When I did office work I had my 'uniform'. When I escaped the office I kept the suits but never once wore any of them. I didn't like how they made me feel. I never did, but female not secretary wore suits. I'm pretty confident in my personal very dressed down casual style, and pretty much stick with that. When people get older, and abandon some of the things they used to wear, I think it more indicates that they were fitting in with their clothes. They don't have to now and can go for it.

As for how old you look, I had a really neat experinece recently. A relative turned 51. We went out to dinner. She had gotten her free icecream and fudge, and I said I had nine years on her... Waitress just said no, you're kidding. It *had* to be honest, but she refused to believe me....

This isn't rare, since in the 50's my landlord was sure I couldn't be more than 35. Just kinda cool. No surgery, no treatments, .... but ..... as I get a rash from sun sensitivity since I was ill in the seventies, I keep out of the sun. I'm pretty sure its that.

But I do as I can to encourage the youthful look, and have no plans for the above, and when I'm twenty years older will be perfectly happy to accept age as its a part of life. Part of me is an imp of fifteen, and always will be. And part of me has experienced LIFE and shed the imps innocence, and as long as the imp is there I won't feel old.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:16 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Hehehehe. I love it!
If I was the mom, and discovered something I liked missing and you were the culpret, you'd never touch my clothes. I think its not up to the daughter but MOM. It's her life and HER wardrobe.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
Exactly...after all these decades why can't we please ourselves and dress in beige or gray or black or any other color that we find peaceful and/or pleasing to ouselves? Why Oh Why is it so difficult for someone to believe that we know how we're dressing and we're OKAY with it?
I think we should dress however we want to, at any age.

Personally I think beige or grey is not flattering on many older people, and I don't know why someone would want to look worse than they have to. But that's their prerogative.

Well I'm 54, and personally, I like to dress in a way that lifts my spirits and makes me feel and look good. Like, I'm a fan of red coats. My regular cool weather anorak is red, I have a red Michael Kors wool coat for winter, and a shiny dark red parka for really cold days. There's nothing like a red coat, or a kelly green one, to lift ones spirits on a gloomy gray day like today (hello Hurricane Sandy).

And this is a life-long habit, when I was around 6 and 7, I would often dress head to toe in red---my older sister would call me the devil.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
If I was the mom, and discovered something I liked missing and you were the culpret, you'd never touch my clothes. I think its not up to the daughter but MOM. It's her life and HER wardrobe.
My late mother was the original grunge rocker. She wore mustard colored sweaters and other strange color combinations, and layers of weird assortments of plaids, and fluorescent Adidas way before the hipsters discovered that look. My sister and I were mortified but Mum was artistic and that's the way she chose to dress, and now I admire her for it.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:29 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
Quite honestly, there ARE some clothes that look ridiculous on older women (starting 50-60, and I'm talking about ordinary women, not models). A miniskirt or bikini just do not look good on women past a certain age. Likewise older men shouldn't show too much skin or wear young guy's fashions (such as worn by skateboarders, we've all seen them, cap backwards etc). Of course I'm talking about being in public as in shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty