Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 11:56 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,817,966 times

Advertisements

Nice hair and make up......There is NO substitute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 07:22 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,715,382 times
1- healthy condition in skin, hair, teeth and nails
2- steam or press whatever you wear before putting it on
3- don't OD on accessories
4- classic nail styles over trendy or funky. If its funky keep it toned down in length or visual loud-ness
5- makeup that flatters and is right for your skin type and tone (this is as bad as the bra issue already gone over)
6- being fit - Don't need to be a size two, but being active at any size makes everything sit better, and your skin/hair health/look benefits from exercise.
7- regular maintenance: dentist, facial treatments when needed, special hair treatments when needed
8- Don't show too much skin unless you are at the beach
9- self tanner,sun or leg makeup if your bare legs look blotchy

i agree on the undies, no roots, decent bra and spanx if you need them.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:27 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,225,484 times
Having a nice haircut, or trim always looks good. Well made clothes, even if they are jeans and a t-shirt can look good. Clean shoes. A nice pretty lipstick even if you are in grubbies looks good.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:57 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,730,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
I love reading about people's fashion/beauty tips and advice!! I am... ah-hem, over 25, consider myself in tune with the culture and fashions of the day. I was out at the store earlier and just observing people, and also thinking about the whole idea of loooking polished, even when dressed casually. I think having eyebrows neat and shaped, and neat nails polished or unpolished are a start, even if not wearing makeup or heavy makeup which I don't usually wear. Other suggestions???
Target has some great clothing selections for the over 30 polished look you're seeking, at great prices.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:29 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
Target has some great clothing selections for the over 30 polished look you're seeking, at great prices.
Shop wisely, and you can get polished clothing at basically any store. I have a bunch of stuff from Target, Old Navy, Kohl's, H&M and higher end stuff.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:15 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,905,067 times
Iron your clothes. Even knits like t-shirts need ironing unless you've just taken them out of the dryer that very second. Use the steam function or sizing spray and the hottest temperature the fabric will allow. Iron the fold-creases out of your sweaters too.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:51 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,376,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Iron your clothes. Even knits like t-shirts need ironing unless you've just taken them out of the dryer that very second. Use the steam function or sizing spray and the hottest temperature the fabric will allow. Iron the fold-creases out of your sweaters too.
I too prefer the wrinkle free look.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:02 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,274,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Not to make this into a big "thing" but it really is bothersome when people say that "curly" or "kinky" or "coily" hair is not polished.

I wear my hair in its naturally kinky/curly texture and I am most certainly still polished.

I said MY long curly hair is not polished, because it's not.

I wish I had nice obedient ringlets that stayed where they are supposed to be but as a white woman with scottish ancestry, what I've got is a lunatic mane which goes whatever way it chooses then frizzes up besides. I can't keep it trimmed because it grows too fast I'd spend most of my life and money at the hairdressers, so I've grown it long for simplicity's sake. If I leave it unstraightened I run the risk of looking like one of the feral peasants out of Braveheart. Other people love my hair but I do not, never have. It's not polished, just wild, and has been the bane of my existence over the years. I've always wanted dead straight hair, even before it was fashionable.

Thank God for straighteners.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:09 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,376,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post

I wish I had nice obedient ringlets that stayed where they are supposed to be but as a white woman with scottish ancestry, what I've got is a lunatic mane which goes whatever way it chooses then frizzes up besides. I can't keep it trimmed because it grows too fast I'd spend most of my life and money at the hairdressers, so I've grown it long for simplicity's sake. If I leave it unstraightened I run the risk of looking like one of the feral peasants out of Braveheart. Other people love my hair but I do not, never have. It's not polished, just wild, and has been the bane of my existence over the years. I've always wanted dead straight hair, even before it was fashionable.

Funny!!

Old 11-13-2012, 07:35 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,715,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post

grace coddington:
Photographer for Vogue. She was in a car wreck so her older self is not quite the same but she was lucky to be alive. All that aside....love the crazy hair that goes everywhere. I think as long as everything else is polished its one of those things you can get away with. Strait is nice too but I love it when I see people with hair that looks like a lion's mane. Its rare.

Img Source: Grace Coddington - Voguepedia

Crazy hair, but still looking polished. Age: 71
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty