Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 10:51 AM

571 posts, read 1,201,641 times

Advertisements

I personally feel that clean, brushed hair, clean skin and lip gloss are part of my regimen that I can never skip.

From there, well fitting clothes (dressy, work or casual) that fit. Well tailored. No bulges, no underwear lines, no pulled buttons.

For work style, I tend to go for the polished look. Never too trendy.

BUT, I have to admit my real love of fashion is VERY tacky. I love the outlandish: bold colors, sequins, metallics, leather, super tall heals, layered accessories, crazy nail colors - I just try not to wear it all at once.

I don't think my tackiness is going to get subdued with age, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 11:52 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,909,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelcake4 View Post
No bulges, no underwear lines
Yes! I'm always amazed at how people choose the wrong underwear and how obvious it is to everyone else, but not the wearer. Panty lines--there is no excuse--don't people ever look at their back in a mirror?

Also, bra straps that hang down and show, bras that make big bulges of fat on a person's back or sides, and dark colored underwear under light colored clothing.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:07 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,548,933 times
Well cut, neat, clean hair. Ratty, unkempt hair is incompatible with a polished look.

Clear, smooth skin.

Straight, healthy teeth. Crooked, stained, or missing teeth are a huge detractor from a sophisticated look.

Small-to-moderate amount of natural-looking makeup. Too much very bright or dark makeup looks cheap, and too little looks unfinished.

Manicured nails. Nails should be of equal lengths. Nails of varying lengths is tacky. If one nail breaks, cut all the others to that length. Color is not necessary. However, if nails are polished, colors should be conservative, e.g., no electric blue, greens, wild purples, etc.

Clean, good-quality, well-fitting, ironed/pressed clothes. Clothing that flatters your figure and coloring.Nothing too tight, too short, worn out, stained. No visible panty lines. No visible brassieres. Wear skin-toned underwear under light-colored/somewhat sheer clothing.

Well-made, well-maintained shoes. Shoes should be clean, and not run-down at the heel, scuffed, cracked, or show the outline of your toes.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:26 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
It will be a cold day in hell when I iron a knit shirt.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:29 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,909,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It will be a cold day in hell when I iron a knit shirt.
But I'm sure you would have the sense to iron it or fluff it in the dryer if it was all wrinkled. I see so many people looking like they've slept in their clothes.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:31 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,231,228 times
I'd love to see posters' photos here with their definition of a polished look.

Maybe my standards for it are too high, but out of the women I see around on the streets, maybe 5-10% at most have that
look that I would really consider polished. The rest are very very far from it. The polished women I see are generally the ladies-who-lunch type, where you can see that they have the means and lifestyles to really take care of their appearance. Also some professional women, mostly younger ones, or those that work in high-end retail, cosmetics, etc, where their job requires them to look put together.
Personally I strive for the polished look but feel I never have the time and/or willpower to completely achieve it, especially with a young child. Even with the right clothes, makeup, etc, it's just hard to get that 'glow' that seems to emanate from some women. Genes play a huge part too of course - if you're blessed with perfect skin, thick hair, perfect white teeth etc, it'll be much easier to achieve the polished look than someone who can only get those things through extensive procedures and care.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:39 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,324,301 times
It also helps to stand perfectly still on a windless, humidity-free day.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:58 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,610,711 times
Wow, great suggestions on here.

I think you've got to have that polished gene as well. Some women look better in that messy look, some don't. It would really depend on your type, not your age IMO of course. You might want to determine your type first, then pick the look that flatters it the most. Some woman just look older in the polished look, some with darker hair look harsher, some look like a "southern lady."

(In an office it's a different story)

lol I am thinking I'm the wrong one to ask, so I won't be putting anymore of my two cents in. I'm not that polished, I can only go with what I've seen. I don't have that gene.

I do understand the feeling though, I get it sometimes as well. I soon realize there are certain women that can pull it off well and I'm not that woman. I'm that crazy looking woman in the t shirt, long skirt or jeans and flip flops with the crazy hair. lol I'm sure I've made some of you cringe just a little.

Oh yes, and then there's the will to keep it up. I'd never suggest it if it didn't come naturally to a woman with any small kids still. If you haven't done it all along, wait until you have some serious time to devote to the whole sha-blam. Scale down, buy well, and visit the salon often.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:55 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,757,428 times
And um....25 is a yougin!!!

Old 11-20-2012, 07:55 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,855,394 times
I think the key is to avoid the Forever 21 school of fashion-- cheaply made, overly layered clothes, stretch pants, Uggs, long "beach" hair, bangle bracelets, dangling earrings. Know your shape and buy clothes with some structure that flatter you.

Sometimes, a signature color will help. I had a friend who loved burgundy-- she mainly wore neutrals (charcoal, tan, black) with some sort of burgundy accent and it always looked fresh.

Hair is important. Personally, I think overly long hair (past the bra strap) detracts from a "polished" look, but I know this is a personal preference. If it is long, wear it up for more formal or work occasions. Make sure its fully dry when you leave the house. One of my coworkers had long long hair that was always wet when she came in to work. She generally looked like she just got out of the shower no matter what she was wearing and in 9am meetings it didn't protray a professional demeanor. Get a haircut that looks neat and works for your face. Typically some sort of bob looks good on anyone. If your hair is curly , make sure that it is well cared for and not frizzy. Neat and healthy are the key words here. And, for heaven's sake keep up with your color! Long roots are a no no.

Shoes-- wear a heel but not a stripper shoe if you are a heel person. I was recently in a business meeting and one of the secretaries came in a a killer suit and some 5 inch open toe platforms. From the feet up, she rocked it, but the shoes screamed "I'd rather be at the club". You can take some risks with your footwear and accessories if the rest of you is put together, but don't go overboard. Ask for a second opinion if you aren't sure.

I think being polished can also be fun-- it doesn't have to be an old lady thing. I really love vintage fashion and I mix up elements from the 30s, 40s and 50s with more modern pieces. It works on my body (hourglassy) and I always get compliments. I am not someone who can pull off an empire waist, a prarie skirt, skinny jeans or a hippie tunic. I know this about myself. I think the mistake most people make is going straight for a "look" or an outfit without figuring out honestly whether or not it works on them. If I were tall with small breasts and boyish hips, I would have a totally different wardrobe.

Last edited by confusedasusual; 11-20-2012 at 08:01 AM.. Reason: add
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty