Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 05:48 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,377,347 times

Advertisements

I love reading about people's fashion/beauty tips and advice!! I am... ah-hem, over 25, consider myself in tune with the culture and fashions of the day. I was out at the store earlier and just observing people, and also thinking about the whole idea of loooking polished, even when dressed casually. I think having eyebrows neat and shaped, and neat nails polished or unpolished are a start, even if not wearing makeup or heavy makeup which I don't usually wear. Other suggestions???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 06:25 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times
Accessories. Carry a nice structured bag and you always look more polished.

The right jewelry works too. I am working on finding signature pieces and style. Not there yet. But working on it.

I think the most important thing to looking polished is to not be a super trend *****. Following some trends is fine. Following them all at once always makes you look like you are trying to hard to be young.

I am not a big makeup wearer, but I have upped the amount I am wearing. I have graduated to powder! (Adding on to my mascara, lip gloss and occasional eye liner.) It adds a bit of polish, and helps me reclaim some of the youthfulness that I am losing as I age. (well ok covers up my jumbo pores and hyper-pigmentation spots.)

And then don't forget the basics, pick clothing that fits well and adheres to your style. Whatever that is. And if you don't have a signature style yet, work on developing it.

I know mine is a sort of edgy preppy look. I go for the basic shapes in interesting colors. And I incorporate a few trends, if I like them. Right now I like leopard, peplum, oxblood, and electric blue.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:34 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,361,144 times
Wear a good quality watch and nice earrings. Make sure that your shoes are in good condition; i.e., polished and heels are not worn down. For work, I would stay away from the large hoop earrings and the big bangle bracelets.

Make sure that your clothes are neatly pressed and that they fit. It is always good to have maybe one trendy item to make your outfit pop, but classic, if that is your style, is always in fashion.

Make sure that you makeup is not too much, but you need to wear some.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:42 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,495,600 times
Easy! I wax my head where the hair used to be. Talk about a "polished" look...

Old 11-09-2012, 06:44 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,543,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
I love reading about people's fashion/beauty tips and advice!! I am... ah-hem, over 25, consider myself in tune with the culture and fashions of the day. I was out at the store earlier and just observing people, and also thinking about the whole idea of loooking polished, even when dressed casually. I think having eyebrows neat and shaped, and neat nails polished or unpolished are a start, even if not wearing makeup or heavy makeup which I don't usually wear. Other suggestions???

My "basics" for looking polished start with skin, hair and nails.

#1 You will never go wrong with making sure that your skin is well-moisturized and flawless. Then you can get away without using much makeup. Drink lots of water! Use a Clarisonic (or similar product) for daily light exfoliation.

#2 Keep hairstyles simple and classic (I personally prefer leaving hair long enough to do a ponytail or a chignon)

#3 Keep nails well groomed. Natural nails that are short or medium length and polished with a simple clear or nude polish...goes with any and everything plus no worries about chipping or maintaining fake nails.

#4 Teeth whitener

#5 Proper undergarments. If you need spanx, wear spanx.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:56 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,377,347 times
Thanks Guys!!! Funny Curmudgeon!!

I have been noticing eyebrows, makes a difference. SXM, I agree with the shoes and watch. But have been having trouble with earrings, they just don't seem good for me, for who knows why. I have tried studs and drops, now thinking about a thicker smallish real gold hoop type, more like the 3/th curled hoop. Yes Jade, agree with the purse, Cali - I agree about the Spanx!!

Old 11-09-2012, 07:19 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,275,926 times
Hair is important too. Absolutely zero regrowth must be visible.

The ultimate in polished is smooth, shiny hair.

I have long curly hair and if I want to look more polished I absolutely have to straighten it. It makes a huge difference.

Have it well trimmed and use products so you don't get flyaways.

A simple updo always looks professional and sleek, even a ponytail. Hair flying around is a no-no.

Keep clothes muted and classic. Spend a little bit more for items things that will not date. Try for a shell wardrobe, it will teach you how to plan your look.

Wear discreet jewellery - go for quality not quantity.

Cheap shoes and handbags are a dead giveaway. These must be the best quality you can afford.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:53 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,543,681 times
Not to make this into a big "thing" but it really is bothersome when people say that "curly" or "kinky" or "coily" hair is not polished.

I wear my hair in its naturally kinky/curly texture and I am most certainly still polished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
Hair is important too. Absolutely zero regrowth must be visible.

The ultimate in polished is smooth, shiny hair.

I have long curly hair and if I want to look more polished I absolutely have to straighten it. It makes a huge difference.

Have it well trimmed and use products so you don't get flyaways.

A simple updo always looks professional and sleek, even a ponytail. Hair flying around is a no-no.

Keep clothes muted and classic. Spend a little bit more for items things that will not date. Try for a shell wardrobe, it will teach you how to plan your look.

Wear discreet jewellery - go for quality not quantity.

Cheap shoes and handbags are a dead giveaway. These must be the best quality you can afford.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:58 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
When you're focusing on nails, don't forget your toenails. A lady absolutely NEVER has feet or toenails in rough condition. No chipped polish and NO CRACKED HEELS!

For me, makeup basics are powder, a touch of creme blush, smudged eyeliner (no stark line), mascara and lipgloss. I don't ever leave the house without "my face made."

I rarely wear a watch but I ALWAYS wear earrings and my wedding set. My ring is simple, but stunning (it's a vintage set) and I always, always keep it very clean and sparkly. I also wear simple diamond studs and I always keep them super sparkly as well.

I agree with calipoppy about curly, or kinky hair, and I also don't think you have to have long hair pulled back in a chignon or ponytail in order to look polished or sophisticated. I have short, curly hair that's thick and can be dry, so I don't wash it more than about once every four or five days. So I spritz it and scrunch it to give it life and movement every day. It's simple but I like that look.

WEAR A GOOD BRA. Most women don't wear the correct size of bra, or the best strap width for that matter. If you haven't been professionally fitted for a bra, and spent at least $40 on a terrific bra, you don't know what you're missing, or what a difference it can make in the way your clothes look!

Don't wear cheap clothes - cheap shows. Buy fewer clothes if you have to, in order to invest in quality. Go to resale shops, hit end of season sales.

I agree with others about handbags - hobo bags and bags with bling all over them and big clunky chains jingling around everywhere scream tacky to me.

Don't chew gum in public. Don't walk around with your cell phone stuck to the side of your head or glued to your palm. Make eye contact with the people actually around you - and be pleasant to them.

Walk confidently. Preferably in good shoes!

That's my etiquette lesson for the day!

Old 11-09-2012, 11:46 PM

31 posts, read 64,196 times
I am 50. Yes, I think groomed eyebrows, shorter nails and lighter make-up is the best. Pretty much some concealer, eyeliner, mascara a hint of blush and nice lips look good. I am an earrings girl. If your hair is short or up, some small hoops or fake 'ha-ha' diamond studs look good. Actually...........those types of earrings go good with any hair length. I have freckles, so foundation makes me look 'caked' and 'thick', unless it's very sheer. Plus, it won't get in the tiny lines around your lips and other areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty