Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 03:20 PM

151 posts, read 220,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i doubt depression isnt a legitimate side effect of accutane. but if you believe it is, then it may show up. people just want to find something to blame.
As much as I love some drugs like Accutane, I do believe in rare side effects. Body chemistry is very complex and many things can happen. I had some rare side effects with another drug(not accutane) and the doctor's office thought I was making them up. I happened to be one of those 3% or 1% but I was one.

I do think though that everybody should try accutane and just watch for any side effects and stop if they have unusual symptoms. I think many people are not benefiting from the drug like the could because some crazy people claim the side effects are common when they are really very rare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 03:34 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,938,904 times
Mine was the result of a hormonal imbalance. The only thing that helped me was natural progesterone (not progestin found in birth control pills). It has been amazing. I think vitex may help since it is also supposed to balance hormones. However, my understanding is that the vitex may take several weeks to work.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:03 PM

530 posts, read 1,131,060 times
When I hit around the age of 33/34 I developed cystic acne for 1-2 years. It was horrendous I could not leave my house some days, over a week one time due to the embarrassment. I did not want to take accutane due to the side effects, etc. believe me when I say this I almost tried every product, some stuff would work shortly others nothing really happened.

I was put on doxycycline for I think two weeks then minocycline (sp) I think for 2 weeks or a month that helped tremendously BUT I also quit drinking coffee and cut down on my cigarette intake by at least half of what I was smoking (trying to quit right now).

Did you have a move to a different climate, exposed to pollution, a new career that is stressful, depression, anything like that? Because for me I believe it was a combo of things one being I moved to a large city (los Angeles) that is heavily polluted in a new job, with no friends or family around, in a miserable relationship, etc. I recently ended the project in Los Angeles that I was working on and moved back home close to friends and family, got out of miserable relationship, quit drinking coffee (says coffee exasperates stress which is bad for acne), smoke way less, not in heavily polluted city and my skin is pretty much clear minus acne scars BUT no cystic acne at all, no pimples except for the little two or three that creep up on my period.

So I wash my face with
Shiseido elixir oil cleanser (if wearing makeup) then
shiseido elixir (order online)
7 day scrub (if wearing make up) yes all three if wearing makeup
Then I use those clearsasil cleansing pads Rapid Action Pads
And then I use oil of olay regenerist cream (this is one of the only creams that has not broken me out, I have tried LancĂ´me, La Mer, etc).

Also I don't eat meat, pork. I mostly just eat seafood, chicken breast, and turkey breast. I also eat a lot of organic foods, I don't drink milk only almond milk and if almond isn't available soy milk. If you love chocolate milk you have got to try the earth balance chocolate soy milk (they have it at whole foods) it is big time DELISH!!! I too loo over cheese but am cutting back.

No sodas at all. I avoid high fructose corn syrup it causes diabetes, obesity, etc. and it is so sad because a lot of stuff has it in it. I usually only drink Fiji water and one cup of green tea a day. I only drink organic all natural all real fruit juices.

Last edited by mading6; 03-16-2013 at 10:49 PM..

Old 03-17-2013, 12:21 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,149,875 times
I had the same exact problem except mine turned into cysts! Painful and ugly. Guess what I found after trying everything (oral antibiotics, creams, skin care regimen) I elimintaed dairy products from my diet!!That was it. No milk, cheese, yogurt, etc. I now drink almond milk and my ice cream is coconut based. Go to the natural food section of your grocery store. Try it for one month and see what happens. Then consume a glass of milk and you'll see the reaction. Some of us are just sensitive to dairy. And it's not the lactose and no drinking organic milk made no difference. All those years of shame and thousands of dollars spent and it was dairy.
You know how I found out? When I became vegan. My skin cleared up and it glowed! Then I added dairy. BAM! Explosion on my face. My son who is 15 has the exact same problem. I don't know what in the dairy we are sensitive to. Maybe the cow natural hormones.
Good luck

Old 03-18-2013, 01:50 PM

745 posts, read 1,649,054 times
Food does have a lot to do with it.
Some folks have a lot of problems with dairy and it is not necessarily the hormones in the milk, but their own genetic make-up.
Another Huge cause of acne is SUGAR!!!
Eliminate all sugar and food containing sugar.
Sugar can be deadly in many different ways.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:35 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
I agree with an earlier poster that mentioned that Rosacea should be ruled out! The 30's is when this skin conditions seems to make its unwelcome presence known!

I know because I have the condition (The celtic curse) - I found laser treatments very useful! Once they started to cool my face down and reduce the redness I started using low dose tretinoin cream to strengthen and thicken the skin and moisturize with a copper peptide and hyaluronic acid serum.. This has gone a looong way in helping me achieve the best skin i've had in over a decade. I constantly get complimented on my flawless skin and youthful look!

Old 04-22-2013, 04:24 PM

356 posts, read 371,321 times
Default Adult Acne Solutions

I was in the same boat. I was put on 200mg per day of Spironolactone and my acne and oily skin disappeared in 3 weeks. Spironolactone is normally used to treat high blood pressure but it works wonders on adult acne. I normally have a blood pressure on the low side, and this medication did not affect it at all. Please ask your derm about this.I've been on it for almost 3 years now and all is going great! It really is a wonder drug! DM me if you would like more info.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:12 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,057,956 times
Lipton Green Tea worked for me. Since I have picked up smoking I do get acne more often than not, so I need to quit, again. BUT consuming Lipton green tea, fresh brewed, from the tea bags DOES help my skin. Rubbing the bag on the skin doesn't work, but drinking the tea helps. Yes, it's disgusting, but it works. It takes about a week.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:00 AM

13 posts, read 9,679 times
I think procativ is a good choice but try to book an appointment to see a dermatologist, it is the only way to provide peace of mind! Proactive Reviews: Truth Revealed in 2014 - Does it Really WORK?

Old 05-25-2014, 08:31 AM

24 posts, read 38,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjones311 View Post
I'm a 35 year old female who began developing hormonal acne (jawline/chin/neck) about 4-5 years ago. My skin was never too bad before, even when I was a teenager, so this has thrown me for a huge loop. Over the years I've tried so many different treatments, and last year resorted to going to a dermatologist. She tried me on a total of 2 different oral meds and 4 different topical meds, and all of them actually made it WORSE. I've been on Aldactone on and off for the majority of that 4-5 years, and when I go off of it, my skin gets worse as well, so that's something I've been consistent about for 2 years now.

Right now, my current rundown of skincare is:

*the Simple skincare cleanser and moisturizer (no dyes, artificial perfumes, or harsh irritants)
*Mario Bedescu Buffering Lotion (works on cystic acne)
*Clarisonic
*Jane Iredale Pure Pressed mineral makeup (supposed to be the best of all mineral makeups for sensitive skin)
*occasional masks (honey/aspirin), oil cleansing method, facials
*I take Aldactone, zinc supplements, B vitamin supplements, drink water and eat a lot of fruit. I've started eating more veggies lately, too.

According to Paula's Choice, the Buffering Lotion is a POOR choice because it:

"contains a lot of alcohol, and the sulfur causes further irritation. The amount of zinc oxide may make clogged pores even worse."www.paulaschoice.com/beautypedia-skin-care-reviews/by-brand/mario-badescu/_/Buffering-Lotion

More info: www.paulaschoice.com/expert-advice/acne/

I love my Clarisonic, and I use it with Alpha Hydrox's cleanser. Beauty detox teas are great too.
La Roche-Posay Effaclar Duo is better than any $5 benzoyl peroxide in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty