Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 11:23 PM

4,208 posts, read 4,457,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
That made me recall MADTV's classic parody of Sex In The City (Sluts and the City) with Michael McDonald in her role.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 11:27 PM

15 posts, read 19,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
Dorothy Dandridge
Lena Horne
Dinah Shore
Diahann Carroll
Vanessa Williams.....
Pam Grier?

Blame Hollywood casting directors I guess.....
all those women are mixed or very light skinned

Old 05-03-2013, 12:13 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,877,109 times
Well, you tell us then?

Quote:
No. I use it to be more holistic.
Comportment by common definition is bearing, demeanor and behavior. These are great attributes which contribute to the floating subjective parameters of beauty to various beholders.

Kinesthetic is more about how the physical visual whole moves (akin to 'deportment'): fluidity of motion, muscular control, smoothness, conveying healthiness and fitness. Contrast the way, say, a member of the feline family moves versus the pachyderm family in the animal kingdom or the movement of a racehorse at Kentucky Derby (Stacey Keibler ) versus, say, a mule or plow horse.
Note, a draft horse is just as beautiful kinesthetically, just in a different way. Hence, some women can look like, say Gina Carano, Annie Thorisdottir, (fitness competitors) and be just a different type of beauty - again, within the floating parameters of beauty to various different beholders.

Part of the problem is Hollywood and mass media in todays age, tends to always show an idealized 'willowy' race horse, causing women of different body types to focus on something often unrealistic for themselves versus focusing on what to do to make themselves look their best for their inherent body type.

Someone can be well 'comported' but not healthy. Whereas, the kinesthetic is more toward visual fluid aesthetics i.e. the anthropological quest for survival - best for breeding - I think you or another poster mentioned previously.

Here's a funny clip from a classic film, The Women, showing some training at 2:30 minute mark. I particularly find the instructor most delightful.

The Women (1939): Witty Lines - YouTube

In this group I prefer Paulette Goddard (Charlie Chaplin had great taste) and Joan Crawford (started career as dancer). Note the two without 'comportment' at the 6:23 mark for laughs.

Kinesthetic beauty comes in all shapes and sizes: from petite lithe ballet dancers, figure ice skaters, sparkplug dynamos in gymnastics, solid downhill skiers, to rangy volleyball, tennis or swimmers, or just plain genetically blessed. They are all good when the person is fit and healthy for their body type and has the added comportment bearing and demeanor.

I know, a tad too much, but this is only one aspect of a woman's beauty as the intangibles aptitude , attitude really make a big difference - again, depending on what each subjective individual finds of most importance, but you asked..
Thanks for this, no it was not too much, at all.

We have this on DVD so thank you for pointing it out. I can see what you mean especially in contrast to the two at the 6:23 mark.

You are right that fitting into your skin is definitely a part of elegance. Clothes should fit well but so should your own body. If only everyone aspired for regal bearing.

Apollo's Angels is a good read and comes to mind of how the old royals and early ballet dancers (male and female) practiced something similar to what you mentioned.

During the Battle of the Nutcrackers on Ovation, one of them, forget which, had a scene where the dancers introduced themselves by walking down the stairs. I thought to myself, "that is the way to walk down the stairs!"

So graceful...

Old 05-03-2013, 12:31 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,528,943 times
Im exactly like this.
Im not particullary attractive to any of my female friends (meaning they dont think im beautiful) and men do find me beautiful or very pretty a lot.

I dont find myself beautiful most of the time, must be cause im a woman

Old 05-03-2013, 01:24 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,743,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
I think as some already said, men will often find a woman attractive if she gives off a sexy, sensual vibe, even if she's not conventionally beautiful. Men also tend to have a thing for the natural girl-next-door type, like the standard blonde look, while most women will say these girls are pretty but 'nothing special'. I knew a girl back in high school that was like that, she had a great body and was attractive but in a very 'typical' way, nothing super pretty or beautiful about her features, just kind of that wholesome girl-next-door look. All the guys thought she was a knockout and pretty much worshipped at her feet. She did love men and knew how to flirt so I think that was the main thing.
On the other hand, women have higher standards for calling someone beautiful, I know I'll only consider a woman beautiful if she really has ideal features or is extremely striking. I also like the really refined elegant look, whereas most men prefer straight-up sex appeal. My ideal of a woman is someone like Audrey Hepburn. DH agrees she's pretty, but can't understand what's SO special about her.
Funny isn't it? I'm female and I have never ever understood the Audrey Hepburn fascination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
yeh amanda seyfried is not a hit among men. another one is kat dennings
I think Amanda Seyfried is stunning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Oddly some have mentioned Jolie and Kunis in the "too skinny" category. They never struck me as thinspo material.

[/spoiler]
Angelina's weight is up and down. I think she looks awful at the thinner end of things but love to look at her when she is at a healthier weight.

I've always got a celebrity crush in one way or another based on whatever show I am "into" at the moment. Right now I think that Jessica Brown Findlay (Sybil from Downton Abbey) is the cat's pajamas:

https://www.google.com/search?q=jess...w=1920&bih=923

Before that it was Karen Gillan from Doctor Who:

https://www.google.com/search?q=kare...w=1920&bih=923

Or Gina Bellman:

https://www.google.com/search?q=gina...w=1920&bih=923

Or Eve Myles from Torchwood:

https://www.google.com/search?q=eve+...w=1920&bih=923

To get back on topic (sorta), what's really interesting to me is that my wife and I often disagree on what is "beautiful" and we are both female! Many time she is less likely to agree with me that so and so is gorgeous, she seems to be pickier. We both agree here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=tabret%20bethell&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=uA-EUeTrOIXM0AGG2IGwDQ&biw=1920&bih=923&sei=uw-EUfWUFMfv0QH39IGoAQ

I have used this quote before in this forum but I think it applies, again:

"It took me too long to realize that I don't take good pictures
'cuz I have the kind of beauty that moves..." -- Ani DiFranco, Evolve

For me, that's it in a nutshell and why I don't usually think much of models, because for a person to be beautiful/attractive to me I have to hear them speak, watch them move, get a sense of who they are if possible. Even if they are just playing a character, there has to be dimension.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:37 PM

402 posts, read 1,406,393 times
Question It's a Package Deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyribbons View Post
Women don't judge you to be that pretty but men do. What is the reason for this?
Assuming that you are talking about straight men and women . . .

Some women judge "pretty" based on your face and personality. An ugly personality can be hard to get past;
whereas, they see a beautiful person where there is a beautiful personality.

Some men judge "pretty" based on your face and body.
They see the "whole package" and often equate sexy with pretty or beautiful.

Some men have a hard time admitting that a woman is only sexy and not pretty.
Women never have trouble making a distinction between pretty and sexy.

Last edited by Justin Time; 05-03-2013 at 01:45 PM..

Old 05-03-2013, 06:31 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,601,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
yeh amanda seyfried is not a hit among men. another one is kat dennings
I agree Seyfried looks weird, but I think Kat Dennings is sexy, and I've heard plenty of other guys say the same.

Another observation: It seems to me that women tend to focus more on a woman's style/hair etc, while while men focus way more on the body.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:02 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
I agree Seyfried looks weird, but I think Kat Dennings is sexy, and I've heard plenty of other guys say the same.

Another observation: It seems to me that women tend to focus more on a woman's style/hair etc, while while men focus way more on the body.
Just googled Seyfriend. She plays the hot ditzy girl when she was younger in movies. Sounds good to me.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:46 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,734,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
What a laugh for me......I am NOT jealous OR threatened by the physical looks of ANYONE so please place your blanket statement on your side of the planet and not mine.
Chill, it seemed to me to just a fun poke at a assumed stereotype.

Have a great evening.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:20 PM

530 posts, read 1,130,926 times
Quote:
Exactly, kinesthetic beauty (how it all is put together and moves when a woman walks) will make up for a lot of other things, especially, when they possess great personality and character traits.

Some women who naturally come to mind as gorgeous(not just pretty):
Salma Hayek (funny how Michael Jordan's new wife Yvette Prieto has some resemblance to her) as does Cote De Pablo
Charlize Theron
Halle Berry
Lara Dutta (recall seeing her on a late night talk show years ago stunning articulate and intelligent)

Two others that stick in my mind from seeing only once or twice on late night talk show years ago due to their bearing and non ditzy-ness that so many of today's flavor of month model seem to have are:

Vendela Kirsebom
Daniela Pestova

The type that prompt this response a la Charles Boyer, "Come with me to the Casbah, we can make lovely music together" See Warner Brothers

The Cat's Bah (Pepe Le Pew) - YouTube

cue the old "Meow mix" cat.... meow, meow, meow, meow, meow, meow, meow, meow
Vendela and Daniela stunning beauties
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty