Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 08:22 AM

121 posts, read 164,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
Eddie Bauer: another crapshoot as far as quality goes. I ordered 2 thermal henleys in 2 different colors, one pilled, one didn't. I did get some decent quality jeans (meaning that the denim fabric was a good looking blue, not that dirty looking dark wash that's popular now) there recently, as well as several nice tank tops last summer.
I recently tried Eddie Bauer again for jeans, after buying two pairs many years ago that got all stretched out within about ten minutes of wear. I am 5'10" and need a long inseam, and at the time it was my only option.

I ordered these trouser jeans in their curvey fit - Curvy Trouser Jeans | Eddie Bauer They are really fantastic if you have a waist that's significantly smaller than your hips. I have never had a pair of jeans that fit so well. Finally, no gapping at the waistband! And the fabric seems to hold it shape well too. So far, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
I took a walk around the local mall last week. Sears, JC Penney, Belk and Dillards. Same sh*t, different store. Maybe for work or professional clothing you could find something, but for jeans and casual stuff I saw absolutely nothing that I liked and everything looked cheap.
I have always found malls to be extremely depressing. So much ugly clothing makes me sad!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 11:13 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,877,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
Those outfits are horrible. If I saw someone in either one of them, but especially the first, I'd laugh.
Really? I loved both of them, totally my style! I also love a pair of skinny jeans with a comfy t-shirt

Old 01-12-2014, 11:18 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I agree, the right stuff can be found anywhere.

**I think I am more colorful than you. I go for bright preppy.
Yes, I think so too. But I do love the look!

This is my ideal colorful outfit!

Old 01-12-2014, 02:00 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,421,534 times
I wish more women would wear stylish long skirts instead of shorts! When practical, of course. Very few people have legs we wanna see so much of...

I like skinny jeans with an oversized man-tailored shirt, worn out with a fat belt.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:22 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,909,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
I wish more women would wear stylish long skirts instead of shorts! When practical, of course. Very few people have legs we wanna see so much of...

I like skinny jeans with an oversized man-tailored shirt, worn out with a fat belt.
I just started wearing Bermudas but I never wear shorts shorter than that. I love flowy skirts on women over 40. Showing off a small waist with a skirt is a plus to wearing a fuller skirt on women of a certain age.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:39 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Yes, I think so too. But I do love the look!

This is my ideal colorful outfit!
That's cute! Red isn't my color, but I love black and white patterns with color. I typically pick a bright or dark pink or cobalt blue. Or all of them. . I love the color block look.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:08 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post

I like that look too. I personally really like skinny jeans and leggings - I have long legs so they work for me. But I always wear them with a biggish, long shirt.

A look that I love is skinny jeans, a long shirt, with a short, very nicely tailored jacket on top. I really love striped shirts with a really cute jacket over them.

I don't remember the last time I wore a skirt though. I have several of them, and when I was working full time I would wear them pretty often - my favorite look was a pencil skirt with tights and a pair of badass shoes or ankle boots. But now that I don't have to work, I don't wear that look anymore.

Except for the badass shoes - LOL.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:53 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
I like the critiques of different brands.

I agree about J. Jill. They used to have some nice styles for older type women, untrendy and flattering. Now it seems the colors are dull and the styles are lifeless. I have had trouble with them falling apart too. They are expensive for what they are.

Last year about this time I ordered a few summer crinkle cloth skirts online and one of them had a waistline that was huge. Since it had some elastic in it, I tried to take it apart but I only made it worse. This was supposed to be a L/14, J. Jill.

I'm turning into an L.L.Bean person. At least the clothes fit. With J.Jill a L/14 tank tops hangs off me but L.L. Bean in that size, fits.

For pants it's L.L.Bean because I have long legs. If you have long legs and wear most pants, you look like a clown. or actually But with L.L. Bean you have to watch the quality now--some of it is well made; some is junk. At least they make different lengths.

If I can afford it, Talbots for a dressier look.

Chico's is expensive and can be weird looking. Some people can pull that look off, I look like an idiot and feel self conscious. It is not "me".

Shoes--Ecco makes really comfortable and cute shoes. So does Naot. I will NOT ruin my feet in cheap shoes. I try them on at the store and get them on ebay to save money. Stegmann clogs are wonderful for winter because they are wool and cork--they last for years and are really comfortable. For Mary Janes I like Sam and Libby. L.L. Bean shoes are mostly junk now except for their more expensive things like their "duck" shoes for rain and their boat shoes which seem okay. Most of their shoes seem to be made in China now and the quality is poor.

I went into one of those cheap shoe stores a while back and they're vinyl shoes that were absolute junk. Walked right back out again. It's better to have a few pairs of good shoes than 20 pairs of cheap, foot-killing shoes.

I wish I could be like some of the previous posters who have that instinct for putting an outfit together but I can't do it. I just have to stick to the more classic styles and hope for the best.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:33 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,259,327 times
I never heard of J.Jill. I decided to google and check out.
I liked the items on the front page that were scrolling thru, but under further investigation, blargh. I went to the petite section, just the same repetitive oversized tops, and the petite dresses - just 3 sweater dresses, just looked like really large oversized sweater types, kinda lifeless. Scarves are kind of pretty.
I do like LL Bean, but that's because they tend to be more active, and that fits my lifestyle. My job is active, not sedentary. You can't wear business attire. And when I'm off, I'm often hiking and biking, or I'm at a sporting event. For the most part, clothing that has been posted in this thread doesn't fit 90% of my lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty