Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 01:37 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,594,747 times

Advertisements

I'm thankful my hubby of 31 years has loved me throughout all my many phases , from my youth of 18 to my childbearing years during my 20's and now my 50's.... I escape the stretch marks and cellulite but this is a body that has brought foruth life, no it was never the same as before children...

Old 01-29-2014, 01:42 PM

686 posts, read 1,232,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
Not true. All women have more fat in their bodies than men (it's what makes womens skin soft). It is
not a disorder or a flaw - it is normal. Women bodies vary, so some may have more noticeable cellulite
than others. There are very thin models with it and really due to the increase number of fat cells in
females - a woman would have to be extremely thin with no body fat what so ever not to have it.
What do you mean "not true"? Looks like you just basically agreed with what I said. Some women have it, others do not. I know quite a few women who DO NOT have cellulite. What do all of these women have in common other than not having cellulite? They all eat well (i.e., clean, healthy food) and they exercise regularly. They have body fat % that are normal to low range, but for the most part, they look like most other women save for the fact that they are not all cottage cheesy like the typical woman who posts every other facebook story about fatty, sugary, unhealthy food.

The women I know are neither "extremely thin" nor do they have "no body fat what so ever" as you say. They are just healthy, clean eating, active, athletic, sexy women who don't have cottage cheesy thighs.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:52 PM

453 posts, read 632,482 times
So that's the two women you've seen naked...

Old 01-29-2014, 02:02 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,726,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster Ave Guy View Post
Superficial men may say, 'ugh, no way' and when they do you are better off. Unless they themselves look buff and cut, the same goes for them. Beauty is both visual and invisible. The right guy will really see the value.

Stretch marks due to labor are marks of honor. They should be kissed and saluted. Just sayin....
magically, "the right guy" will be a less attractive guy.

stretch marks due to labor are an unfortunate side effect of having children. but at that point, the woman should have a husband and they both chose to have children so they deal with the consequences.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:02 PM

830 posts, read 1,539,893 times
Some of the comments on here have brought to mind the many photos of celebrities which are supposed to show how "bad" they look. Thin and fit celebrities out on morning jogs will appear to have horrible cellulite. If you really pay attention, you'll notice that most of these photos are taken in a similar sort of sunlight which somehow really accentuates any tiny indentation. In normal more diffuse light the women would look virtually cellulite-free. But, this illustrates that MOST women either have cellulite or have the ability to develop more noticeable cellulite. As others have said, cellulite is not caused by excess fat, although excess fat usually makes it look a lot worse. It's the underlying tissue structure. By a certain age, even if a woman remains thin and fit, the skin will start looking at least somewhat dimply. I noticed with great anst that right around 35 (a couple years ago) my skintone suddenly changed dramatically although my weight didn't change. I was fortunate til that point, with almost no noticeable cellulite. Then suddenly my thin thighs looked dimpled.

(Side note - skin color makes a big difference in perception of cellulite. I have extremely pale skin which burns rather than tans. If I use a sunless tanner the cellulite looks much better. You may notice at the beach that the cellulite on women with naturally darker skin or tans tends to look better than cellulite on pale white women, even if it's still there. In my experience even if the cellulite is really bad, it will ALWAYS look better than the same amount of cellulite on pale skin will look. Also, even some pale women have a more opaque look to their skin, while others (like me!) have translucent skin. The more opaque appearance, whether the skin is pale or darker, seems to make cellulite look better.)

Stretch marks... not only will women who have given birth or otherwise gained tons of weight have them, pretty much ALL women will have them. The difference is that some are noticeable, and some aren't. Women's bodies go through major changes as they move beyond puberty, developing breasts and wider hips. I was a VERY thin teenager (really too thin, had a hard time gaining weight) and I remember developing the most distressing purple stretch marks on the sides of my breasts and my hips. The good news is many years ago they faded to skin color. But if you look closely, they're still there, just as they are there for most women, even thin women. Now, I do have an hour-glass shape, which is there whether I am very thin or heavier, so I probably "expanded" more than some women do, but every woman's body goes through somewhat similar changes.

Last edited by cowbell76; 01-29-2014 at 02:10 PM..

Old 01-29-2014, 02:22 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,166,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Would men turn down an otherwise attractive woman if she has stretch marks and cellulite?
No, we'd just turn out the lights.

Seriously ladies, you are MUCH more critical of your bodies than we (men) are. We focus on what we like about your body, not what we don't like.

When I look at my wife, I'm not looking at her stretch marks - I'm looking at her eyes, her smile, her curves. I'm thinking about how soft her skin feels when I run my hands over her hips, how I love the feel of her body against me when I walk up behind her and wrap my arms around her, and how good she smells when I lean in to kiss the back of her neck.

By contrast, I think that women tend to focus on the parts of their bodies that they don't like, and overlook the things that they should be happy about.

When we're watching TV, or put in public, my wife is the one who comments "did you see the hail damage on the back of her legs?" And 9 times out of 10, I wasn't even paying attention to the woman she mentioned.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:51 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,903,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
the less attractive the man, the more cellulite and stretch marks he will tolerate. why would there be stretch marks if the woman didnt have a child?
Yes, many people get stretch marks during puberty. (I was one of those). It isn't a child birth only thing.

Old 01-29-2014, 03:36 PM

17,542 posts, read 39,166,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbell76 View Post
Some of the comments on here have brought to mind the many photos of celebrities which are supposed to show how "bad" they look. Thin and fit celebrities out on morning jogs will appear to have horrible cellulite. If you really pay attention, you'll notice that most of these photos are taken in a similar sort of sunlight which somehow really accentuates any tiny indentation. In normal more diffuse light the women would look virtually cellulite-free. But, this illustrates that MOST women either have cellulite or have the ability to develop more noticeable cellulite. As others have said, cellulite is not caused by excess fat, although excess fat usually makes it look a lot worse. It's the underlying tissue structure. By a certain age, even if a woman remains thin and fit, the skin will start looking at least somewhat dimply. I noticed with great anst that right around 35 (a couple years ago) my skintone suddenly changed dramatically although my weight didn't change. I was fortunate til that point, with almost no noticeable cellulite. Then suddenly my thin thighs looked dimpled.

(Side note - skin color makes a big difference in perception of cellulite. I have extremely pale skin which burns rather than tans. If I use a sunless tanner the cellulite looks much better. You may notice at the beach that the cellulite on women with naturally darker skin or tans tends to look better than cellulite on pale white women, even if it's still there. In my experience even if the cellulite is really bad, it will ALWAYS look better than the same amount of cellulite on pale skin will look. Also, even some pale women have a more opaque look to their skin, while others (like me!) have translucent skin. The more opaque appearance, whether the skin is pale or darker, seems to make cellulite look better.)

Stretch marks... not only will women who have given birth or otherwise gained tons of weight have them, pretty much ALL women will have them. The difference is that some are noticeable, and some aren't. Women's bodies go through major changes as they move beyond puberty, developing breasts and wider hips. I was a VERY thin teenager (really too thin, had a hard time gaining weight) and I remember developing the most distressing purple stretch marks on the sides of my breasts and my hips. The good news is many years ago they faded to skin color. But if you look closely, they're still there, just as they are there for most women, even thin women. Now, I do have an hour-glass shape, which is there whether I am very thin or heavier, so I probably "expanded" more than some women do, but every woman's body goes through somewhat similar changes.
I agree with your whole post. Definitely harsh lighting like sunlight and really bright white fluorescent lightings will really accentuate it. And it definitely looks worse on pale, thin skin than darker or tan skin. Most women do have at least some, I have had very thin young friends with plenty. At 64, I am pretty fit, but have some mostly on my inner thighs, everywhere else is pretty good.

Healthy eating, hydration, massage and exercise all help, but I don't think anything makes it go away if one is prone toward having it. Like "slowpoke" above said, keep 'em looking at the "good stuff", we all have our special assets!

Old 01-29-2014, 04:05 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,231,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chum Kiu View Post
What do you mean "not true"? Looks like you just basically agreed with what I said. Some women have it, others do not. I know quite a few women who DO NOT have cellulite. What do all of these women have in common other than not having cellulite? They all eat well (i.e., clean, healthy food) and they exercise regularly. They have body fat % that are normal to low range, but for the most part, they look like most other women save for the fact that they are not all cottage cheesy like the typical woman who posts every other facebook story about fatty, sugary, unhealthy food.

The women I know are neither "extremely thin" nor do they have "no body fat what so ever" as you say. They are just healthy, clean eating, active, athletic, sexy women who don't have cottage cheesy thighs.
Happy to hear about the healthy and sexy women you know.

Old 01-29-2014, 04:26 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,747,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
thats what i was thinking. if a woman has stretch marks from gaining/losing a lot of weight; you can be sure you are going to be in a relationship with a fatty if you stay together. so that should be considered.
Eh, not all stretch marks come from that.

My daughter is 5'10, 125lbs, not a "fatty" but she had Osgood Shlatter, and grew 8 inches in a bit over 2 years. She has faint stretch marks where her arms meet her back, and along her ribs. Not from being fat, but from shooting up so fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.