Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2014, 07:30 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times

Advertisements

I'm simply arguing against making judgement about people based on an outdated and worthless convention

To do something just for the sake of doing to not offend someone who can't even explain why they are offended is frankly stupid

You mention shaking hands and bowing - yet you pass over the etiquette of tipping your hat in public ...... that would be more akin to bowing or shaking hands as that is done when greeting .... yet you don't mention that as something that should be done as convention

Honestly, if someone takes offense about how I dress or something as trivial as how I wear a hat - I'm really not going to care too much as their opinion isn't going to be one I'm typically going to value .... I'll give them a chance to explain why it would be offensive, but when they can't I can just go about my business

Those people will simply have to accept that their precious sensibilities and being easily offended will not dictate society around them and learn to live with it

I will also defend those who people want to look down at for something as stupid as not following a convention that just doesn't apply to society today and that no one really follows completely - even those who claim to follow it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 07:34 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
I think those who wear hats inside either have lice, or untreatable/untreated dandruff, or didn't wash their hair. Wearing hats in restaurants, theaters, libraries, churches and other places like that was always allowed to women only, to preserve the beauty of their outfits and prevent women's embarassement. In someone's home, if you are a guest, you have to take you hat off, woman or not you are, otherwise, it's insult.
Yep....and also they could be bald......and have a problem with it.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:01 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,850,289 times
I don't even think I'd notice if I saw a man wearing a hat in a restaurant. Nor would I care if he did.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:06 PM

513 posts, read 737,162 times
Default I do notice when men wear hats inside,

especially restaurants (around here it's usually ballcaps). I understand in some parts of the country, a cowboy hat is worn anywhere--I don't like that either, really. It's a lack of respect in my opinion. My friend's teenage son wore a ballcap to the doctor's office and was offended when the doctor, who was examining him, asked him to remove his cap during the exam! That's just not thinking! (Same goes for sunglasses, BTW, you are supposed to meet a person's eyes when you talk to them and how can you do that with sunglasses on?! It's for security purposes, too--issues above and beyond societal convention.)

Old 02-14-2014, 01:58 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
It seems that those who obsess over men wearing hats inside are from authoritarian/conformist backgrounds. People like that scare me. People of my faith have been murdered and dispossessed by people like that, for millennia. The leaders of their religions tell them they are supposed to hate and kill us - and so they do - just because they're "supposed to". And they're "supposed to" be upset over men wearing hats indoors, or women not wearing hats here or there, or whatever... Same mentality.
I’m sorry, but it’s ludicrous to equate etiquette and social convention with religiously inspired murder.

Old 02-14-2014, 02:21 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
There was a time that chewing gum while walking down the street wasn't the actions of a gentlemen.
This is still true.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyst View Post
especially restaurants (around here it's usually ballcaps). I understand in some parts of the country, a cowboy hat is worn anywhere--I don't like that either, really. It's a lack of respect in my opinion. My friend's teenage son wore a ballcap to the doctor's office and was offended when the doctor, who was examining him, asked him to remove his cap during the exam! That's just not thinking! (Same goes for sunglasses, BTW, you are supposed to meet a person's eyes when you talk to them and how can you do that with sunglasses on?! It's for security purposes, too--issues above and beyond societal convention.)
About cowboy hats.....

At one time I showed AQHA horses.......cowboys tipped their hat to ladies and removed them when they should inside.

Old 02-14-2014, 04:01 PM

421 posts, read 676,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
That’s a huge pet peeve. What really bothers me is when men eat with a hat on. Very vulgar.
Why is that?

Old 02-14-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
Why is that?
Read the thread.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:20 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times
Personally, wearing a hat inside just feels plain weird. I almost always wear a hat outside though from October-April.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty