Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 09:44 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,810,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
How do you explain the "athletic look" that is coveted by so many men? A larger behind and wider hips is seen as a bad thing, while large boobs, washboard abs, narrower hips and a lot more muscle tone is the beauty ideal.

The same way that you'd explain the "curvy" look that is coveted by so many men.....difference in tastes. But women will judge another woman for having a "large butt" way harder than men will, contrary to the post by jgn2013. This "coveted" look that you describe is more indicative of the female ideal than the male. Go to any of the "what is your preferred body type?" threads around here and you'll see way more positive feedback about more hourglassy type women than the athletic ones you describe (but because this is a public forum, you'll see both love and hate for everything).

Personally, I prefer larger hips. And while they're out there, not many men at all like washboard abs on a woman. In fact, this "beauty ideal" that you refer to is likely more your perception than reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 10:02 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,698,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post

Personally, I prefer larger hips. And while they're out there, not many men at all like washboard abs on a woman. In fact, this "beauty ideal" that you refer to is likely more your perception than reality.
No, that's not my perception. There are plenty of men who prefer that as the ideal and then comment on how those women must be better in bed somehow. Men on CD have said it, including men IRL (and other women have noted this to me, too).

Btw, I DON'T think that's a beauty ideal.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:29 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,810,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
No, that's not my perception. There are plenty of men who prefer that as the ideal and then comment on how those women must be better in bed somehow. Men on CD have said it, including men IRL (and other women have noted this to me, too).

Btw, I DON'T think that's a beauty ideal.

I'd suggest that you browse some more of those threads, because it is by no means the majority. Women say it far more than men do.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:32 AM

262 posts, read 548,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
And ladies, enhanced breasts are gross and do nothing for this guy. Sleeping with a woman with fake boobs is like sleeping with an Alien. Keep them real please! Nothing more sensual then real breasts, perfect or not.

Do chicks with fake boobs want to be with you?

Old 04-16-2014, 07:54 AM

39,393 posts, read 27,775,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickierose20 View Post
I'm just curious? To me it seems more vulgar to like big butts because the men obsessed with it are usually more crude rude and it's annoying for me personally. I don't get why it's more acceptable for a man to judge a woman for her butt than her boobs? Why is this?
Don't worry about it. There are butt men, boobs men, legs men out there. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:01 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,875,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Very true. Most white women have been told (by white men) their entire lives that large butts are "bad."
Large butts are gross. Women today pack more butt weight than I recall a few decades ago. I guess that is why it is popular otherwise pickings would be very slim.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:28 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,698,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Large butts are gross. Women today pack more butt weight than I recall a few decades ago. I guess that is why it is popular otherwise pickings would be very slim.
I think you're misunderstanding the difference between just having a big body part and having a shapely body. When people say they like big butts, they are implying they like the shape that comes along with a curvier behind. It's about shape, and not so much the body part.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:43 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,640,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
I will take it a step further and say that up until recently on average a large portion of white women didnt have big butts to begin with. Culturally the coveted look was slim, toned, tanned, with a larger than average chest and a medium to small behind. Most white men werent really praising thicker women or women with big butts. Even now despite what is said on citydata I see far more white men with women that don't have big butts than the opposite. So culturally I definitely think that big butts are still a new thing. on the other hand as a black woman growing up being thicker was often praised and I knew far more black women trying to get thicker than those trying to lose weight. I've also noticed that Latino men tend to appreciate curves as well(and have for quite a while now). For black and Latina women I think the physical ideal is different from the ideal in white communities.
I am a latino and yes I appreciate curves and nice features on a woman, I like a woman with with a nice full figure and by full I don't mean overweight or plus size, this is nothing new in the latino race, I am 43 and ever since I can remember I have like a nice hourglass shape and a nice bubble butt, I however do not understand the whole differnt ideal for different race thing. I like certain looks on women regardless of race or color, I just don't get what race and or color have to do with anything.

Last edited by 1orlando; 04-16-2014 at 02:12 PM..

Old 04-16-2014, 12:56 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,283,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Very true. Most white women have been told (by white men) their entire lives that large butts are "bad."
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
I am a latino and yes I appreciate curves and nice features on a woman, I like a woman with with a nice full figure and by full I don't mean overweight or plus size, this is nothing new in the latino race, I am 43 and ever since I can remember I have like a nice hourglass shaoe and a nice bubblr butt, I however do not understand the whole differnt ideal for different race thing. I like certain looks on women regardless of race or color, I just don' get what race and ocolr have to do with anything.
Cultural.. In black and Latin communities being thicker or curvier had never been this bad thing and is often what is considered physically attractive. I've noticed in white culture that differs a tad bit. What would be considered thick or curvy in black/Latin communities is often fat or too big(I've noticed in white culture in general. For instance I will never forget the number of women that said beyonce had huge legs(on a mostly white forum) after beyonce had lost a ton of weight. Overall while big butts have become more of an "in" thing culturally I definitely believe that in white communities a big butt is not seen the same way or even defined the same way. Kim k is considered fat, etc. Kim k in black and Latin communities is considered thick.. That's just an example. Overall of course your ideal body type won't change even if its on a black, white, or Latin women, but culturally that body type was never seen as fat or bad. In white culture up into recently a big butt wasnt something to be proud of... Rather it meant you were fat or overweight.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:17 PM

8,634 posts, read 13,043,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
I will take it a step further and say that up until recently on average a large portion of white women didnt have big butts to begin with. Culturally the coveted look was slim, toned, tanned, with a larger than average chest and a medium to small behind. Most white men werent really praising thicker women or women with big butts. Even now despite what is said on citydata I see far more white men with women that don't have big butts than the opposite. So culturally I definitely think that big butts are still a new thing. on the other hand as a black woman growing up being thicker was often praised and I knew far more black women trying to get thicker than those trying to lose weight. I've also noticed that Latino men tend to appreciate curves as well(and have for quite a while now). For black and Latina women I think the physical ideal is different from the ideal in white communities.
Lets be honest here. It was really Black culture that paved the way for big butts being acceptable in mainstream America. I do agree that White men weren't traditionally known for praising curvy women or woman with big butts. If you look at how female beauty is portrayed in American history, it was usually a slender female who was relatively thin and not a thick female with lots of curves. Of course when the Hispanic population started growing in large numbers in the US(more specifically from the Caribbean), it only helped increased the national acceptance of woman with big butts and lots of curves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty