Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 12:53 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times

Advertisements

I used to work with a guy in the corporate world (Fortune 500 company, you've heard of it but I'll decline to name it here) who was just another cog like myself. Anyway, he arrived at work very early (around 5:00 am) in the downtown of a large metropolitan area that isn't particularly unsafe as far as such places go, but there were regular panhandlers who could sometimes be aggressively obnoxious.

This guy was ex-Air Force, a former A-10 pilot. Anyway, he wanted to pack while walking from his car to the office (the company ramp was a couple blocks away), but that would require keeping his firearm on company property.

He approached the area HR rep and asked if that would be a problem. When the HR rep finally concluded that he was serious, she asked where he planned to keep it during the day. "In my briefcase", he replied, pointing to his briefcase that he normally kept open and accessible in his cubicle. "You know, I'll just toss some papers over it - no one will ever know it's even there!".

The HR rep gently explained that corporate policy did not allow employees to pack while at work - not even if they carefully kept their weapon of choice hidden under 'some papers'.

I'm not sure precisely how he planned to keep it accessible while walking to work though (I'm all but certain he had no CCW permit back then, considering when/where this was) ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 01:04 PM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
I used to work with a guy in the corporate world (Fortune 500 company, you've heard of it but I'll decline to name it here) who was just another cog like myself. Anyway, he arrived at work very early (around 5:00 am) in the downtown of a large metropolitan area that isn't particularly unsafe as far as such places go, but there were regular panhandlers who could sometimes be aggressively obnoxious.

This guy was ex-Air Force, a former A-10 pilot. Anyway, he wanted to pack while walking from his car to the office (the company ramp was a couple blocks away), but that would require keeping his firearm on company property.

He approached the area HR rep and asked if that would be a problem. When the HR rep finally concluded that he was serious, she asked where he planned to keep it during the day. "In my briefcase", he replied, pointing to his briefcase that he normally kept open and accessible in his cubicle. "You know, I'll just toss some papers over it - no one will ever know it's even there!".

The HR rep gently explained that corporate policy did not allow employees to pack while at work - not even if they carefully kept their weapon of choice hidden under 'some papers'.

I'm not sure precisely how he planned to keep it accessible while walking to work though (I'm all but certain he had no CCW permit back then, considering when/where this was) ...
Yeah, not too many companies are going to go for carrying at work..especially now when firearms are so "bad" ... oddly enough though, my wife works for a major finanial company and carry's with approval everyday , even in the office. I was pretty shocked myself when I heard it.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:22 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,396,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I have no problems in this category, since I've never owned a gun. Where do you people go that you think you might need to kill someone? Drug deals? Back alleys in a ghetto? Terrorist training camps?
Maybe a Subway or a Papa John's?

Old 04-04-2014, 01:28 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,638,305 times
Quote:
I have no problems in this category, since I've never owned a gun. Where do you people go that you think you might need to kill someone? Drug deals? Back alleys in a ghetto? Terrorist training camps?
gas stations, restaurants, if your car breaks down on the highway and some bad people decide to attack you (highways are shared by all), if someone tries to jack your car at a stop light, if you witness a forcible felony (kidnapping, armed robbery, etc). Just to name a few.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
I live in a major city, and feel no need to carry a weapon. If I felt like my community was that dangerouse, I'd move I just don't understand the paranoia of those who feel then need a gun in their pocket at all times. I understand if you live in some remote area where there is no police protection and wild animals. but that's about it.
when seconds count the police are just minutes away... don't count on them to save you, they clean up the dead bodies afterwards almost all of the time. Would you rather be the body being cleaned up, or the living person who gets to go back to their family?

It's not paranoia. You have a fire extinguisher in your kitchen right? Are you "paranoid" that a fire will light up at any given moment 24/7, or is it tucked away somewhere, never in your conscious mind?(but it's existence is in your subconscious, ready to be brought conscious if a stimulus like fire appears). It's the same thing with a gun, you consciously forget that your even wearing it, but subconsciously it's there.

It's insurance.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:35 PM

I wear a inside the waistband holster (in the style of the crossbreed supertuck), and carry a FN-H FX-9. 17 rounds of 9mm +p hollow point, and since I have broad shoulders and a small enough waist, I can get away with concealing it. I also have a walther pps for when concealing is paramount.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:50 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
when seconds count the police are just minutes away... don't count on them to save you, they clean up the dead bodies afterwards almost all of the time. Would you rather be the body being cleaned up, or the living person who gets to go back to their family?

It's not paranoia. You have a fire extinguisher in your kitchen right? Are you "paranoid" that a fire will light up at any given moment 24/7, or is it tucked away somewhere, never in your conscious mind?(but it's existence is in your subconscious, ready to be brought conscious if a stimulus like fire appears). It's the same thing with a gun, you consciously forget that your even wearing it, but subconsciously it's there.

It's insurance.
I'll never understand. Do you keep it loaded? I mean, it would have to be wouldn't it?

One of my children can't kill someone with a fire extenguisher. With a loaded gun in the house, they could. If I keep a loaded gun in my house or on me at all times, I know the odds are much higher that that gun will be used against me than some random person breaking down my door and shooting at me or being randomly shot at in public. I use common sense and am aware of my surroundings. I don't do illegal things or hang out with shady people or do drugs. The odds of me needing to shoot and kill someone are so minimal that it's not worth the risk of owning a gun.

I served in the military and can clean an M-16 blindfolded. I'm not afraid of guns, but I'll never understand the "gun culture" people in this country.

But you may have a point about Papa Johns

Old 04-04-2014, 01:55 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Well I'm really happy for you. Not all of us can live in a utopia such as yours. I live here because this is where my career is based out of. Paranoia...none at all, I carry a firearm because a cop is too heavy..

I have smoke detector, carbon monoxide detector, and a home alarm...does having those make me paranoid that I will have a fire , CM gas leak or a break in ? I wear a seat belt when driving and would even if there wasn't a law, does that make me paranoid that I will get in a car accident ? I wear a helmet when on ATV's or snowmobiling, does that make me paranoid that I will crash ?
Apples and oranges comparison. I have all the other protections you mention, but none of them are used to kill people.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
I'll never understand. Do you keep it loaded? I mean, it would have to be wouldn't it?

One of my children can't kill someone with a fire extenguisher. With a loaded gun in the house, they could. If I keep a loaded gun in my house or on me at all times, I know the odds are much higher that that gun will be used against me than some random person breaking down my door and shooting at me or being randomly shot at in public. I use common sense and am aware of my surroundings. I don't do illegal things or hang out with shady people or do drugs. The odds of me needing to shoot and kill someone are so minimal that it's not worth the risk of owning a gun.

I served in the military and can clean an M-16 blindfolded. I'm not afraid of guns, but I'll never understand the "gun culture" people in this country.

But you may have a point about Papa Johns
When it's in it's holster on my person there's a round in the chamber. While I always carried this way before, I saw a surveillance video of a jewelry store robbery where a customer looked towards the door as the armed robbers came in, pulled his handgun and fumbled for just a couple seconds with the slide trying to get a round in the chamber. Those couple of seconds cost him his life, died right there in the store. That video confirmed it for me, always have one in the chamber when out and about.

My rule is that I always take the round out of the chamber when I get in my home, it's the first thing I do and it's become a unbreakable habit. I figure I will have enough notice to get one in the chamber when I'm at home if I ever need to, plus it means any gun in the house will always be safe (always double check anyway before I drop the hammer though). I do keep a full mag in though, the gun becomes a useless hunk of metal otherwise. Also, if you practice and are familiar with your guns it doesn't take long to rack the slide/drop the bolt, the guy in the jewelry store had some issues and looked like he wasn't familiar with his gun at all.

There are quick open safes that are child proof. It's silly to be scared of your gun, it doesn't have a mind of it's own and will not discharge a round without you putting one in the chamber and pulling the trigger. Just don't do that and you are fine. Kitchen knives are dangerous too, you have them in your house right? You just have to be careful and treat weapons with the upmost respect and teach your children to do the same.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:09 PM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Apples and oranges comparison. I have all the other protections you mention, but none of them are used to kill people.
Sure it is... just not to you. I've had firearms for over 20 years and haven't killed a single person and hope I never ever have to draw on another human or animal. I've slayed the hell out of paper targets though. And truth to be told... people kill other people.. the gun is just the tool, just like a knife, car, bomb, bare hands...whatever. You are just focusing on the gun.
It's fine that you believe your safe and that the police will be there to protect and help you. It really is , but I am going to utilize anything and everything legally possible to protect myself and my family.

And in your reply to another poster, you mentioned that if you had a loaded gun in the house your children could kill someone...well that is only if you the firearms owner was irresposible enough to leave it around were a child could get to it.
It's really just common sense, put the emotions and fear to rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty