Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 11:03 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,380,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post
Even in this thread we have examples of why Americans are on average less attractive than their European and Asian counterparts

You have people taking offense to the idea that caring about how you dress/style is somehow ridiculous because it means you become a zombie to the media.

These are likely the same frumpy out of shape women who complain that men are shallow for wanting to stare at Irina Shayk as opposed to their 200lb wives

*not that the men in the US are any better. Anyone who has traveled can tell you overseas men care about their appearances and how they dress.
I've traveled plenty, and everywhere I've been, some men care about their dress and some don't. Some are slaves to fashion and others aren't. There's a myriad of styles and degrees of 'dressed up,' that you will find world-wide and from one nation to state to city to town to neighborhood to home within.

Do you know what makes me healthy and looking so? It's not getting up a half hour earlier in the morning to fix my makeup and hair. It's getting that extra half hour of sleep so I don't need makeup to cover how worn out I look if I don't get enough sleep. It's spending 10-15 minutes in bed cuddling and chatting and sharing laughs with my family in the morning rather than stressing over picking the perfect outfit to wear. It's taking the time in the morning to prepare a healthy and freshly prepared breakfast and to pack lunches of the same manner for my family rather than trying to find matching shoes and bag to go with my perfect outfit and hair and makeup.

I am more concerned that my child is dressed appropriately to run and swing and climb and explore than to ensure he has the right labels on them. I don't care what anyone thinks of me wearing a t-shirt and shorts or track pants (all clean and not worn out) and that I have no makeup on and my hair is pulled back in a ponytail because I dared to step out of my car and go to the store to get a few groceries before going to take my dog for a walk.

I enjoy getting dressed up, looking nice, and yes, even doing my hair and makeup, but it's not a high priority as part of my every day life and living. How I live is more important to me than how strangers see me in passing having no idea of how I live the rest of my life and being clueless as to the reasons why I'm not dressed to a T with my hair and makeup perfect at all times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 11:49 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLadyLexi25 View Post
The majority of people are lazy these days and are quick to let themselves go. I strongly believe though if everyone put in a good effort in dieting, styling, and grooming most people could be at least average looking. Just look at Europe and Brazil for example, same genetics basically the only difference is they weigh less and dress better therefor look better then the average american. With the amount of european stock most people are mixed with I actually think if people got into shape we could be considered one of the best looking nations in the world. As the russian saying goes,"no such thing as an ugly women only a lazy." This of course also applies to men. What do you think?
I totally agree most people can look attractive (I'm ignoring your generalization about other cultures, etc).

And it really isn't about weight because even extremely overweight people can find decent clothing, have it ALTERED (shocking concept, I know), get their hair done, do basic grooming, make sure your girl hands don't look like brick layer man hands, etc.

It's just laziness. Let's face it even their KIDS look the same way. Filthy sneakers falling apart, shaggy mess hair, stained beat up clothing or going out in PAJAMAS etc.

You can even find an entire WARDROBE, makeup, hair crap etc on QVC and shop from home, FFS. And that INCLUDES casual clothing like jogging pants/suits that are no different than Walmart sweats comfort wise - that you see people wear every minute of the day for 7 years straight LOL. For that matter, you can even find presentable clothing IN Walmart, but it looks like crap after a few washings if you're not careful. Except the White Stag which I've bought once or twice when I had problems like getting stuck in a downpour or having a dog barf on me in my dog walking job.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 06-17-2014 at 12:00 PM..

Old 06-17-2014, 11:51 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Meh, I am the size of the "average american woman" and I still manage to find a way to dress cute most of the time.

Being put together has no size limits. There is definitely something to be said for putting some effort into your appearance. But there is no rule that says being overweight automatically means you need to dress frumpily as well.

There plenty of people who don't put much effort into their appearance at all sizes. I agree about taking some tips from "What Not to Wear." Most importantly, dress the body you have now. Not the one you had or aspire to having!

Old 06-17-2014, 12:08 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
It sounds like your perception of the 50s and 60s is based on Hollywood and Internet. Of course I can be dolled up to the T when I do not have a full time job, commute, after school activities with kids, house cleaning, cooking and trying to find a plumber.
Well I've done all those things in the past 10-20 years and don't see why they impact a choice I make when I reach into the closet to get dressed, take a shower, and get a hair cut every couple months.

It's kind of like dental care to me. Either you chose to do it or chose not to.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:24 PM

877 posts, read 1,316,648 times
Maybe it's because y'all are older or have common sense, but I'm hearing the opposite of what younger girls(teens) claim, especially plus sized girls or average girls

They often claim there are only cute clothes for skinny, anorexic girls. But part of me thinks what they mean is there are only provocative clothes for skinny girls, clothes that rarely look good on anyone

Old 06-17-2014, 12:45 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post
Maybe it's because y'all are older or have common sense, but I'm hearing the opposite of what younger girls(teens) claim, especially plus sized girls or average girls

They often claim there are only cute clothes for skinny, anorexic girls. But part of me thinks what they mean is there are only provocative clothes for skinny girls, clothes that rarely look good on anyone
There is some truth to that. You do have to look a little harder to find cute and "classy" clothing. Particularly with today's styles.

It is not impossible, but you gotta know where to look. I'd say there are far more options, with online shopping than when I was a teen. You probably don't want to start and stop at Forever 21/Wet Seal to get the right stuff.

When I was a teen (and young adult), stores like Express were a lot broader with what they carried. They carried club clothed, party clothes and work clothes. Now what they deem work isn't really all that appropriate most of the time.

Old 06-17-2014, 01:45 PM

480 posts, read 1,917,755 times
I'm a reasonably attractive guy, facially - I've been told so by many people. And I am married, so I'm not trying to "attract" any woman but my wife.

That said, as a short (5'7), overweight guy, I have a lot of disadvantages just buying clothes. Pants almost always have too high of a rise, and nothing sits on my waist because my stomach "pushes it down". I have a short inseam, and shirts that fit around my torso are usually too long to look right if not tucked in, due to my height, or lack thereof.

I'm losing some weight but that won't help my height.

And get off your high horses about being overweight. The entire WORLD outside the poorest countries is getting heavier. Food tastes good, I'm tired, never get enough sleep since my wife and I both work and kids need to be fed, clothes need to be washed, sinks need to be fixed, etc, etc, etc.

We're working on it. Until then, shouldn't a short guy have some fashion options, too?

I do have things altered but it doesn't fix the issue of the "rise" in pants. "Low rise" looks weird, and "normal" rise is usually too high.

Old 06-17-2014, 01:56 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I 100% agree. Don't people have any pride anymore? If I let myself weigh 200 pounds, never wore any makeup, and walked around in dirty sweat pants I would feel awful about myself. I don't spend hours grooming myself either, but there's definitely a happy medium. I can't people the way people go out in public these days.
That reminds me of the "pajama wearing while grocery shopping" thread were people proudly announce that this is supposed to be normal.

Never see this in any other first world countries that people get unkempt and in pajamas out of the house and think it's okay to have no pride in their appearance. My mom would have pulled me back in the house on my ponytail if I would have dared leaving the house sloppy looking or stains all over my clothes.

I spend 3 minutes on my make up and 2 on my hair every day and look very presentable. Really, it isn't much effort to look okay.

Old 06-17-2014, 01:59 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairmetal4ever View Post
Until then, shouldn't a short guy have some fashion options, too?
I do have things altered but it doesn't fix the issue of the "rise" in pants.
Tall women also need some fashion options!
At least you CAN get things altered.
Try adding a higher rise and a longer inseam.... impossible!

Old 06-17-2014, 02:07 PM

119 posts, read 300,427 times
But some people don't want to "dress up". I like wearing jeans, a tshirt and tennis shoes or sandals, sometimes a maxi dress. Heels are uncomfortable and it's so windy where I live, wearing a shorter dress is asking for trouble. I don't go out to attract others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty