Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 06:31 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,368,700 times

Advertisements

Yes, I do and I will absolutely wear them out as long as there are no holes in them. If there aren't any noticeable stains, rips, etc., there is no reason to throw them away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 07:21 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,181,999 times
I can't get a toe in any clothing from the 90s - except ONE pair of panties I have. Those panties are still holding up. OBSERVATION: my mom still has some washcloths and towels from the 70s and 80s that are still going strong. The panties I mentioned are holding up. However socks, underwear, washcloths and frequently-worn clothing BARELY last a year, especially if I bleach them.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:54 PM

41,967 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Good grief, yes. When you buy clothing that is classically styled, you can wear it for decades.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:15 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,305,026 times
Yes, I do. Quite a lot, in fact. But I don't typically buy fadd'ish stuff.

I still wear a black blazer that I bought in '90. A few dresses that will always fit in fine no matter what decade. Two "skater shirts" from Tower Records that I bought when the stores started to phase out. I wear them over light shirts as an extra layer. I could go on and onl.

And I can do better than that. In my closet is a plain cobalt-blue pullover sweater from the 80's that I still wear. No one can tell and people love the color.

I did get rid of some things that looked TOO aged, though.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:34 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,272,844 times
I still have some T-shirts from around 2005-7 that have held up well; very basic styles with short sleeves, V or crew necks and solid colors. No slogans from bygone days; just plain, comfortable shirts.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:14 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,351,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Good grief, yes. When you buy clothing that is classically styled, you can wear it for decades.
Exactly. Aside from having to takes hems up or down, I have decades old, in style suits & white dress shirts. And, many casual clothing still fits me & is in style because I mainly wear clean, straight, classic lines. I strongly dislike spending $ but love nice clothing, so I hand wash a lot & buy tailored clothing. I save summery clothes for any frivolity & faddishness because I can buy it cheaply & it probably won't be in season longer than a couple of years, when it will no doubt fall apart at the seams.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:30 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times
Why, I wore a set of leg warmers from the 80's just last week!

Of course, it was in a dance class.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:32 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Most of the clothing I currently wear is at least 20 years old and I have no reason to get anything new because I have all the clothing and shoes I need. Actually I have too many pairs of shoes and need to get rid of most of them.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:20 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,323,563 times
Darlin, I have clothes in my closet that date back 80 years or more. I have a burgundy gaberdine trench coat from the 1930s and a wool plaid jacket from the 1940s that I wear all the time. I have a gorgeous silk robe, embroidered all over that some soldier brought back from Asia during WWII. Some of my favorite sweaters are ones I bought in the 1980s. Cardigans and crew necks are classic and can be worn as long as the owner can keep the moths away. My black leather jacket was purchased in the 1990s. I wore a pair of dress shoes I bought in 1972 to a Christmas party and I'm sure nobody even noticed they were vintage.

Well-designed clothes made out of quality fabrics can be worn forever if they are properly taken care of.

Old 01-26-2015, 01:30 AM

1,935 posts, read 4,778,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Well does anyone have clothing from these decades that is still wearable without sticking out? I'm almost completely a jeans/polo/t-shirt/gym shorts/cargo shorts/sweatshirt/hoodie type of person and I don't think anything about wearing a pair of Levi's that were bought in the 90s. I also wear a lot of my brother's t-shirts from 90s. IMO, a polo is a polo as long as it fits. I have button down collar shirts from the 90s that I still wear with the sleeves rolled up. Gym shorts and hoodies never seem to go out of style. Heck, even shoes from the 90s-'00s still look ok to me (boots, sneakers (Air Max, Jordans, Pennys, etc etc etc).

When will all this stuff be too out of style to wear without looking crazy? A lot of stuff that's used to describe 70s and 80s fashion would definitely stand out. Is it just that simple clothing that isn't particularly fashionable takes a looooong time to completely look odd?

I don't think I have anything bought within the last 15 years that I'd be embarrassed to wear out.
I do, and I still wear it too. The reasoning is simple - it fits, because I'm still the same size I was 20 years ago. I have a "No Fear" shirt that I got in 1994, and that is probably my most dated piece of clothing. Of course these days it's retro-fabulous, as nobody else wears those things and you can't find them in stores. I also have one pair of Boss jeans, which are STILL too big for me (they were too big in high school also, but that's when I was self-conscious about my size even though I've never been that overweight)... I wear them occasionally, but not because of what they are... I only wear jeans occasionally. I'm a shorts man.

When will this stuff be too out of style? Don't know, don't care. Styles change often because if they didn't, apparel companies wouldn't sell as much clothing. They HAVE to change styles or else the world would be full of people like me who wear their clothing until it is so worn out that it is no longer serviceable (perish the thought!). Wait long enough and your old clothing will be stylish again. When I was in high school, one trend I remember was bell bottoms. That means it took approximately 20 years for bell bottoms to cycle... they were popular in the late 1970's, then again in the late 1990's. With that type of turnaround, I predict that they'll come back into fashion again in another 2-3 years. Maybe I'll even see No Fear shirts make a resurgence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty