Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2016, 05:56 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,872,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Some guys hardly lose any attractiveness points from mild balding. Then again, that includes almost all men who look okay with shaved heads.

Anyway, my understanding is that sparse-looking hair in back almost never happens after a transplant. Either the hair is plucked one by one from such a big area that nobody notices or a chunk of the scalp (with the desired hair) is cut out and the surrounding area is sewn together, much like removal of a typical skin growth.

You have to loose 80% of the hair in a given region before hair loss is visible. They could take 50% of the hair from the back of your head and it wouldn't look any different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 07:33 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,037,971 times
I started balding from a young age, it was tough, now I keep my hair cropped short. A couple of weeks ago I found a photograph of me when I had a full head of hair and I showed my work colleagues, just about EVERY one of them said they thought I looked better without the hair! In fact I can honestly say I had better luck with women after losing hair (but don't tell the Mrs!) :-D

Old 08-29-2016, 10:55 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,888,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
You have to loose 80% of the hair in a given region before hair loss is visible. They could take 50% of the hair from the back of your head and it wouldn't look any different.
80% gone until visibility doesn't make sense. I think it's 50%, and I think with wet hair it would be noticeable even before that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1385 View Post
I am a little confused.

If you get a transplant, will that hair eventually fall out as well?
It shouldn't.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:49 PM

20 posts, read 15,521 times
So the new hair will just be there forever? It doesn't suffer the same male pattern baldness that the regular hair does?

I haven't read this whole thread but I am hoping to get transplant in the next 2-3 years. I have miniaturization all around my head but am not bald yet.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:58 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,105,963 times
Quote:
So the new hair will just be there forever? It doesn't suffer the same male pattern baldness that the regular hair does?

I haven't read this whole thread but I am hoping to get transplant in the next 2-3 years. I have miniaturization all around my head but am not bald yet.
The transplanted hairs from around the sides and back of your head are the ones that for whatever reason don't respond to dihydrotestosterone. They should last the rest of your life.

I didn't read all the way back - in the meantime are you on minoxidil and Rogaine? These are the two treatments that have actually gone through double-blind tests and have actually been *proven* to work (at least on some men). Minoxidil blocks the enzyme that turns testosterone into DHT, Rogaine encourages the hair to spend more time growing and less in the "resting" phase of growth, the mechanism for Rogaine is not well understood.

There are some anecdotal accounts that Nizoral shampoo tends to help with retarding hair loss, but no scientific studies have been done to support that. I guess you need to shampoo anyway so might as well try the Nizoral.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:

All around your head? That's unusual for a man. I think a doctor would be concerned that those hairs would keep dying no matter where they are placed. If I were you, I would get a thorough medical exam (starting with a family doctor, I guess).

Old 08-30-2016, 07:05 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,663,264 times
A friend of mine got plugs, spent about $10,000 on them. He also uses minoxidil and has to use it every day for the rest of his life or he goes back to where he was.

What does he look like? A guy with thinning hair.

Hard to see how it was worth it.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:17 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,872,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
80% gone until visibility doesn't make sense. I think it's 50%, and I think with wet hair it would be noticeable even before that.
Well thats the fact. It'll feel thinner but 25% of your original air thickness is enough to give sufficient coverage.

Old 08-30-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
Well thats the fact. It'll feel thinner but 25% of your original air thickness is enough to give sufficient coverage.
No, it's not a fact.
"50% Of A Man’s Hair Is Gone Before It Becomes Noticeable"
Top 10 hair loss facts every man should know | HIS Hair Clinic

I was about to rip into you, but then I realized you're not arguing against hair transplants. And I guess 25% coverage might satisfy some people, but I personally wouldn't be okay with that.

Old 08-30-2016, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
A friend of mine got plugs, spent about $10,000 on them. He also uses minoxidil and has to use it every day for the rest of his life or he goes back to where he was.

What does he look like? A guy with thinning hair.

Hard to see how it was worth it.
Did it make him happier? Then yes, probably. I don't know what his hair looks like or if he overpaid. I assume his hair would look significantly worse if he had done nothing. Some men look good despite a little thinning in front or at the crown and I think most men with a lot of hair loss don't expect to get all their hair back - but it's basically impossible to look good at the Dave Matthews level. Also, I haven't overlooked the sly use of "plugs." I doubt his hair looks fake, because this isn't the 1980's. How about not shaming men for doing something likely to benefit them? This thread continues to be the biggest orgy of bogus claims and insinuations that I've ever seen outside of deliberate scams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty