Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2015, 04:22 AM

898 posts, read 1,219,775 times

Advertisements

i will be 40 next year and have about 90% of my hair left over from my youth, just minor hair loss from aging. that being said, i likely won't go bald but if i did, i 100% would get a hair transplant. as it is, i get botox routinely. i look about age 25, not kidding. my collagen on my face hasn't quite yet broken down and all that cheekfat is keeping me looking young. that and avoid the sun like the plague along with good diet and exercise and sleep. the sun will really age you.

looking young means i have better job opportunities than older people (and on average, a full or moderate head of hair makes a man look 10 years younger compared to without), i date younger girls (a girl or woman my age at 39 actually looks a lot older than me so even visually it doesn't feel right), and i still feel young. how you look has a clear impact on how you feel. if you don't want to believe that, you are lying to yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 05:28 AM

750 posts, read 644,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post
i will be 40 next year and have about 90% of my hair left over from my youth, just minor hair loss from aging. that being said, i likely won't go bald but if i did, i 100% would get a hair transplant. as it is, i get botox routinely. i look about age 25, not kidding. my collagen on my face hasn't quite yet broken down and all that cheekfat is keeping me looking young. that and avoid the sun like the plague along with good diet and exercise and sleep. the sun will really age you.

looking young means i have better job opportunities than older people (and on average, a full or moderate head of hair makes a man look 10 years younger compared to without), i date younger girls (a girl or woman my age at 39 actually looks a lot older than me so even visually it doesn't feel right), and i still feel young. how you look has a clear impact on how you feel. if you don't want to believe that, you are lying to yourself.
How one looks is subjective.

Old 04-06-2015, 05:31 AM

750 posts, read 644,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onefair View Post
So will I but thankfully my hair grows rapidly and is very thick. My brother keeps winding saying I will loose it but I think I have my maternal grandfathers hair.

All these men shave it off once it starts coming out but why? Hair is important to me and I just could not cope.
You would be surprise how well you could cope.

I have sex with a lot more women bald than I did with a full head of hair. Confidence and personality go along way.

Hair is 1 million times more important for a woman.

Men can cope just fine with a shaved head once they get over their insecurities.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:39 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,414,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makalinksi View Post

You're barking up the wrong tree trying to find some "truth" in getting folks to agree with you that hair equates to attractiveness in a man. It's fully subjective. It varies based on individual opinion.

The only truth here is that you're unable to see you're a victim of your own opinion, and that your opinion is holding you prisoner and making you miserable. If you were a female, you wouldn't be concerned with the subject either, because you would have long lists of both hairy and hairless men that you find attractive.
Exactly.

As a woman, there is no one type I'm attracted to. I've been attracted to men with hair and men without hair. There have been a surprisingly significant number of men without hair on TV that made me do a double take.

I don't watch Dancing With The Stars much, but several years ago there was a young bald guy competing whose name I don't remember. Not only was he one of the best dancers I've ever seen, but he looked so amazing with no hair that I could not imagine him with hair! He had the perfect face for it.

I'm just not invested in hair - I'm invested in overall attractiveness. Some guys end up looking better with hair and some end up looking better without it.

Anyway, this whole "hair transplant" thing is going to seem really old fashioned soon. Not only do you have laser methods that stimulate hair growth without surgery, but Latisse (the stuff that grows eyelashes) is currently being tested for hair growth on the head.

Between those two products, I can't imagine anyone opting for surgery when they can just grow their own hair back.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:53 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,888,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beebar View Post
Is there hair transplant for Africa-America man? I think only white men can get hair transplant
I was pondering the implications of that. I've heard black men can get hair transplants, but it's more technically difficult. Plus, I've never heard of a black man publicly admitting he had a hair transplant. That leads me to believe that, more so than other races, many black men don't realize transplantation is a feasible option.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDALLOKUYA View Post
You would be surprise how well you could cope.

I have sex with a lot more women bald than I did with a full head of hair. Confidence and personality go along way.

Hair is 1 million times more important for a woman.

Men can cope just fine with a shaved head once they get over their insecurities.
Most of them. The rest of it, like the bulk of the rest of your posts, is full of falsehoods, and I like to crusade for truth almost whenever my knowledge is strong.

I'll skip all falsehoods except the one about subjective physical attractiveness that has been spewed several times in this thread. People need to accept that it's mostly objective.
Physical attractiveness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I do think men's hair is an underestimated contributor, but I can't prove its value and obviously face and body matter greatly.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
I'm 55 and have a patch of thinning hair. Really what happens is partly aging, or partly medical issues (for me I take thyroid medicine to keep my thyroid level stable, and that can cause hair to fall out or thin).

The fact is that this happens g-r-a-d-u-a-l-l-y. So...I will probably not consider shaving my entire scalp until I happen to be aware that one half of my scalp is gone already. But I'm not there. I'm far from there.

The gradualism is a great metaphor to a lot of things in life. Like the gradual erosion of our freedoms that most of us allowed. But I won't get into that.

Gradualism to baldness is the reason why we don't do anything about it.
I think that is a big reason. But many people don't realize how much attractiveness they've lost over time, just like the people who slowly get fat. Also, I think it's a dangerous approach because there seem to be a tipping point of hair loss at which transplantation might no longer work well or be affordable (at least per the recommended number of 'grafts' to transplant) and also a tipping point at which hair loss becomes obvious and unattractive. Then some of those men panic and maybe get lousy-looking transplants.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Exactly.

As a woman, there is no one type I'm attracted to. I've been attracted to men with hair and men without hair. There have been a surprisingly significant number of men without hair on TV that made me do a double take.

I don't watch Dancing With The Stars much, but several years ago there was a young bald guy competing whose name I don't remember. Not only was he one of the best dancers I've ever seen, but he looked so amazing with no hair that I could not imagine him with hair! He had the perfect face for it.

I'm just not invested in hair - I'm invested in overall attractiveness. Some guys end up looking better with hair and some end up looking better without it.

Anyway, this whole "hair transplant" thing is going to seem really old fashioned soon. Not only do you have laser methods that stimulate hair growth without surgery, but Latisse (the stuff that grows eyelashes) is currently being tested for hair growth on the head.

Between those two products, I can't imagine anyone opting for surgery when they can just grow their own hair back.
Joey Lawrence (on Dancing with the Stars in 2006)? Look at pictures of him with hair. Still waiting for a famous example of a man who looked better without his hair (not counting hairstyles some people might find stupid).

Re growing hair back, I suppose that is a reason some men put off getting hair transplants. False hope springs eternal, I say. If those two methods (or anything else) could regrow most hair, it would be all over forums such as this. It wouldn't surprise me if ability to regrow long-lost hair doesn't happen within any of our lifetimes.

Old 04-06-2015, 05:26 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,722,651 times
Hair transplants are like fake lawns.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:34 PM

898 posts, read 1,219,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDALLOKUYA View Post
How one looks is subjective.
yes but being bald vs. not being bald is not subjective. there is an objective visual difference. also, a full head of hair is associated with youth. baldness isn't no matter how you try to spin it.

also speaking of hair transplants, let's cut right to the superstar of them all - tom cruise. this guy doesn't have transplants but does a large variety of hairpieces/wigs like john travolta. in mi ghost protocol, he has the hair of a 20 year old college kid high on natural testosterone and the bliss of youth: a thick full head of hair with zero white or grey hairs as seen in the thumbnail below. now in mi rogue nation, we see the same thing. a tremendous mane (especially when he is tied and hanging with his naked chest showing as seen in the trailer). if tom were bald, you bet he would look 10 years older or even more. also i noticed he has cheek filler - restylane? - in his cheeks but that's another topic.
Attached Thumbnails
Why Don't More Men Get Hair Transplants?-.jpg  

Last edited by Hairy Guy; 04-06-2015 at 08:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty