Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2015, 05:10 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,233,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Classic City-Data, where people's words get distorted and anger is like a sport. This thread is about why more men don't get hair transplants; the focus should stay on that.

With that, I saw Tom Ford on TV yesterday. His hairline looked a little weird to me, like it's thick transplanted hairs. And still he looked good. It made me realize that some people can get away with fake-looking hair, and if hair looks fake, there's usually some way to fix or disguise it (even if someone runs out of hair to move around). I'm more convinced than ever that fear of an ugly or unnatural result shouldn't dissuade someone from a hair transplant; it will look better than being significantly bald.
Classic City-Data, where evading the question and attributing false motives to the person asking the question is like a sport.

My question to you was an response to the reasoning you gave for why men should get hair transplants, followed with my own answer to the question posed by the thread topic. So my post was in fact focused on the thread topic.

So what's your answer to my response, or do you have one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 09:50 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,887,429 times
I can't answer the question - it made little sense. I'm not the kind of person to which it seemed directed, and evidently it was based on misreading my post in a negative way.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:30 PM

Quote:
I can't answer the question - it made little sense. I'm not the kind of person to which it seemed directed, and evidently it was based on misreading my post in a negative way.
It was a direct challenge to your own reasoning. The line from Point A to Point B couldn't be any shorter or more direct.

Still confused?

Old 03-31-2015, 12:17 AM

I can only guess it's some implication that promoting hair transplants promotes a superficial mindset. Which isn't really true, because unlike breast implants for instance, transplantation is purely restorative, often not even to an impressive degree. Furthermore, whatever, because I doubt any men pass on hair transplants for philosophical reasons. My observation is that whenever someone depicts getting a cosmetic procedure as beneath him or her, that person probably is lying and trying to claim some sort of enlightened status.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:31 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,414,702 times
Quote:

Classic City-Data, where people's words get distorted and anger is like a sport.
I don't think anyone here is distorting your words. Your contempt for bald men is crystal clear.

Old 03-31-2015, 01:04 AM

Quote:
I can only guess it's some implication. . .
It's not just an implication. It's a direct challenge to your appeal to vanity.

Quote:
. . . that promoting hair transplants promotes a superficial mindset . . .
It does. Especially when your primary purpose is to appease other peoples' superficiality.

Quote:
Furthermore, whatever, because I doubt any men pass on hair transplants for philosophical reasons. My observation is that whenever someone depicts getting a cosmetic procedure as beneath him or her, that person probably is lying and trying to claim some sort of enlightened status.
Unless maybe I were a television or film celebrity whose career depended on maintaining a youthful appearance, I wouldn't undergo hair transplants if the procedure were free and guaranteed to look 100% natural. In fact sometimes I wish it would all just fall out tomorrow so it would be over and done with already so I don't have to keep evolving my hair style to fit whatever's left. It has nothing to do with "philosophy" or a claim to some "enlightened status." It has everything to do with being comfortable enough with oneself to let a harmless, natural process take its course as one ages.

Old 03-31-2015, 01:21 AM

18,531 posts, read 18,765,230 times
Im female but think that if I was a man losing my hair at a young age Id hate it.. and feel for men in this postion.. but not all want hair transplants and arent they very expensive too.. were living now in a fake world where nothing is accepted as we are... Im not saying a wee nip and tuck might make me feel better but doubt Id ever go for that type of help... many do and thats fine... but havent we now become obsessed with youth and changing ourselves too much.. Men to me are more sure of their appearance than women in the main... they can still stand at a bar with their beer bellies sticking out and still manage to eye up a passing young thing as if they have a chance hahaha. you know what I mean ..

Old 03-31-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
It's not just an implication. It's a direct challenge to your appeal to vanity.

It does. Especially when your primary purpose is to appease other peoples' superficiality.

Unless maybe I were a television or film celebrity whose career depended on maintaining a youthful appearance, I wouldn't undergo hair transplants if the procedure were free and guaranteed to look 100% natural. In fact sometimes I wish it would all just fall out tomorrow so it would be over and done with already so I don't have to keep evolving my hair style to fit whatever's left. It has nothing to do with "philosophy" or a claim to some "enlightened status." It has everything to do with being comfortable enough with oneself to let a harmless, natural process take its course as one ages.
Now I understand - but my agreement is limited to the ideas that styling balding hair is unpleasant and more superficiality is bad. Disturbingly, male trial lawyers and politicians also seem to benefit from having most of their hair. With politicians, it's been evident for decades. In fact, thousands of years before hair transplants, ancient Greeks and Egyptians rued about hair loss, and for many stretches of history, professional men often wore wigs. I'd liken hair loss to developing jowls; it's almost inevitable but nevertheless nothing to be proud of. I have never heard of men outside a few professions (also include modeling) getting hair transplants to appease others. Most men do it because they dislike it and, sometimes, think it will improve their chances in dating/mating. Short answer: there's an innate dislike of balding in many people; and I see no evidence that promotion of hair transplants by me or anyone else has any more impact on social superficiality than my personal opinion of balding men.

Old 04-04-2015, 01:10 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,462,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
i love my shaved head, looks bad ass, and low maint, now thats what I like.....low maint.....
How is it low maintenance to have to shave your head every day to keep it nice and smooth?

Speaking as a woman, when I see a man with an obviously shaved head, I think he is very vain because he spends a lot of time in front of a mirror.

Sorry, but it's not a look most of my friends and I favor, especially if the man has what we call the "upside down" look, which is no hair on top and yet a grungy, unkempt "five o'clock shadow" face or a goatee or beard.

Yes, a man who shaves his face does it in front of a mirror, too, but it takes far less time to shave the face, and the result is a smooth-feel against my cheek.

Old 04-04-2015, 01:17 PM

Quicker than drying hair and combing/brushing/etc., I guess - but still shaving personally sounds like a nuisance to me. A buzz-cut every few days sounds easy to me. For a rare few guys, often black or Latino, with the right facial structure, aggressive hair-loss genetics, etc., I think letting the hair disappear isn't a bad choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty