Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 03:07 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenchili View Post
Grey is a color,and its natural. When women say their natural color what do they mean? LOL I just
think some women try too hard to look young,and its really fooling no one!
Following this theory one shouldn't moisturize either - you're fooling no one.

Or wear youthful clothes - ditto.

It's NOT about "fooling" anyone - its about general appearance.

If you colour your hair, chances are you have been doing it for a very long time, for very good reasons.

Me, going grey at 18 just wasn't going to happen.

Nowdays I have about 50% more grey on the right hand side - if I grew it out i'd look like half of me had been left in the sun or something.

Also, I am fair. I have pale skin, pale green eyes - if I go grey I will look ENTIRELY grey.

Don't get me wrong, I do want to grey naturally one day - but then I look at say, Cher or Joan Collins and think "hmmm....maybe not"

At the end of the day, everyone does what they think makes them look their best - and if your best is to be the same colour palette you were at birth, I have no problem with that at all.

Also, one question - how do you think Dr Phil's wife would look if she grew out her grey? Would she look as stunning as she does now, or would she instantly become his mother?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 03:13 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,762,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenchili View Post
Grey is a color,and its natural. When women say their natural color what do they mean? LOL I just
think some women try too hard to look young,and its really fooling no one!
I was not born with grey hair. It is therefore not my natural color. Coloring your hair won't make you look 21 but I have zero desire to look older than I am. I'm not trying to fool anyone. I started coloring my hair at 26 because I had so much grey that my hair was salt and pepper. I personally think it ages most women to go grey BUT people should do what's comfortable for them. I will say my hair color has gotten lighter (from it's original very dark brown) as I've gotten older. I'm now a medium brown with red highlights. I get a lot of compliments on it. IMO this color is much more flattering on me than grey hair would ever be.

Old 06-22-2015, 03:15 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,023,642 times
the problem with growing your hair out especially if you have dark hair is the roots. it's difficult to go around for months and months with 3 inches of grey hair and the bottom half brown. this I think is the reason many women don't even bother to try. doing blond highlights was the only thing that saved me from looking too terrible but there was still a bit of the root line showing just not as noticeable which helps a lot with the transition.

Old 06-22-2015, 03:18 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,978 times
It's like women who have grey hair think they are superior somehow.

Also, before they go judging others, perhaps they should try a bit of colour themselves? They might understand the pull of not looking like your own grandmother?

Old 06-22-2015, 03:20 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Yep. Having lighter colored hair to begin with makes the transition a lot less jarring.

Old 06-22-2015, 05:16 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sansea View Post
There are brightening shampoos that help the hair become shiny-bright white.
My favorite is Phytargent Whitening Shampoo. I wash once with it. Then wash again, and leave it on for 10 minutes.
I do this about once a week... the rest of the time I use regular shampoo.
The results are honestly amazing.

I went grey early, and after coloring once, decided never again.
Just curious sansea: where do you buy Phytargent Whitening Shampoo? And where did you hear about it?

Thanks!

Old 06-22-2015, 05:19 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
It's like women who have grey hair think they are superior somehow.

Also, before they go judging others, perhaps they should try a bit of colour themselves? They might understand the pull of not looking like your own grandmother?
No judgment meant here. I have colored my hair, but not in a long time. I did decide that for me it wasn't worth it in time or money. I would want my hair to have a top notch color job, which I know costs money, and you do it multiple times a year. When I noticed someone I knew walking outside, I noted how the uncolored crown of her head had grown out in a mottled gray circle. I knew then that I never, never would want that look!

I talked to my former stylist about costs, and I learned that for many women the costs amount to several thousand dollars per year. This is a price I am not willing to pay.

But others may not be in the same position.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:28 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,023,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
No judgment meant here. I have colored my hair, but not in a long time. I did decide that for me it wasn't worth it in time or money. I would want my hair to have a top notch color job, which I know costs money, and you do it multiple times a year. When I noticed someone I knew walking outside, I noted how the uncolored crown of her head had grown out in a mottled gray circle. I knew then that I never, never would want that look!

I talked to my former stylist about costs, and I learned that for many women the costs amount to several thousand dollars per year. This is a price I am not willing to pay.

But others may not be in the same position.

I always went to good salons and had good hair stylist. I think you can get all over single color process done once every 6 to 8 weeks and or a highlight for 150 bucks give or take, depending on your area. which would amount to far less then several thousands of dollars. I think my overall expenditure for the year ran more in the neighborhood of 6 to 700 bucks a year.

it would also depend on how often you had to do it, which is one reason why I switched from a single color to a blonde highlight, the grow out was not nearly as noticeable as fast and gave me 2 extra weeks.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:04 PM

8,177 posts, read 6,925,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
Much wisdom here!

My hairstylist convinced me to the let silver out....this was about five years ago. I'm glad he did!
This isn't "old" looking.

//www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1434981434

Very pretty!! I like it a lot.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:23 PM

6,589 posts, read 4,975,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Then this post wasn't directed at you, if you are comfortable with how you look.

Jeans and sweatshirts? Never. Too hot here for that. It's shorts and tank tops.
You are right! Shorts and tank tops for summer I do have to wear jeans all summer fior one job, it stinks

Last edited by WouldLoveTo; 06-22-2015 at 07:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty