Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2015, 01:21 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,244,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBlue View Post
I'm with you, otter. What's WRONG with women anyway? Are we somehow defective that we have to constantly strive to be thinner, younger, tighter, perkier, flawless, amazing, stunning, more fit, more tan?! As if our only value in life can come from being painted up like little dolls, ornaments that are pretty to look at whose purpose in life is to be eye candy for men?

So while men spend their free time doing what they consider fun, interesting, challenging: hobbies, sports, adventure, whatever; many women spend their free time at the gym, at the plastic surgeons being sucked, tucked and injected; at the spa, hair salon, nail salon. In a tanning bed changing our color. Getting waxed, colored, bleached, plucked, PERFECTED because obviously we just are not good enough the way we are. And a woman who goes against the societal norm must be:
A Femi-Nazi
A Lesbian
Someone who's given up who hates men, hates herself, is depressed and just plain pathetic.

While men, shower, shave, brush their teeth, comb their hair and are done! Poof!

This video is a humorous, yet truthful example of the difference:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/candacelowry...et#.umx4bgqBN2

Thusly proving my point that those who don't colour feel themselves somehow superior.

I don't feel INFERIOR because I choose to primp and preen.

If you look at the natural world you will "get" that Females are generally different to Males.

Women have painted their lips and coloured their hair since we were in the caves. IT IS NATURAL AND THEREFORE NOT "WRONG".

I see no one else here attacking others, calling them lesbians etc, because they DONT colour or preen.

I see YOU attacking them because they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 01:23 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
Oh, gosh; don't even get me started on artificially straightening your naturally curly hair (or vice versa), LOL...

Old 06-26-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
"Overall I do it because it makes me feel good about myself..."

I really don't mean to beat this dead horse, well, to death, but again... Would you feel BAD about yourself if your hair were left natural? If so, why? The message seems to be that there's something wrong with it, and I'm (unsuccessfully) arguing that there isn't. It makes you feel GOOD to dye it because, obviously, you perceive something BAD in not dying it (you'd feel old, unattractive, frumpy, etc.)...

As for Clinton, remember that she wasn't exactly a "dish" even in her 20s!

At any rate, different strokes; it's still a free country, thank goodness. I just try to be cognizant of what motivates me to do things before I do them. "The unexamined life is not worth living."
I'm going out on a limb here but -

when you leave the house, do you do so in sackcloth?

Do you have uncombed hair? No? Why not? ITS NATURAL?

I'm assuming you don't want to be judged by the same standards you are using to judge the rest of us?

Old 06-26-2015, 01:24 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,937 times
Quote:
So we shouldn't buy into it, either, and then there wouldn't be a market for this stuff. But we do, so there is. And most are too inculcated to even see it.
Same reason you see adds for medications, Best Hospital, Dental Care, Cancer Treatments, diabetes , asthma other preventive measures to improve ones lack of health, provide a better quality of life ... Some need it, some don't.. Same with many beauty products and treatments ...

You need ask yourself why someone doing something for themselves that makes them feel better plus using their own funds upset you so?

If you had true freedom in what you held, this matter would not touch such a deep nerve within! ...

Old 06-26-2015, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Oh, gosh; don't even get me started on artificially straightening your naturally curly hair (or vice versa), LOL...
Yo.

YOU live with it. It's a freaking nightmare if I don't style it.

If I don't style and straighten my hair, it is not uncommon to FIND things in it. Spare hair ties, clips, maybe a twig or two from my walk.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:28 PM

Most days, I do only what men do (although I'm neither gay nor transgendered); basic hygiene and grooming. For fancy occasions, I'll do the hair up in a "do" and use a little makeup, wear fancy duds. But I don't allow my appearance to dominate my finances, schedule, or psyche. I have better things to do. If it strikes a chord with me, it's because I wonder what else women could be doing with their time, money, and psychic energy. And so should we all wonder! And I hate Madison Avenue manipulation of the masses, whether it's grooming products, health care (I despise drug commercials), or anything else we don't need" but are brainwashed into thinking we need. I don't lose sleep over it, however.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:32 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
As a single working mum I could justify neither the time nor the expense to get my roots done every 3 weeks by a professional, so I learnt to do it myself.

I get the proper colour and peroxide, mix it up myself.

I only do the roots, about an inch.

It takes me about 10 minutes where it would take the hairdresser a half hour. I am also a lot tidier, I have had professionals leave colour all over my ears and face before.

I wash it out, straighten it, and I have a gorgeous shiny chestnut crowning glory, just like I always had.

Ladies, DIY!!!! ITS SO MUCH EASIER and far cheaper, Ive calculated it costs me less than $3 when I do it myself.

As a former stay at home mom/wife for over 30 years I use do it all myself as well... Until a few years ago, we help put our daughter through beauty college a few years back, she been very grateful, so she does mine and hubby hair for free or as she said for life... I just pay 10.00 for the organic color she needs buy from the place of business she work with but otherwise it's free cuts , etc... Very true roots touch up are easier and cheaper...Than allover coloring done by a professional...Plus the daughter fast, she done within an hour , color and cut!

Old 06-26-2015, 01:35 PM

I go to Justcuts for the cut, I simply do not have a high opinion of expensive salons.

I went about 3 months ago, on the theory they'd tidy up the colour and do a seriously good haircut.

I had to finish it myself at home, 'when I washed and went to style I found she'd left a huge chunk dangling through my fringe uncut, DESPITE costing me over $100 without even a blow dry.

Ugh I hate wasting money.

I even do my own streaks now. My hair looks better than it ever has.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Most days, I do only what men do (although I'm neither gay nor transgendered); basic hygiene and grooming. For fancy occasions, I'll do the hair up in a "do" and use a little makeup, wear fancy duds. But I don't allow my appearance to dominate my finances, schedule, or psyche. I have better things to do. If it strikes a chord with me, it's because I wonder what else women could be doing with their time, money, and psychic energy. And so should we all wonder! And I hate Madison Avenue manipulation of the masses, whether it's grooming products, health care (I despise drug commercials), or anything else we don't need" but are brainwashed into thinking we need. I don't lose sleep over it, however.
Good for you.

Me, I don't want to go through life looking like Bruce Jenner preop.

I enjoy makeup, hair, fashion - always have, always will, and it doesn't make me shallow or somehow lesser.

A lot of men are grooming now too, to the point of waxing and regular cosmetic wear, what's the judgement on them?

Old 06-26-2015, 01:41 PM

I guess I was blessed with a natural, outdoorsy-type beauty. Granted, it's fading a bit these days! I may have to revisit this idea. But most women are naturally more beautiful -- and certainly more acceptable -- than they give themselves credit for, IMO. Men who waste money on superficial nonsense are equally silly... I don't discriminate in my judgment, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty