Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2015, 05:39 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,253,010 times

Advertisements

I was told that at Dry Cleaners you have the option of dry cleaning (which is expensive) or laundry (which is much cheaper but same quality cleaning), is this true?

How much do you pay to get a dress shirt cleaned at a Dry Cleaners?

Just wondering about this because this could get expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 06:10 PM

22,603 posts, read 47,707,443 times
DH never got a dress shirt dry cleaned. They are washed by me!

Why do you want yours dry cleaned?

Old 08-09-2015, 06:13 PM

29,750 posts, read 34,415,700 times
What does the label on the shirt say? Some labels say "dry clean only"; some labels say "do not dry clean." Follow the directions.

Old 08-09-2015, 06:25 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,397,853 times
I try not to dry clean much - bad for he environment and my wallet.

If it has to be drycleaned - we have a couple $2 - $2.50 an article places by us (have to prepay and use the circular coupon) . We travel to Hawaii frequently so the main thing that gets dry cleaned are silk Hawaiian shirts.

Delicate stuff I hand wash, and lightly steam if needed. Husband's cotton dress shirts are washed and ironed by me, others are machine washed on cold and hung to dry.

I've asked him to pay more attention to fabric content and care when shopping....

Old 08-09-2015, 07:11 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,889,091 times
The difference is that dry cleaning washes your shirt in chemicals, and laundry washes it with water. You can have your laundered shirt starched, which will help it look fresh and crisp longer. The starch is a liquid added to the rinse, not a spray starch like you'd use at home, and you usually can choose heavy or regular starch. Heavy starch is good if you want your shirt very stiff...some men who work outdoors in dress shirts (like a contractor or engineer) or who plan to wear the shirt several times before having it laundered will choose to have heavy starch, but regular starch is good for most people. Laundering a shirt is harder on the buttons than dry cleaning it, because of the shirt press. Most dry cleaners will replace broken shirt buttons at no cost to you, because they know the buttons get broken during the laundry process.

The only dress shirts that should be dry cleaned are silk or otherwise delicate shirts. If a shirt has shell buttons, it should be dry cleaned and you should ask the dry cleaner to cover the buttons with foil.

If you're going to be sweating in a shirt, it should be laundered if possible. Dry cleaning doesn't get odors out quite as well as laundry. Also, if you have oily skin, have your dress shirts laundered and ask for the collars to be pre-treated. That will look much better over time.

You should also take the plastic dry cleaning bags off your clothes and let them air out in the garage before you bring them into the house, if possible. You don't need to do this for laundered items.

Old 08-09-2015, 07:15 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
I don't buy anything but wash and wear, so they don't even need ironing, but I see several dry cleaners in the are with sings that say "Shirts 99 cents". I used to know a guy in the business, and he said they use it as a loss leader, hoping you will bring in suits, ties, and women's dresses with the shirts.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:51 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,786,698 times
Most around me charge 1.50 to 3 bucks per item with a few 99c places.

...and what Hedgehog_Mom said.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:04 PM

898 posts, read 1,219,775 times
i pay 1.75 per dress shirt (the button up kind) for wash and press. this is not dry clean. it is washed in a machine and then ironed. i am in brooklyn. manhattan will be more expensive. for this reason i only wear tshirts. i wear button up dress shirts when i have to impress a girl. that's it. i won't even wear one to a job interview. i will wear an old navy collared golf shirt for $5, but for girls? oh yeah, i will dress up. anyway, i hate paying so much to wash one article that can be used a few times max. with tshirts, i wash about 10 in a laundry machine for $2.75 and i am done.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:12 PM

22,603 posts, read 47,707,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post
i hate paying so much to wash one article that can be used a few times max. with tshirts, i wash about 10 in a laundry machine for $2.75 and i am done.
First off, dress shirts can be used far more than "a few times max".
Secondly, many dress shirts are wrinkle free, so they can look great using washer/dryer, just like your t-shirts. For the same $2.75.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty