Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 02:15 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,209,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffaNYC View Post
I hope that one day you gain a massive amount of weight, from something that is out of your control (medical issues, for one thing), and that someone shows you the same compassion, kindness, and sensitivity that you show others who are overweight. I hope you have to experience the same appalling cruelty you show others who are overweight. When you do, please remember this conversation, and know I'm laughing. I have no tolerance for fat-phobes. People like you have serious issues, and you repulse me with your lack of human decency. I won't even bother to respond to anything else you say--you don't deserve one more second of my efforts. I cannot FATHOM being SO SHALLOW. It's unreal.
lol you know gaining weight from medical issues or "something out of your control" is legitimate for only like 5-10% of all cases of obesity, right? and wishing massive weight gain on someone else is totally messed up. are you some kind of sadist? typical angry overweight projection(no pun intended). you seem like you could use a snickers, or 60 of them....

the other 90% of the time it is making excuses and failing to take personal responsibility. and these people pass it on to their kids, because they're fat too. and they can always blame their parents. its all about passing the buck. why don't we all just blame Obama for our fatness??? if its not that its the thyroid, or gluten, or the food that is laced with something making them fat. the list of excuses never ends. kids, husband doesn't love me, I am depressed, I work all the time, dancing with the stars is on, wah wah wah.

you want me to show compassion and sensitivity for people that are overweight? i'll do that when they start showing some compassion and sensitivity for the higher medical premiums that everyone else needs to pay because their preventable gluttony is putting a drain on the medical system!

Old 08-27-2015, 02:19 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soUlwounD View Post
Thinner Beauty's Project Harpoon Facebook page Photoshops plus size people slim | Daily Mail Online

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...9995473483.jpg

and the other pictures

Leave fat and normal weighted people alone, this is like different hardcore religion supporters attacking on the other side. Maybe next war is not a religion war but fat against anorexic

Wow, if the overweight people on the left could see how pretty they could be if they lay off the chips they might put in more effort, eat an apple instead and hit the gym.

Old 08-27-2015, 03:45 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,234,127 times
Yikes. I will never support applauding or attempting to normalize obesity, but "fat-shaming" is just plain cruel.

Old 08-27-2015, 04:45 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times
Quote:
I hope that one day you gain a massive amount of weight, from something that is out of your control (medical issues, for one thing), and that someone shows you the same compassion, kindness, and sensitivity that you show others who are overweight. I hope you have to experience the same appalling cruelty you show others who are overweight. When you do, please remember this conversation, and know I'm laughing. I have no tolerance for fat-phobes. People like you have serious issues, and you repulse me with your lack of human decency. I won't even bother to respond to anything else you say--you don't deserve one more second of my efforts. I cannot FATHOM being SO SHALLOW. It's unreal.
I can appreciate the passion but I stop short at wishing bad on someone else. Some people are just never going to make an effort to see a matter from any perspective but their own. If you think about it, every last one of us is probably guilty of this in some manner or another. Unfortunately a lot of people still relish the idea of fat shaming. It's a demographic that is still okay to openly ridicule. And such ridicule is more often than not a product of ignorance. Still, just like weight is a personal choice some make, so too is ignorance. And while I don't understand the appeal to being ignorant, I respect one's decision to be so.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:42 PM

607 posts, read 602,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I can appreciate the passion but I stop short at wishing bad on someone else. Some people are just never going to make an effort to see a matter from any perspective but their own. If you think about it, every last one of us is probably guilty of this in some manner or another. Unfortunately a lot of people still relish the idea of fat shaming. It's a demographic that is still okay to openly ridicule. And such ridicule is more often than not a product of ignorance. Still, just like weight is a personal choice some make, so too is ignorance. And while I don't understand the appeal to being ignorant, I respect one's decision to be so.
The only reason I said that is because for someone to be so willfully and smugly ignorant and downright cruel about this issue is enraging, and more than that, really sad. The people who are fat-shaming and saying that all fat people are lazy slobs--they should count their lucky stars that they have not endured a horrific medical situation or trauma that has caused weight gain against their will. For those people - you NEVER KNOW what could happen to change your life. Things can happen that you never fathomed or dreamed of, that turn your world upside down, that leave you broken and helpless against physical/medical changes. For you to be so confident and say that you'll "NEVER GAIN WEIGHT" because you're "not a lazy slob" -- let's hope you don't go through something like what I'm talking about--because you'll have to eat your words (no pun intended).

If you cruel and heartless people had endured anything like what I'm talking about, you would never be so disgustingly nasty and lacking compassion for other human beings. You act like fat people are inferior to you, and you couldn't be more wrong. YOU ARE INFERIOR because of the way you're treating another human being. THAT speaks VOLUMES about your character and the kind of person you are. For all you people guilty of treating fat people like they're less than human, or talking about them like they are--like they don't deserve decency and respect--you are horrible people, and you're worse than the fat people you so obviously hate (with no good reason). It's despicable.

God forbid you EVER have anything happen to you that turns your world upside down. You think you're so in control, but let me tell you--things happen in life that you don't expect and can never prepare for. You better be careful being so smugly and grossly ignorant and arrogant. You NEVER know what life will throw at you--you are not 100% in control like you would like to believe.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:25 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,100,522 times
I know an obese woman who is only in her 20s but she gasps for air after climbing one flight of stairs and grunts in her sleep. It looks like she is being choked by her own fat. I think it is a damn shame that she did this to herself and continues to eat enough for 3 people. How long can a person in that condition live? She is almost certain to develop more serious health problems and will most likely die young.

Obesity reminds me of cigarette smoking. A slow form of suicide. Call it fat shaming, but in the end obese people will suffer and everyone else will pay for their self indulgence. That truly is a shame.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:20 PM

4,566 posts, read 5,421,205 times
Quote:
I hope that one day you gain a massive amount of weight, from something that is out of your control (medical issues, for one thing), and that someone shows you the same compassion, kindness, and sensitivity that you show others who are overweight. I hope you have to experience the same appalling cruelty you show others who are overweight.
Harsh and over the top. Wishing something bad to happen to another person is pretty low. I understand you probably typed this more from EMOTIONS than intellect as you were feeling angered/bothered/upset about what some were saying, but hoping and wishing bad things on other is just wrong.

Quote:
The only reason I said that is because for someone to be so willfully and smugly ignorant and downright cruel about this issue is enraging, and more than that, really sad. The people who are fat-shaming and saying that all fat people are lazy slobs--they should count their lucky stars that they have not endured a horrific medical situation or trauma that has caused weight gain against their will. For those people - you NEVER KNOW what could happen to change your life. Things can happen that you never fathomed or dreamed of, that turn your world upside down, that leave you broken and helpless against physical/medical changes. For you to be so confident and say that you'll "NEVER GAIN WEIGHT" because you're "not a lazy slob" -- let's hope you don't go through something like what I'm talking about--because you'll have to eat your words (no pun intended).

If you cruel and heartless people had endured anything like what I'm talking about, you would never be so disgustingly nasty and lacking compassion for other human beings. You act like fat people are inferior to you, and you couldn't be more wrong. YOU ARE INFERIOR because of the way you're treating another human being. THAT speaks VOLUMES about your character and the kind of person you are. For all you people guilty of treating fat people like they're less than human, or talking about them like they are--like they don't deserve decency and respect--you are horrible people, and you're worse than the fat people you so obviously hate (with no good reason). It's despicable.

God forbid you EVER have anything happen to you that turns your world upside down. You think you're so in control, but let me tell you--things happen in life that you don't expect and can never prepare for. You better be careful being so smugly and grossly ignorant and arrogant. You NEVER know what life will throw at you--you are not 100% in control like you would like to believe.
Geez. We get it. Think you can tone it down a notch or two. For more than 20+ years Ive worked with and trained people who were obese helping them to better themselves by losing weight, improving their health, fitness and providing them with tools to overcome many of the obstacles/barriers (many of which they created themselves) that they faced in life. Do you know how many were obese/fat because of medical issues? NONE!!! ZERO!!! NADA!!! ZILCH!! Some developed medical issues because of their obesity, but they did not become obese due to medical issues. There is a difference. They were all obese as a direct result of poor nutritional intake and lack of exercise. Some had mental issues where they turned to food the same way an alcoholic turns to alcohol - to deal with problems. I think those I have trained over the years would look at the articles/pics in the OP and not be so offended by them. Most would not be offended.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:01 PM

607 posts, read 602,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Harsh and over the top. Wishing something bad to happen to another person is pretty low. I understand you probably typed this more from EMOTIONS than intellect as you were feeling angered/bothered/upset about what some were saying, but hoping and wishing bad things on other is just wrong.
I'M harsh?!? Have you read what those people have said about fat people? It is NO WORSE than the callous attitudes of the other members to which I was speaking. They have ZERO compassion, tolerance, or sensitivity - they are being downright nasty and undeservedly mean. What I said is no worse than their astounding shallowness and cruelness towards overweight people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Geez. We get it. Think you can tone it down a notch or two. For more than 20+ years Ive worked with and trained people who were obese helping them to better themselves by losing weight, improving their health, fitness and providing them with tools to overcome many of the obstacles/barriers (many of which they created themselves) that they faced in life. Do you know how many were obese/fat because of medical issues? NONE!!! ZERO!!! NADA!!! ZILCH!! Some developed medical issues because of their obesity, but they did not become obese due to medical issues. There is a difference. They were all obese as a direct result of poor nutritional intake and lack of exercise. Some had mental issues where they turned to food the same way an alcoholic turns to alcohol - to deal with problems. I think those I have trained over the years would look at the articles/pics in the OP and not be so offended by them. Most would not be offended.
I know that a good percentage of people who are overweight are that way due to their lifestyles, and not because of medical issues. I'm not going to go into detail, because it's personal, but just know that things happen which you can never prepare for, as I said before--things that can turn your world upside down and leave you completely f-ed up, and that can include weight gain.

I just wish people would be kind, because you never know what someone has gone through. But asking people to be kind is, sadly, too much to expect. I'm just glad I don't suffer from a lack of compassion and kindness and human decency like the people in this thread. I can't imagine being that kind of person. What if it was your sister, or mother, or father, that someone said that about? Wouldn't that hurt you? The way people talk about fat people, as if they are a lesser species, just sickens me and makes my heart hurt. It's just sad that people don't care how much they could hurt another person--I'm sure, though, that they don't care, because it's "just a fat slob."

Old 08-28-2015, 12:24 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
lol you know gaining weight from medical issues or "something out of your control" is legitimate for only like 5-10% of all cases of obesity, right? and wishing massive weight gain on someone else is totally messed up. are you some kind of sadist? typical angry overweight projection(no pun intended). you seem like you could use a snickers, or 60 of them....

the other 90% of the time it is making excuses and failing to take personal responsibility. and these people pass it on to their kids, because they're fat too. and they can always blame their parents. its all about passing the buck. why don't we all just blame Obama for our fatness??? if its not that its the thyroid, or gluten, or the food that is laced with something making them fat. the list of excuses never ends. kids, husband doesn't love me, I am depressed, I work all the time, dancing with the stars is on, wah wah wah.

you want me to show compassion and sensitivity for people that are overweight? i'll do that when they start showing some compassion and sensitivity for the higher medical premiums that everyone else needs to pay because their preventable gluttony is putting a drain on the medical system!
Statistics, please?

People who are morbidly obese (and not just "needs to lose 15-20 lbs" types) do not just get that way on a lark most of the time. Nor are they all "lazy."

Common sense outta tell you that much.

What person in their right mind CHOOSES to be huge? Out of breath from walking across a room. Unable to find clothes that fit. Ostracized by most of society, either quietly or as harshly as the immature basement-dwellers on 4chan. Who'd subject themselves to all that mess on purpose unless they were mentally and/or physically unwell?

I bet your 5-10% number is more likely the number who actually are willfully obese, yet have no physical or mental health problem driving their obesity.

Old 08-28-2015, 12:28 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Yikes. I will never support applauding or attempting to normalize obesity, but "fat-shaming" is just plain cruel.
I agree.

I'm all for normalizing "there are a range of healthy weights and body types." I do not think people know this anymore.

That said, I'm not gonna support normalizing obesity any more than I'm going to be shaming obese people. The former is unsafe and the latter is cruel.

People who pick on obese individuals have some screws loose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty