Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 06:54 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,847,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post

Idk if this "you're eating too much" parenting is generational or what, but I strongly suspect that it was the norm in the past and then went the way of the girdle. I guess my point is that the simple patenting style of gently pointing out to kids that they are "eating too much" should probably be done more often than it is and might help them maintain a healthy weight as adults.

Bring back some nonjudgmental "honesty" in parenting and stop the coddling.

Of course it doesn't help that kids aren't even able to walk down the street alone nowadays but that's a whole other topic....
You're right, but I think what also "went the way of the girdle" was kids growing up eating normal-portion meals made mostly of fresh, whole foods -- no prepackaged, processed foods, no fast food -- which means kids having to eat things they often DON'T want to eat (eww, broccoli!). This, of course, requires parents who stick to their guns and make their kids eat the healthier foods. Too many parents cater to their kids' eating whims and allow them to eat whatever they want; and kids being kids, will usually make unhealthy choices.

Kids need guidance to choose food wisely, not parents who don't want to do the hard work of instilling healthy eating habits.

Old 08-28-2015, 07:28 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,238,153 times
Quote:
What bothers me iz that when I was undeweight, I got snide comments from fat and overweight people DAILY! Like "ypu look aweful!" And "you need a hamburger!" And yet I knew u was not "allowed" to say back to them "and YOU need to stop eating hamburgers!" Which I would only want to say out of anger because how dare they!! I really don't care how many burgers they eat.

Body shaming goes both ways. Maybe online it is more fat shaming, but IRL, anyone too thin gets accusations of "anorexia" and society as a whole is totally fine with that!! It's like if people are somehow secretly envious, it's OK to make fun of you to make themselves feel better??!!

And BTW, I am also thin with HUGE BREASTS!! You would think that once you enter your 30s, that fellow females would stop making snide comments like "he's probably just looking at you because of your breasts" or "breast are only fat ya know." (No kidding! )

Other women ARE THE WORSE to other women!

Let's accept ALL body images and STOP THIS BS!!!!!
Yup, same here. And all of the "eat a cheeseburger" comments did nothing but perpetuate my eating disorders because in my mind recovery = fat.

Old 08-28-2015, 07:39 AM

4,566 posts, read 5,426,907 times
Quote:

But I gotta say, I was mostly raised by a woman born in the 1920s. She had no problem telling me if she thought I was overeating or gaining weight. I think parents don't do this nowadays for fear of not being "accepting." But if anything forced me personally to have "food issues" it was my mother MAKING me eat certain foods I didn't like so that I just wouldn't eat or would throw most away when she wasn't looking.

I'm grateful that my grandmother made her benign comments because it probably helped keep me thin as a kid. Everyone I know who was fat as a kid always goes back to fat. Idk if that is their "healthy" range or not but I see it too much for it to be a coincidence.

Idk if this "you're eating too much" parenting is generational or what, but I strongly suspect that it was the norm in the past and then went the way of the girdle. I guess my point is that the simple patenting style of gently pointing out to kids that they are "eating too much" should probably be done more often than it is and might help them maintain a healthy weight as adults.

Bring back some nonjudgmental "honesty" in parenting and stop the coddling.

Of course it doesn't help that kids aren't even able to walk down the street alone nowadays but that's a whole other topic....
Yes yes yes YES YES!!!! This is another thing I have always said in that the overwhelming majority of obese people, they became that way due to actions (or inactions) of the parent. I've worked with enough people over the years to come to the conclusion that it is NOT just do to genetics, its mainly due to behavioral issues that were ingrained in them when they were children. I think their refusal to change behavior is why many people use the term "lazy" when talking about them.

Parents play a major role in first stage of becoming obese. You are absolutely right in that parents MUST say "NO, you have had enough" and "NO, you cannot have [insert whatever sweet sugary food here]". It baffles my mind how parents can allow their kids to eat certain things. Some do it just to appease the kid with "Oh, it makes her happy so I let her have doughnuts so she'd stop crying and begging for them". Or parents do it because they think they enjoyed it when they were kids, so they want to give their child the same "experience' with "Oh we've always loved eating smores after dinner when I was a kid, so I want her to have the same experience". This to me is stupid and is just setting the kid up on the wrong foot to begin her life.

My daughter is 7 years old and has never had soda or bubble gum, doesnt like birthday cake because of too much sugar, and some of her favorite foods are raw spinach, broccoli and celery. She has an awareness of what foods are unhealthy and she wont eat them. This is something that was taught to her by us (her parents). Kids absolutely need this.

The second stage usually starts in mid teen years when they have learned either in school, or now on the internet what to eat, what NOT to eat, and how to be healthy, but still refuse to do anything about it. They keep eating chips, breads, soda, etc. but still complain and say "I really want to lose weight". I can totally see how people can refer to them as "lazy" because they have all the knowledge, but just wont act on it. They fall back on the "my depression" or "it makes me feel happy to eat this" excuses. The people who actually do something about their health/weight are some of the most amazing and inspiring people I have ever met.

You are absolutely right in that the parents MUST take a more active role in teaching kids about health and nutrition and refuse to give in to whining or big sad eyes when they cry for some unhealthy crap food.

Old 08-28-2015, 07:45 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,216,042 times
The average woman needs like 1,200 calories a day or so depending on activity level. These ladies are most likely eating 5 to 6 times that amount.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:05 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,529,721 times
If you really feel the need to insult somebody for their appearance, it says more about your own flaws in character than it does about their flaws in appearance. Body shape and weight issues are personal, and if you decide to change that, they can be fixed. Too many people aren't even aware of their character flaws, even if they were, not sure they could change them. As far as the image of the perfect body, that's media driven, marketers know the psychology of making you remember their product. Images of perfect women will be in ads to men and visa versa, you're more likely to stare at the picture or come back to it, the trick is subtle, but effective.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:34 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,880,725 times
Why do people get the idea that mocking and shaming other people is good in any way for anyone no matter what size, shape, color, height, style, mannerisms, accent, whatever???

It doesn't matter if someone's fat, skinny, tall, short, has a big nose, has beady eyes, has frizzy hair, has weird toes or anything! No one should be making fun of other people.

THAT is the problem. The lack of empathy, understanding and basic tact in the world is disgusting.

People need to grow up, use their brains for something worthwhile and stop being so superficial.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:54 AM

774 posts, read 745,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Southpaw View Post
I think "Harpoon" since it DOES conjure up images of whales is a perfect name for that website. I mean come on, that woman on the left is whalish looking. How do women let themselves get that huge? I just don't get it. This whole thing of digital harpooning is just another example of supply and demand: if there weren't a ton (forgive the pun!) of overweight women who are too lazy to get in shape but want the easy way out, the digital remake, then the site wouldn't be thriving. Which it sounds like it is. And we don't know its creator is a nerdy virgin type--he is just as likely--or more so--to be a shrewd businessman and maybe he gets more a$$ than a rental car. I find it telling and ironic you accuse him and others of attacking tubby women and then you go and personally attack him.
Or am I wrong and this is NOT hypocrisy? Just curious. thanks.
Wow, you're pretty sharp to make that connection between harpoon and whales. Funny how you don't call out all of the men that are "too lazy to get in shape". Do you actually think that the woman in the thread asked him to photo shop her thinner? Um, no. She's a very successful model. As for your question regarding why "women let themselves get that huge?". You assume much including that it's any of your business.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
The average woman needs like 1,200 calories a day or so depending on activity level. These ladies are most likely eating 5 to 6 times that amount.
How does that concern you? Are they stealing your food?

Old 08-28-2015, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
STOP attacking my rights to have type II diabetes and contribute a heavier burden to the already overburdened health care system!!! NOM NOM Donuts burritos NOM NOM.
Yeah, go ahead and hide behind the "health care system" as your excuse to try to make yourself feel better by mocking other people that are none of your concern.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:14 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,230,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
I think this is the key to everything right here.
I don't even understand how someone can get to the point of finding other people disgusting or actually HATING them because they're bigger. Hating people by how they look...

As Eleanor Roosevelt said, "Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
Also, I won't gain a massive amount of weight because I'm active and not a lazy slob searching for excuses on why I can't maintain a healthy body
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
For more than 20+ years Ive worked with and trained people who were obese helping them to better themselves by losing weight, improving their health, fitness and providing them with tools to overcome many of the obstacles/barriers (many of which they created themselves) that they faced in life. Do you know how many were obese/fat because of medical issues? NONE!!! ZERO!!! NADA!!! ZILCH!! Some developed medical issues because of their obesity, but they did not become obese due to medical issues. There is a difference. They were all obese as a direct result of poor nutritional intake and lack of exercise. Some had mental issues where they turned to food the same way an alcoholic turns to alcohol - to deal with problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
where were these pre-existing health conditions 40 years ago? oh is it hereditary? man, that older generation musta had some awful genes, now the subsequent generation can't fit into theirs!
maybe the higher medical premiums will be a trade-off for me looking more attractive to the opposite sex in comparison to 70% of those others.
Going back several decades in comparison to today, we have made significant advances in treatments
for health conditions. If this was available, my father wouldn't have died at the age of 41 (btw, lifestyle
and weight had nothing to do with his death).
Genetics and aging do play an important role and of course the type of lifestyle choices each one of us
has. But I am not one to judge another person on their weight since there are many other reasons
why someone may be overweight (and how many pounds does that mean).
As others have mentioned losing weight can be a problem that wasn't due to laziness or over-eating.
Ask any doctor.
Medical Causes of Obesity
Can Prescription Drugs Cause Weight Gain?

Is gaining weight inevitable as we age? - The Globe and Mail
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty