Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 02:01 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,116,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Afternoon weddings are considered less formal...a cocktail dress with perhaps a light jacket would be great for the wedding and then remove the jacket to show a bit more skin for the reception.
The OP just said she wasn't ready for the dress with jacket thing.

OP, after the MOB and MOG get their dresses, ask the bride what she'd like for your to wear as far as color and length and follow those guidelines.

Also, go with a neckline and cut you are comfortable with. Fitted would look great on you so budget for alterations.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 02:31 PM

24,124 posts, read 32,498,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
It's formal as in big church wedding, lots of attendants, formal dresses on attendants, etc. My husband will be in the wedding party as FoB, giving her away, and my little boy (bride's half brother) is the ring-bearer, so he'll be in a tux as long as we can get him in it!

I know that no one will care what I wear, but I'll be in the family wedding pictures so I want to look nice and appropriate. What do you suggest? Links to examples are welcome .

btw....Not sure what her colors are going to be, but she's leaning strongly toward lavender if they can find bridesmaid dresses they like in that color.
What a joyful occasion! It is so nice that your stepdaughter has included your son in the wedding.

I think your dress should coordinate with the color of the bridal party. I am not a fan of "mother of the bride" dresses.

I would wear a simple silk (or other fabric) sheath dress. Timeless and stylish. You can wear strappy sandals with that to dress it up a bit . Perhaps silver would go well with lavender. Or crystal encrusted sandals. If you would rather a closed toe shoe, you can go with nude pumps, or one's with a little zing.

Add a strand of pearls and you are a classic! A little lace, or glittering embellishments are fine - you needn't fade into the woodwork. However, I am not a fan of black in the bride's family, or black lace over nude - anywhere.

This is a tad dressier than simple - but I think it's lovely and perfect

http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main/...&bmUID=l8W4IwZ

In fact, Aidan Mattox has many appropriate dresses at Saks. I wore one to the weddings of a relative, recently.

And another not close in color, but the style I am suggesting. Reviews state that it is comfortable, figure revealing without being sexy -

http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main/...&bmUID=l8WBN5F

Last edited by sheena12; 01-13-2016 at 03:13 PM..

Old 01-13-2016, 02:38 PM

1,038 posts, read 903,232 times
Quote:
It's formal as in big church wedding, lots of attendants, formal dresses on attendants, etc. My husband will be in the wedding party as FoB, giving her away, and my little boy (bride's half brother) is the ring-bearer, so he'll be in a tux as long as we can get him in it!

I know that no one will care what I wear, but I'll be in the family wedding pictures so I want to look nice and appropriate. What do you suggest? Links to examples are welcome .

btw....Not sure what her colors are going to be, but she's leaning strongly toward lavender if they can find bridesmaid dresses they like in that color.

Beige and mostly covered up - an elegant simple dress is perfect.

Champagne

Oyster

silver grey

Pale pink or baby blue or even a deeper blue

all appropriate, all will blend nicely with lavender

The rule here is to NOT STAND OUT in any way but blend into the background so no décolletage, riotous prints, clashing colours, mini skirts or killer heels.

Its the Brides Day

Old 01-13-2016, 02:52 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,536,679 times
What month will this afternoon wedding be held in?

Old 01-13-2016, 03:48 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,303,017 times
Wedding is in September (I know...a ways off). So, calendar says Fall but here in the South, temperatures will still say "summer". I have lots of time to find something, but it's fun to plan & discuss

She's decided (I think....the girl is very indecisive...takes after her dad!) to go with deep purple and silver for colors.

I can NOT wear silver or light gray. Horrible with my coloring. I have a feeling the MoB will choose a silver/pale gray dress anyway, and that's fine with me. MoG....she kind of reminds me of Rosanna-Rosanna-Danna from oldddd Saturday Night Live! LOL. There is seriously NO telling what she will show up in!

I look best in pastels or deep jewel tones (emerald green, sapphire blue or navy, plum, etc.)

Old 01-13-2016, 03:54 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmockingbird View Post
Go neutral, and tailored rather than slinky -- even if you have a figure that 'could' go slinky.

It's not just about what looks good on you, but it establishes a social role, that of the senior generation to the new couple. Tailored, neutral, respectable and responsible.

If the couple and their attendants are going with lavender, you could consider a darker shade of the same color, such as eggplant.

I would avoid any costume jewelry, but proudly wear precious metal and -stone heritage and heirloom pieces.

Always bear in mind that you are the backdrop, the sturdy and responsible (if elegant) person behind the scenes. You should be noticeable only at second glance at this performance, but that second glance should draw the eye to your high quality tailoring and your confident willingness to present yourself as the 'quiet' member of the production by choosing 'sedate' over 'flashy'.

Always make sure that you are comfortable in the dress by wearing it out and about a few times, such as to a luncheon date or out shopping, before the big event so that you will instinctively know how the dress fits and settles when you sit down, things like that. Then if it needs let out or taken in, you will have time to get it altered well before the wedding!
I think this is good advice. In my opinion a lace covered cocktail dress is too much for this event. I would wear fine clothing though, and I totally agree about wearing your best fine jewelry. You probably will do this, but I also recommend peerless grooming and a beautiful hair do. But even though you might want beautiful high heeled shoes, I recommend shoes that are comfortable, inasmuch as that is possible for this event. You'll be standing a lot, I think.

Old 01-13-2016, 06:11 PM

251 posts, read 246,587 times
After reviewing this thread, I would say in my opinion there are some nice dresses posted, however, I would add a word of caution to not wear a dress that could in any way, by color association, appear too close to the bridal dress. A few of the dresses posted that are long, lace, and light colored are way too close for comfort to a bridal color in my opinion and could be perceived potentially wrong by some guests that you may be trying to appear too "bridal" on someone else's day. Just my two cents. Good luck!

Old 01-13-2016, 07:08 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,057,812 times
I'm going to throw my $.02 in and vote for wearing a long gown. If the mother's of the bride and groom are going formal with full length gowns and your husband is wearing a tux you don't want to stick out as someone who does not match the formalness of the occasion.

I have been thanked by brides for dressing up and matching the occasion. I know your planning a nice shorter dress but if it looks cocktail or even tea length you may be showing disrespect to the bride if your seated with your husband as part of the bridal party and/or included in the pictures.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:31 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,303,017 times
Thanks for all the input. I'll find out what the moms are wearing & dress accordingly. And don't worry, I won't wear anything pale enough that it could in any way be considered trying to compete.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:38 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,324,858 times
Quote:
Here are a few that I like. What do you think?

this one comes in a lot of color choices:
Tadashi Shoji Embroidered Lace Sheath Dress (Regular & Petite) | Nordstrom

Adrianna Papell Metallic Lace Sheath Dress | Nordstrom
Oh, wow! We picked a lot of the same designers. I bolded the ones that I liked from your picks. If I were you, I'd consider either
this dress (Pisarro Nights Beaded Mesh Cocktail Dress) or this other dress (Tadashi Shoji Embellished Metallic Lace Sheath Dress).

Other suggestions:
Adrianna Papell Lace Fit & Flare Dress in Hunter

Adrianna Papell Lace Fit & Flare Dress in Cerise

Tadashi Shoji Lace Overlay Dress in Navy/Nude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty