Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2016, 04:54 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Now this I don't understand - something close to your body you wear a couple of times but jeans you wear only once - are you a construction worker or do some sort of manual labor where your jeans get dirty? Do you go commando? Oh No - now someone will start another thread asking "do you go commando"?
The only time I ever put jeans in the laundry after a single wearing is if something actually gets spilled on them, or they get muddy or grass stained or similar.

The whole "If I wore it once, it's dirty," thing is not something I subscribe to. Sometimes, yes. Mostly, no. With the exception of underwear and attire worn for manual labor/messy jobs. I find that washing clothing only when truly needed helps extend the life of clothes. Having an infant, I find myself having to do MUCH more wash-after-a-single-wearing, especially with shirts, due to spitup. It's not my norm, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 05:00 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
I throw the bra du jour in the laundry after one wearing. For the price I pay for them, I really don't demand much in return. All I ask is that they handle the washing machine (gentle cycle) and the dryer without falling apart. I have at least 20, some of which are easily 10 years old, average price $40. Truly, I don't present much of a challenge for them, but so far, they haven't let me down.

And, I can pretty much guarantee this as a topic for my next girl's night out.

Old 05-14-2016, 05:01 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,411,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
The only time I ever put jeans in the laundry after a single wearing is if something actually gets spilled on them, or they get muddy or grass stained or similar.

The whole "If I wore it once, it's dirty," thing is not something I subscribe to. Sometimes, yes. Mostly, no. With the exception of underwear and attire worn for manual labor/messy jobs. I find that washing clothing only when truly needed helps extend the life of clothes. Having an infant, I find myself having to do MUCH more wash-after-a-single-wearing, especially with shirts, due to spitup. It's not my norm, though.

When my children were little, I wore hubby's old tee shirts, old stuff from the Goodwill, or wore smocks I made from old shirts. As long as I kept clean, who cares? That's not the time of your life to be a fashionista

Old 05-14-2016, 05:06 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Who said anything about being a fashionista? Mostly they are plain tees handed down from my husband, or Old Navy tank tops with cardigans layered over them, for ease of nursing/boob access.

What I said was, I wash them after a single wearing because they get breast milk spit up on them routinely, and that it's a departure from pre-baby habits, when I ordinarily did not have a cause to wash my shirts after a single wearing, because they rarely got dirty that quickly.

Old 05-14-2016, 06:12 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,834,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Frankly I've never spent any time wondering about how frequently other women launder their undergarments.
And I have to say...this has never come up in conversation, either.

Old 05-14-2016, 07:08 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,024,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsVaslovik View Post
I can't even imagine why this is an issue with you unless you are just a busybody social control freak. Perhaps you should just mind your own business. People usually do that, unless their own business isn't worth minding, then they mind their neighbors' business, with concern about their moral and spiritual welfare and even their personal hygiene, which affords them the opportunity to shame them into submission which is clearly what you are on about. I don't care to see any more of your posts.
Whoa, man. It's just conversation. Ya know, on a forum that is designed for people to make conversation?

Old 05-14-2016, 07:22 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,411,522 times
Quote:
Who said anything about being a fashionista? Mostly they are plain tees handed down from my husband, or Old Navy tank tops with cardigans layered over them, for ease of nursing/boob access.

What I said was, I wash them after a single wearing because they get breast milk spit up on them routinely, and that it's a departure from pre-baby habits, when I ordinarily did not have a cause to wash my shirts after a single wearing, because they rarely got dirty that quickly.

.....What are you taking issue with me for? I was agreeing with you! Chill

Old 05-14-2016, 07:35 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,022,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Now this I don't understand - something close to your body you wear a couple of times but jeans you wear only once - are you a construction worker or do some sort of manual labor where your jeans get dirty? Do you go commando? Oh No - now someone will start another thread asking "do you go commando"?
Commando with jeans? Yuck, absolutely not! Jeans just seem to me to get dirtier faster than bras do. Maybe that isn't based in reality - but I'm far more comfortable re-wearing a bra than re-wearing jeans. I will re-wear pants that need to be dry cleaned, because I can't afford to dry clean clothing after each wearing.

Old 05-14-2016, 07:55 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,728,899 times
I know bras are not cheap especially if you actually have larger breast and need a good quality bra, but honestly I think the whole some people sweat and smell worse then others is an excuse. I think the actually fact is that some people don't realize how untidy or how bad their hygien is then others. Why should the rest of the world suffer because some people decide to keep themselves untidy?

Last week I was at a store buying something and while waiting in line I could not help feeling sick to my stomach due to this overwhelmingly gross smell. It turned out to be the cashier. She smelled crazy nasty. I would never step out if my home smelling like that. I was just praying I did not accidently touch her while getting the bill.

I think more often then not people who use the "I don't smell bad line", just don't get that they probably do smell bad or look untidy and people are just too polite to tell them. Unless you are living in a desert and there is a drought there should be no excuse for someone in Canada or the USA not to be showered and wearing clean clothes daily. Even if you don't have a lot of clothes you can hand wash bras. I am so tired of people making excuses for having poor hygien.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:07 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,929,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
I think people these days are a bit obsessive about cleanliness to the point where it's not just being clean, but being nearly sterilized and anointed with various creams and tinctures.

I also think this thread demonstrates a gulf between how people of different "classes" view things. Splurge on quality bras so they don't wear out fast in the washer? Just throw stuff in the washer every day? I find it curious that someone simply wouldn't realize that some women need to spend money on bills or food rather than a dozen fancy bras or go to the laundromat instead of using her at-home washer.

Personally, I think having 3-4 bras and handwashing each one when you take it off for the day isn't that challenging. But I also don't think that most people start sweating and stinking after 1 day at the office or wherever.
Right. I'm a cheapskate and there's far better things I'd rather spend my money on than a bra I hate wearing. I have one that I've had for like 3 years now. Won't say how often I wash it since I'd probably be judged harshly. Don't hardly sweat (unless I go out hiking, and I don't wear the bra I wear to work or going out when I'm doing that) and am not big in that area (really don't need a bra most times).

Anyway, if buying expensive bras a lot and washing them frequently is your thing then go for it. Just don't categorize everyone as gross and unclean if they don't do that because for some of them you probably wouldn't know the difference if they washed their bras every time or other time they wore them or if they put it in the wash once a month.

Quote:

That's how I view washing clothes. I typically wear my shirts for work and going out 2-3 times before I put it in the wash. Again, I don't sweat hardly at all so that really helps keep down on things starting to smell bad (some people are different in this area and they wear a shirt once and it needs to be washed because their sweat gets all over it and it smells bad; that's not how it is for me). I spend hardly anything on clothes because shirts last years and years for me. If I had to make a guess I'd say I spend approximately $200-400 each year on clothes. The last time I went out shopping for new shirts was in December; I think it was around $100 that I spent.

Last edited by Basiliximab; 05-14-2016 at 08:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty